User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Haters

MBTI
    INTP

Default Haters

Who can attest to this...

As soon as you are good at something and show any skill or enthusiasm for something, some people are simply going to hate you. Happens a lot at jobs, for instance. If one employee is too popular, there are always a smaller fringe group of haters mixed in there who quietly scheme and spread negative feelings toward that person.

Another example is the critic. There was a poignant documentary within the last couple years featuring comedians and performers who are heckled and their thoughts on the subject. A lot of them express pure confusion and distress in regards to these people who, apparently out of nowhere and for no reason whatsoever, can't stop talking about how much they can't stand them. They do their comedy or their music, which they made because they loved and have a gift for it, and then there's people saying "that guy sucks" or "I hate that guy's music" all the sudden. Look on almost any youtube video and in the comments section you'll find pure hatred spewing from people who somehow think they are so important and awesome that they, despite not having put anything out themselves (or simply loudly release a constant stream of crude ignorance), nor having ever even talked to you, feel justified to make sweeping negative generalizations about you and your efforts.

A few reasons behind it all (sorry if they overlap a little):

1. People feel instinctively terrified and jealous when one person in their midst starts getting too much attention. We start to wonder "what is wrong with me ... if people aren't gathering around me I'm losing control." We might even worry about being forgotten completely.
    2. We think, I look bad in comparison to that person. He is more talented than me and everybody knows it.
    3. It is a somewhat sharp reminder that we might be fundamentally inferior. At least in some ways.
    4. People want everyone to be on the same level. They can't stand anyone above them in any way. Some people are such psychopaths they can't even stand anyone being different at all, let alone on a different level. They'd bully a disabled person. It makes them feel powerful. All of this could be described as a pathetic, delusional attempt to feel powerful.

You hear a lot of rappers talk about this in the songs themselves. Haters are a reality of success. I'm just sayin', I think it's important to know because when some people hear the haters, they believe them. They let those people keep them down. They give up on their gifts/talents because they don't know why these people would even be motivated to spew such hatred, other than it actually being true. But the truth is, those assholes are just plain jealous.

Also found highly in the work of Ayn Rand, especially the Fountainhead. Rand's work is great partly because she recognized something many of us are now well aware of: people hate you if you're smart. They try to undermine you if you are successful. They claim your work as there own, and do as they please with it to whatever extent they can get away with.

In my science classrooms, I felt terrible for certain kids because they were ashamed to say the answers they knew and also to even ask questions, because it meant that they were actually following along and doing well. Those kids who get C's, D's, and F's.... whatever level they're at, that's the level they try to make sure everyone else is at. There were plenty of kids who were very smart, or at least smart enough, to really learn something and contribute, but they are all shut down, checked out. Hell, you don't even have to be smart! People hate you just for caring. This one girl in my first period last year, she asked questions that were super obvious and simplistic, but people would openly ridicule her for asking questions, tell her to shut up, stuff like that. YES I saw this, yes it is real, and yes I told them they were the ones who were stupid, not her.

Word to the wise--99% of the time you're being criticized (and you're NOT hurting anyone), it means you're doing something right.

So basically you're saying haters gon' hate
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Sometimes people have "haters" because they genuinely suck though.

MBTI
    INTP

This is also why I kind of hate The Big Bang Theory. I feel like has too much of a hater's perception towards people like Sheldon. Sheldon makes an incredible contribution to society, and he is "the goofy nerd". Wow, how respectful our society feels about scientists. Howard is basically an astronaut, which is insanely awesome, but his stereotype to fill is more along the lines of "creepy little nerd who lives in mom's basement." What a great impression to make on school kids, BBT. Smart people are social rejects.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lyedecker View Post
    So basically you're saying haters gon' hate
    More like haters are real. Something I wish I had always known, cause I've spent way too much time listening to crap people said to me that really just came from hate, and it's not my problem. I've let people bring me down.

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    More like haters are real.
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    Sometimes people have "haters" because they genuinely suck though.
    I think that's not the case most of the time though. Hence the "99%" above.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I wonder if people who actually hate you with a passion, regardless of social standing or achievement, are considered 'haters'?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kakeli View Post
    I wonder if people who actually hate you with a passion, regardless of social standing or achievement, are considered 'haters'?
    There's not much to wonder. I hate Nazis, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't make me a hater. Sometimes there is a reason to hate, sometimes there's not. But people who have got their own lives and are self-secure don't tend to dwell much on how much they hate this or that.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post

In my science classrooms, I felt terrible for certain kids because they were ashamed to say the answers they knew and also to even ask questions, because it meant that they were actually following along and doing well. Those kids who get C's, D's, and F's.... whatever level they're at, that's the level they try to make sure everyone else is at. There were plenty of kids who were very smart, or at least smart enough, to really learn something and contribute, but they are all shut down, checked out. Hell, you don't even have to be smart! People hate you just for caring. This one girl in my first period last year, she asked questions that were super obvious and simplistic, but people would openly ridicule her for asking questions, tell her to shut up, stuff like that. YES I saw this, yes it is real, and yes I told them they were the ones who were stupid, not her.

Word to the wise--99% of the time you're being criticized (and you're NOT hurting anyone), it means you're doing something right.
    First of all my favorite show is The Big Bang Theory. I feel normal when Sheldon's talking.

Second of all...I knew about this when I was younger.

I was an outcast in high school cause I cared. "Cool" kids don't care. (But they really do care, they just don't show they care. Cause showing that they care would make them feel vulnerable. Nobody likes that feeling.)

I used to be angered by this. Still am but not as much, I have come to peace with it, and feel sorry for those dopes now. I still don't associate with people that don't care. They're shitty. And need to take look at their shadows. I feel bad for them cause they'll always be miserable in life cause they wont ever deal with any of their shadows.

Also I am pretty confident that this problem is solving itself naturally....or I'm just a blind optimist. Either one is good for me.

I think it's being solved, because I am seeing more and more people that are the types of kids that were picked last in gym or what not. And these people are growing up and will someday be adults that will teach their kids better. I really think it's a generation thing. Just my opinion I guess.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12