User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Why is being a good listener a strength? Just curious. I'm sure there are good answers, I probably just never heard them.

I think its the comfort level it gives a person that your not quick to judge, your open, and when necessary you will chime in with something beneficial but only after taking the time to understand what the person said. plus everyone likes to talk about something so when someone is willing to listen it generally makes you feel better about yourself.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm a good listener, too, especially when it comes to listening to myself talk.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    -napping
    -writing short lists
    -procrastination
    you forgot to add "making people laugh"

that list made me lol.
    "To find beauty in loss, hope in darkness."

MBTI
    INFP

- I can empathize with anyone, I can experience what they're feeling.
    - It doesn't seem to work the other way (a)round. (Great because I really wouldn't wish that on anyone)
    - I can understand and enjoy conversation about complex concepts I have had no previous interest in.
    - Saying stuff like this about myself makes me feel like a dick. (Couldn't help it!)
    - Excessively creative - mostly musically... although, having said that, it's probably the thing which causes me the most stress.
    - Don't really need much sleep.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I can dance pretty well, play drums pretty well, write music decently, I notice minute changes in hair or make up like that would put the Queer Eye guys to shame, I'm a good listener, read people well, and a pretty good fucker.
    Drums? How long ya been playing? I started learning but then quit. It was soooo much fun tho.

MBTI
    INxJ

1. I plan well with objective and long range insight. Very rarely do my plans go awry. Even so, I always have a contingency option.

2. I'm able to complete tasks in a quick and efficient manner. I'm great at improving systems that already exist.

3. I enjoy learning novel ideas/theories. I'd say it's a passion. I'm always immersing myself in something new, after having gathered what I wanted from previous interest.

4. I'm accepting of most people and believe they have their place in the world.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Why is being a good listener a strength? Just curious. I'm sure there are good answers, I probably just never heard them.
    Lol ever talk to somebody that just didn't give a crap or didn't pay attention at all? It can get pretty annoying. I mean it prolly won't be as annoying if it's just an aquantiance but when it's someone you're close to it can get really annoying. And also there's the sympathetic aspect...like sometimes you want solutions to your problems but other times you just want someone to listen and be sympathetic...I alwasy assumed that being sypathetic went along with being a good listener.

That's my take anyway.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm passionate, loyal, caring, fun, spontaneous, love to laugh and tell silly jokes. I can find the humor in situations and help people cheer up when they're down. If you really need to call somebody at 3am just to talk, I won't get mad at you. I have a lot of musical knowledge and can help you name that tune or remember who sings that song you're trying to identify. I do my best to show love to every person, and be understanding when you make mistakes. At the same time, I can express my opinion, and I will be honest with you and tell you when I think you've crossed a line, but I will do it in a good-natured way. I'm good at encouragement as I always can find the good in people and situations, regardless of what is going on. I am genuinely grateful for my blessings.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I think its the comfort level it gives a person that your not quick to judge, your open, and when necessary you will chime in with something beneficial but only after taking the time to understand what the person said. plus everyone likes to talk about something so when someone is willing to listen it generally makes you feel better about yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Lol ever talk to somebody that just didn't give a crap or didn't pay attention at all? It can get pretty annoying. I mean it prolly won't be as annoying if it's just an aquantiance but when it's someone you're close to it can get really annoying. And also there's the sympathetic aspect...like sometimes you want solutions to your problems but other times you just want someone to listen and be sympathetic...I alwasy assumed that being sypathetic went along with being a good listener.

That's my take anyway.
    Thank you for the answers. This is true. I see how making others feel comfortable and at peace can be a good thing (for them). I guess the reason I got hung up on it is that it doesn't make you stronger. It just helps other people. So I have a hard time seeing it as a strength. It's more like a weakness, unless you're getting paid to listen or unless you're merely doing it to disarm the other person. I'm half kidding, I'm not that heartless. I don't think it's stupid to be a good listener, I just can't convince myself to see it as a strength. But I'm not trying to be a cold-hearted and opinionated T who wants to shake things up, cause controversy, or draw attention. I suppose self-sacrifice can occasionally be a strength. I've unfortunately just never had that kind of empathic attitude. I guess strengths don't necessarily, by definition, have to make you more powerful.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm good at finding a bright side to any situation- including any situation I get myself into! (for instance- awesome to park in the handicapped spots when you break your leg!)

good at convincing people to be mad at someone other than me if neccissary, though that's probably a sadistic ability come to think of it....

good at remembering ten trillion pieces of random trivia which make me everyone's favorite trivial pursuit partner

good at some unmentionable tasks

excellent bartender.....

good at smoothing over harsh situations when necissary, though I've usually created them in the first place

good at talking to anyone about any topic
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett