User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default Feminism, continued?

    My geek of an INTJ gave me this article today

    Women spend more on smartphones than men, they spend one and a half times as much on technology and influence 57% of new technology purchases. The glossy mags have yet to acknowledge that women are now fully involved as technology consumers.
    When I put this accusation to one of the UK's leading glossy-mag editors she responded that her publication did indeed cover technology seriously. As evidence she pointed me to a one-paragraph review of an espresso-maker.

    It's ironic that these bastions of feminism, when they do choose to talk about technology, usually end up covering domestic, kitchen or beauty appliances. It's almost as if they truly believe that a woman's place is in the home.

    Note: if this turns into a serious discussion, the thread should probably be moved to the political forum.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  2. #2
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    "Glossies" are feminist "bastions" now? That's an extremely dubious claim. Is your point that examples such as this prove they are no longer feminist amar? I didn't know they ever were...
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  3. #3
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    "Glossies" are feminist "bastions" now? That's an extremely dubious claim. Is your point that examples such as this prove they are no longer feminist amar? I didn't know they ever were...
    See, this is why I put this in the bonfire. Im not the author of this article here, I just found the pov rather humorous and wanted to share it and see whether people agreed or disagreed with the author's view.

    I'm not making any claims, I just quoted the parts of the article I found most intriguing as statements.

    But, to play devil's advocate: I guess that they're called bastions coz most of the CEOs are successful career women, and many of those magazines also publish 'trendy' views in society, and articles on feminism are definitely part of that.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  4. #4
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    If I were a "glossy-mag", I wouldn't do a lot of promoting of anything that could give internet access either. It's like instigating your own death. Anything, really, that would remind the reader they don't need a magazine anymore.

    And, claiming they're saying women belong at home just because they covered espresso machines is stretching it. Saying they're bad at covering technology would be a better claim.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  5. #5
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    But, to play devil's advocate: I guess that they're called bastions coz most of the CEOs are successful career women, and many of those magazines also publish 'trendy' views in society, and articles on feminism are definitely part of that.
    I'm not sure where even to start with this. How many women read these magazines anyway? I certainly don't, but that's because there is little to interest me in them. When I want to read about technology, I would never turn to something like Elle or Glamour. I assume as with any other business that they cater to what their customers want, which is a pretty dismal indictment of their readership. So, do they have an incentive to broaden their horizons to try to attract new customers? It's almost an issue of the chicken or the egg.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  6. #6
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I'm not sure where even to start with this. How many women read these magazines anyway? I certainly don't, but that's because there is little to interest me in them. When I want to read about technology, I would never turn to something like Elle or Glamour. I assume as with any other business that they cater to what their customers want, which is a pretty dismal indictment of their readership. So, do they have an incentive to broaden their horizons to try to attract new customers? It's almost an issue of the chicken or the egg.
    Barring the fact that this implies if you read Glamour magazine you're dismal..

    Tons of women read magazines. And yes, they're starting to plug more and more technology into those magazines. And it's awful at best--a good picture and some good words can turn an awful product into something that looks great. For people who aren't so tech savvy, a magazine on technology is absolutely as overwhelming as a medical journal would be. So, they see something cute and simple and marketed towards them, and so they assume it's alright and good. It's pretty standard behavior, actually.

    I wouldn't go all the way to a tech convention to figure out which phone I want. You know what I'd do? I'd ask around to my friends, and see what websites I like have displayed. And that's about as much as I'd care to research on the topic. So, I can see it being an important thing to point out.

    With that said.. I don't think it's sexist to have a magazine catering to beauty tips, and sex tips, etc. etc. People actually really like that stuff. Just youtube 'make up tutorial' and your computer will explode, I swear it will. Catering to that--there's nothing wrong with it. But integrating more things like current technology into features and issues would probably bring a positive reaction from readers more-so than not.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  7. #7
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    With that said.. I don't think it's sexist to have a magazine catering to beauty tips, and sex tips, etc. etc. People actually really like that stuff. Just youtube 'make up tutorial' and your computer will explode, I swear it will. Catering to that--there's nothing wrong with it. But integrating more things like current technology into features and issues would probably bring a positive reaction from readers more-so than not.
    I think it's sexist to have a magazine aimed at mainstream women* that caters only to beauty and sex tips. I certainly hope integrating more substantive content on topics like technology, finance, even art and travel would bring a positive reaction. Either these magazines have done their homework, however, and determined from market research that it won't, or they are behind the times and out of touch with their readership.


    *I'm assuming this is their audience
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  8. #8
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I think it's sexist to have a magazine aimed at mainstream women* that caters only to beauty and sex tips. I certainly hope integrating more substantive content on topics like technology, finance, even art and travel would bring a positive reaction. Either these magazines have done their homework, however, and determined from market research that it won't, or they are behind the times and out of touch with their readership.


    *I'm assuming this is their audience
    Okayy.. But there are literally a ton of other magazines. Stores carry loads of them--and most of them are gender neutral. No one is limiting the female buying power here. They're buying it because they like it. Which, honestly, is completely fine. Some people read to learn--some read for the same reasons people watch trash TV. I don't think anyone's oppressing women by making girly magazines girly. Magazines are a very specific niche in general. Buy a gun magazine and they won't tell you how to decorate your home with antlers. They'll usually talk about guns--and only guns. Which is generally why someone bought that magazine.

    Glamour is a stereotypical girly magazine that talks about shopping and make up--and they typically don't branch out much more than that. I'd argue that girly magazines like that actually have more versatile topics than most magazines--you'll never see an article not related to travel in travel magazines. But girly magazines will have stories from across the country, things like 'how to check yourself for breast cancer', things that are trending in other areas of the world, etc.

    I'm just saying it'd be nice to see them plug in a few more ads for technology that really does rock because girls ARE using tons of technology. But it's not at all something I would expect. Magazines are very, very specific to their target audiences. I really don't want my issues of 'Self' to be filled with tons of things about computers and cool new software--I'm reading it for workout tips, running shoes people have tried, etc. An occasional side-bar article is fine, and most magazines do do that, but they are not the standard for the industry.

    It's not at all uncommon to buy a Glamour magazine, and then buy a Technology magazine along side it. They each have their merits, and the audience can create a lot of reading material with a few books on choice subjects.

    Also, just to mention, I've read quite a few GQ magazines--they seem almost cookie-cutter identical. Replace high heels with men's dress shoes, and dresses with suits, and I swear it's the same damn thing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  9. #9
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Also, just to mention, I've read quite a few GQ magazines--they seem almost cookie-cutter identical. Replace high heels with men's dress shoes, and dresses with suits, and I swear it's the same damn thing.
    So you are saying that there is a niche for fashion/appearance/sex advice magazines targeted at each gender, neither of which would include much on other topics? That makes sense, and I certainly have no personal experience that contradicts it since I don't read these things. I was assuming magazines like Glamour were more generic, or perhaps broader in scope. Perhaps we should be looking instead at magazines like Woman's Day or Family Circle (are these even around any longer?).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  10. #10
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    So you are saying that there is a niche for fashion/appearance/sex advice magazines targeted at each gender, neither of which would include much on other topics? That makes sense, and I certainly have no personal experience that contradicts it since I don't read these things. I was assuming magazines like Glamour were more generic, or perhaps broader in scope. Perhaps we should be looking instead at magazines like Woman's Day or Family Circle (are these even around any longer?).
    Both are. (around still, that is.) Woman's Day is... admittedly probably the worst for the name only.. but since I'm not really rallying to change the name of the Redskins, chances are I'm not going to really care what they call their magazine either.

    Yeah, This is GQ magazine.

    http://www.gq.com/ They talk about sex tips, how to do this to a girl, what to look for that car, how to dress for x occasion, where to shop, razors to buy, how to camp like a gentleman (I'm pretty sure I read that article once in the latrine while being so sick I couldn't get back to my bedroom without having to make the trip back out again.. TMI, I know.) and blah blah blah. It's really very cookie-cutter. Just put blue instead of pink on something and it's suddenly for a boy--regardless of the fact that it's the same machine or toy.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Similar Threads

  1. Analyzing Famous People Segment (To Be Continued And Taking Requests)..
    By Mondo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 01:33 PM
  2. Conservative Feminism?
    By Eileen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 01:10 AM
  3. The war of the buses continues...
    By BerberElla in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 11:33 AM
  4. Feminism
    By GZA in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
  5. People continuing to smoke Cigarettes
    By Athenian200 in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 11:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO