12 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Default What does entitlement mean?

Doesn't everyone act entitled to certain things? Doesn't everyone expect certain things of the world? Is the issue really "entitlement", or is it entitlement to the "wrong things"? Interesting how those things are never specified.. because perhaps if they were, an actual conversation might happen. You might find out if someone really expects that, or not. You might find out that you act entitled to that thing too. You might realize that it's not really the "entitled" attitude about certain people that bothers you, but something else, and that it's only a rationalization. There are limitless possibilities, but this will never be known, because only "entitlement" is discussed.

It's really hard to read someone complain about "entitlement" and not think that it really means "I hate you for not having shit self-esteem." I haven't been able to figure anything else out.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I agree that it's a vague term that's easy to throw around because of its negative connotation, and kinda buzz-wordy magical powers. It is a word, though, that's easily qualified. Entitled to ______ is natural and within the word's scope. I hate the abuse of this sort of emotionally-charged, nondescript language because it facilitates manipulation. I am in support of a discussion (or many discussions the world over) about what any given person's idea of "entitlement" means when they use it in a given situation.

I 'd bet a non-vital organ that lots of people would have a hard time if questioned as to what exactly they meant when using the term in a debate or even more so in a flippant accusation.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

As I understand it, it's not about what one is specifically entitled to. "Entitled" is a jab at somebody who unquestioningly accepts that a situation will go a certain way for them. Lack of foresight.

It's also a pretty loaded word right now, as Nicolita points out. Words like that can be used as emotional artillery in hopes that the reciever will be blinded by the explosion and not notice how sloppily they are truly being used.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

A false sense of entitlement occurs when rights that are not established are simply assumed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I hate the abuse of this sort of emotionally-charged, nondescript language because it facilitates manipulation.
    That is generally my sense as well. Trendy word. Though the word does have a lot of value in the English language, I see it being abused these days and it often comes across as a vague jab (flippant accusation as you said) in situations where a person doesn't have anything valid to say.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    yupp

entitlement means to me when one is provided for and is privilaged but still wants more and believes they deserve more than they deserve. I just found out i'm entitled. which i should have known given my background

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Doesn't everyone act entitled to certain things? Doesn't everyone expect certain things of the world? Is the issue really "entitlement", or is it entitlement to the "wrong things"? Interesting how those things are never specified.. because perhaps if they were, an actual conversation might happen. You might find out if someone really expects that, or not. You might find out that you act entitled to that thing too. You might realize that it's not really the "entitled" attitude about certain people that bothers you, but something else, and that it's only a rationalization. There are limitless possibilities, but this will never be known, because only "entitlement" is discussed.

It's really hard to read someone complain about "entitlement" and not think that it really means "I hate you for not having shit self-esteem." I haven't been able to figure anything else out.
    It means that I have to work overtime to raise a family on a pittance, while pure strangers get to take a portion of what I work hard for because they are "entitled" to a piece of me.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    entitlement means to me when one is provided for and is privilaged but still wants more and believes they deserve more than they deserve. I just found out i'm entitled. which i should have known given my background
    My problem with that definition is that, as a general rule, humans want more. Wanting things tends not to go away when people have things, they just want something else. Unless they are really zen, but how many people are? Probably not that many.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    My problem with that definition is that, as a general rule, humans want more. Wanting things tends not to go away when people have things, they just want something else. Unless they are really zen, but how many people are? Probably not that many.
    the keyword is undeserved

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

What do people deserve? Who deserves what? Do men deserve some things, and women deserve other things? Usually, I'd say that people deserve what makes them happy, as long as it doesn't make too many other people unhappy.( How much is too many, I'm not sure about.) Hurting people doen't make people happy, and therefore, someone who is constantly hurting people are immature. Utilitarianism.

Visit my Johari: