User Tag List

View Poll Results: How many credit cards do you have?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-5

22 66.67%
  • 5-10

0 0%
  • 10-15

1 3.03%
  • 15-20

0 0%
  • 20+

1 3.03%
  • Don't use credit cards.

9 27.27%
First 12345 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I like that idea for money sharing. I've been thinking about how to manage that, when we start taking on bigger expenses together.
    The way we handle it is that we first calculated our approximate total monthly bills, then we each contribute the same percentage of our income to that joint account each month.

Between the two of us, we essentially have three accounts. We treat the grand sum total of all three as a hardline amount, of course, but we treat the exact amount in each of those three accounts as an approximation. We can shuttle some money back and forth without getting all pissed off at one another.

I'd say that it works pretty well.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post

What do you use? I've been using Mint, but am always on the lookout for something better.
    Quicken. I know that Mint is free but I like that Quicken will take our tax info right from it to Turbo Tax (we have some rental property) and it does great budgeting.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    yupp

i suck at credit cards because i suck at money because i spend more than i have with credit cards and end up in debt. I really don't know the cost of living, i just throw darts at life and hope i don't starve. though I have budgetted the amount i spend on groceries each week

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    0, but do have a debit card.

I've been thinking about getting a credit card or two with a good rewards program. I'd pay it off every month, but could take advantage of the bonuses, plus have it help my credit score.
    As long as you use them as you should, your credit will improve drastically. My son went from no credit to a score in the 700's in just a couple years. He financed a car (about 9k) and got an unsecured credit card with a low limit to start.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    The way we handle it is that we first calculated our approximate total monthly bills, then we each contribute the same percentage of our income to that joint account each month.

Between the two of us, we essentially have three accounts. We treat the grand sum total of all three as a hardline amount, of course, but we treat the exact amount in each of those three accounts as an approximation. We can shuttle some money back and forth without getting all pissed off at one another.

I'd say that it works pretty well.
    That's pretty neat. I really like the idea of percentage of income, too. My boyfriend and I currently go about 50/50 on shared things - we take turns with joint purchases, like eating out - each pay for whatever we buy separately, and help one another out depending on who's got more extra money at the moment. I think it's low-stress and we haven't had any animosity over it, but I've been thinking about the future when we start paying more and more things together, and if we eventually get married whether we would create a joint account or just keep going as we are now. The more I read the more I'm thinking I'd like to do like you two and retain both individual accounts as well as creating a joint one.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Debit card only. The husband has a company card but that doesn't count, of course.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

We actually have three debits, now that I think about it. One is from my husband's job so they can pay him into that if something gets screwed up, but we can also have a set amount of money deducted from his check to go into that. So we put in a little each week as an emergency fund.

I have the household debit and my husband has a debit I put money in for his lunches and WoW or whatever and I can quick get him money for a room if he gets stranded out of town if his work truck breaks down.

No credit, though. It's too easy to get in trouble with those when you live hand to mouth, unless you're really good with money and I'm not.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

That poll gave me a heart attack. How many people actually have more than 5? I would change it to lower numbers.

I have three. And that's three too many. I refuse to get any more and I'll just be working on paying off what I got.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I tried avoiding having a credit card, but in the end the banks won, since I couldn't rent a car without a credit card. makes sense when doing international travelling.

MBTI
    INTP

I have two that I use regularly. The limits on each are too low to use only one at a time. I technically have three more but never use them.