User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default Unrealistic Standards

I just saw this picture online, and before I over think the situation and pass up the opportunity to posit this discussion to our community, here it is:

What are your thoughts?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Haha, very revealing way to show how much more thought goes into the feminine gender image. I think it's appropriate to a point to combat institutionalized disadvantage. On the other hand, something more should be said for He-Man.

I think that people will see this as a conflict by some sort of human deficiency to see opposites as opponents, which is sadly unfortunate.

garbage

Well, yeah. While guys can and do have body issues, they're not as socially conditioned as women into having body issues in the first place. There's a societal backlash from mean ol' feminists because they actually have something to backlash against.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Of course there are also unfair standards for men, but this picture seems really stupid to me.

He-Man is much less of a cult figure than Barbie, he is much less influential, less long-living and he is not representative of the type of figure/role model presented to boys, as far as I know. He is not designed to play "imitating real life". He is also much less close to the physical role model found in advertisement, Hollywood movies, etc. There definitely are unrealistic ideals boys are supposed to aspire to, but using He-man as an example is ridiculous. I get the impression (also from the wording of the text) that this was composed by someone whose main goal is not to call attention to the very real problems of men but who simply hates women/feminism. Butthurt.

In summary: generally right basic idea, very bad execution
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

I think we should be required to wear boxes spray painted ssilver and speak in binary

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Of course there are also unfair standards for men, but this picture seems really stupid to me.

He-Man is much less of a cult figure than Barbie, he is much less influential, less long-living and he is not representative of the type of figure/role model presented to boys, as far as I know. He is not designed to play "imitating real life". He is also much less close to the physical role model found in advertisement, Hollywood movies, etc. There definitely are unrealistic ideals boys are supposed to aspire to, but using He-man as an example is ridiculous. I get the impression (also from the wording of the text) that this was composed by someone whose main goal is not to call attention to the very real problems of men but who simply hates women/feminism. Butthurt.

In summary: generally right basic idea, very bad execution
    There is no singular point of reference for this phenomenon, as there is with Barbie. There is no singular term that defines the breadth of masculinity. Barbie is a meme turned to the extreme.

That does not subvert to any degree the occurrence of males feeling substandard to cultural norms.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The OP photo does sound like it is written by someone who just wants to be snotty towards feminism.

That being said, He-Man may not singularly dominate the image issue like Barbie does, but other than He-Man, ask yourself what all the other fictional male heroes and male action figures and so forth look like. They look roughly like He-Man. There is unmistakably a pressure on men to big in every way. Tall, muscular, yes, even having a big dick. There is also conveyed a certain like of aestheticism, the antithesis of Barbie's frills.

And we debate how much truth there is to this, but given the whole variety of young males that seem to resent a feeling of being pushed into the shadows by jocks throughout high-school and maybe into college, people definitely do seem to perceive this standard as playing a part in reality.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The OP photo does sound like it is written by someone who just wants to be snotty towards feminism.
    The word we're all looking for is "humor", the dispairity in neurological priming that piques particular interests.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

There is an important difference to note in how those standards are realised.

For example, the male stereotypes identified by He-man and hero's of a similar bent, are generally considered to be positives, even if they do contribute to the pressure of unrealistic standards on men and they do...I agree with that notion.

However the female stereotypes are always considered in direct regard to how they are used for subjugation in favour of the male ones. In other words even when the traits of barbie are held up as a standard women should strive for, they are still considered inferior to the males ones, even in men where the male traits are scarce.

I suppose it sounds like I am trying to trivialise the impact these standards have on men, which isn't true, but like @Magic Poriferan said the image itself, (not you of course @superunknown), gives the impression of a double-standard in favour of image issues towards women. There is a degree of truth to that, but whereas men generally benefit from their stereotypes....women do not. Mainly because men are usually seen as more competent and 'strong', being able to deal with what comes to hand more readily, whereas women are stereotypically sidelined....but of course this is basic shit we all know fairly well by now.

Both are problems for men and women, but it's a matter of degrees to which one is a more pressing issue to the people it concerns. Although the effects they have are quite interesting in their difference.

For example, contrast the young girl who forces herself to puke in order to maintain a slim figure which her gender culture dictates is of importance for a woman because physical attractiveness is the only important aspect of females, with the man who believes he can avoid his emotional issues which his gender culture tells him are wrong for him to feel by bulking up obsessively. There are exceptions to that of course, but that's why it's called an exception.

In both cases there is a great deal of damage being done to the individual. I would say though, that one causes many more suicides over body image than the other. Or maybe one is merely paid more attention to the other....hey I admit to no statistics on this, just my ignorant opinion.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I just saw this picture online, and before I over think the situation and pass up the opportunity to posit this discussion to our community, here it is:

What are your thoughts?
    80% of women on OK Cupid think the men on that site are "ugly" or below average in appearance. Really? (source document http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/yo...online-dating/) commentary http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/th...ics-of-beauty/

Here is a link discussing the subject more in "depth" from a male perspective http://alvanista.wordpress.com/2009/...ly-head-again/

I'm very much inclined to think that most women say one thing but act on/subconsciously want another. I think this is related to social pressure and a cultural thing, at least in the U.S.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft