User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Culture shock experiences

5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    This is good to know, but I found that my ESFJ friend is always on time to go out, or when she goes to the bathroom. She always nags me about this rice and beans that her mama makes and then I get to hear how wrong mine is, since I have no clue as to how to prepare it. Interesting that you mention that it is socially acceptable to refuse food. My ESFJ bluntly refuses food, straight to my face. (She is from Brazil, North Eastern side). Showers 3 times a day, but quickly.
    Is refusing food considered rude in South Africa? 2-3 showers a day is pretty standard here.

She places the toilet paper in the bin, I thought that was odd. Our sewerage system can handle toilet paper, so I told her, it's ok for that.
    Yeah, here it works that way. Our system is kinda in comparison, but we adapt. Where I used to work, there was a system that made the bathroom smell good, while making a sound that avoids letting people know whether you urinating or pooping, lol. I suppose that's not new though.

4w5 sp/sx

Moved from my hometown in the Southwest US to the Midwest, the pervasiveness of light skinned people freaked me out.

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar

Everything was too small for me in England. Hallways were too narrow, some ceilings to low. The drinks (except for alcohol) were too small with no ice.

I love the fact that words that would not fly in casual conversation in the US are just fine over there (cunt, cock and a host of others).

They had no real A/C and it was one of the hottest summers on record. The place I lived in DC didn't have great A/C either, but the heater was worse.

It's not cool having to sleep in a jacket. It was expensive in England, but I was studying at Cambridge so it wasn't as pricey as London.

DC on the other hand was quite expensive. One bar I went to, the cheapest drink they had was a $6 bottle of Amstel Light.

DC is a liberal town, but its not so bad if you're working in politics b/c there were a lot of other republicans there. If you weren't running in those circles, prepare for people to assume you are the second coming of satan.

An interesting thing happened though. I had a much easier time interacting with Democrats working in politics as well than I did with Democrats not working in politics.

In fact the closest friends I made up there were dyed in the wool Democrats working on the hill.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

2w3 so/sp
    ESFj Ti

@Southern Kross I'm from the US, I've been here a few months.
    {The Diplomat}