User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Refusing Tips

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Never refuse a good "tip".
    Just the tip?

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Sucks as a system, but as a former server, refusal to tip on principle means your server is losing money to serve you.
    This is my view too. I would prefer that the USA was a non-tipping culture as in Australia. However, it isn't. So I tip. I don't feel that someone earning a meager wage should be made to shoulder a real cost for a symbolic political statement on my part. In a tipping culture, a tip should be assumed as part of the cost of eating out. There's a reason that a $25 meal in a non-tipping culture costs $20 in a tipping culture.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post

Play it, babies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I rarely do, and am usually criticized for it by friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    I never tip anyone. Ever.

@Nicodemus

@Saudade

I have to ask. I don't know where you live or where you eat out, because that may play a part in your view. The american service industry (my experience of it) is some of the best in the world and the reason for this is because there is a tip incentive and this is how front of house staff pay their rent. Compared to Europe where the majority of the service industry is poor because they are mostly earning minimum wage, there are no career servers bartenders in Europe for the most part. Bartenders often reach a certain level of skill and the money is not there to warrant them continuing so they go in to another area of work. My point is that without tips service in america would be of a lesser standard. The other point I want to make is that in other jobs the wage is built in, if it wasn't it would be like getting assistance from a lawyer (for example) and paying his company the fee and not giving the man / woman who looked after you and helped you anything for the time and energy they put in to it. The service industry can really make you hate people. There will always be those who exploit a given system though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    This is my view too. I would prefer that the USA was a non-tipping culture as in Australia. However, it isn't. So I tip. I don't feel that someone earning a meager wage should be made to shoulder a real cost for a symbolic political statement on my part. In a tipping culture, a tip should be assumed as part of the cost of eating out. There's a reason that a $25 meal in a non-tipping culture costs $20 in a tipping culture.
    The point is it separates the wheat from the chaff. If someone truly gives you bad service you don't have to pay them. As you already pointed out if it wasn't a tipping culture you would be paying more for the experience anyway.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I tip and I tip well. I live in the States, I live in a place that has high standards for food service and has a very high cost of living. I would tip well anywhere else, also. These are people who work hard and their fair compensation depends on social custom. If I do not wish to participate in those customs, then I don't eat out.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    I have to ask. I don't know where you live or where you eat out, because that may play a part in your view. The american service industry (my experience of it) is some of the best in the world and the reason for this is because there is a tip incentive and this is how front of house staff pay their rent. Compared to Europe where the majority of the service industry is poor because they are mostly earning minimum wage, there are no career servers bartenders in Europe for the most part. Bartenders often reach a certain level of skill and the money is not there to warrant them continuing so they go in to another area of work. My point is that without tips service in america would be of a lesser standard. The other point I want to make is that in other jobs the wage is built in, if it wasn't it would be like getting assistance from a lawyer (for example) and paying his company the fee and not giving the man / woman who looked after you and helped you anything for the time and energy they put in to it. The service industry can really make you hate people. There will always be those who exploit a given system though.
    What are you asking?

I live in Germany, where tips make up, as I understand it, a considerable amount of what service people earn. I do, however, find that system idiotic. If they deserve more, they should be paid more. My measly tip will not help anyone survive, so rather than support the system by giving it, I make a small, more or less symbolic contribution to a revision of said system.

The point is it separates the wheat from the chaff. If someone truly gives you bad service you don't have to pay them. As you already pointed out if it wasn't a tipping culture you would be paying more for the experience anyway.
    Well, clearly. All I was saying is that I don't agree with refusing to ever tip on principle.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    What are you asking?

I live in Germany, where tips make up, as I understand it, a considerable amount of what service people earn. I do, however, find that system idiotic. If they deserve more, they should be paid more. My measly tip will not help anyone survive, so rather than support the system by giving it, I make a small, more or less symbolic contribution to a revision of said system.
    I was asking what your reasoning and perspective on this stance is. I haven't been to Germany so I can't say what impact the system has on the standards of the industry, I know that in America it has created a higher standard. Still I don't want to argue with you, I only want to understand where you come from. What do you mean by "I make a small, more or less symbolic contribution to a revision of said system."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, clearly. All I was saying is that I don't agree with refusing to ever tip on principle.
    Yes I understand. I was referring to you saying that you would prefer the system was different. I would point out though that the economy in Australia is a lot better than in America. I know people that have moved out there and done fairly mundane jobs and managed to save a substantial amount of money.

I know that in America it has created a higher standard.
    Can you actually know that, I wonder. Is the system still so new that you can make a comparison?

What do you mean by "I make a small, more or less symbolic contribution to a revision of said system."
    If such services are to live on, as I imagine they will for quite some time, then there are two alternatives: either the worker are paid what they deserves (a low to average income), or they get what they deserve though a combination of pay and tips. I cast my vote by refusing to tip. My decision is akin to that of vegetarians who refuse to eat meat, knowing that their contribution to ending the mass slaughter of cattle is mostly symbolic in nature.

Good service should be the standard, as good work should be the standard in all fields. No tips for that. If, on the other hand, a waiter were to go out of his way to give my a blowjob on top of a good meal, I would consider that extraordinary service, and tip accordingly.