User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    XXFP

Re: Tone

I think that this hierarchy has value, and what it comes to having a 'truth seeking discussion' I think what has been presented is pretty spot on.

However, humans are social creatures. When someone decides to create competition with you by belittling with name calling or ad-hominems, it can be taken as an attack on your status. To the rational part of my mind, what importance is status? Facts and truth don't care about status!

But humans do care about such things. One commenter at funtensity's link above writes:

The way you say something may signal that you are trying to diminish their status. If you say it with a sufficiently negative tone, it may even be taken as a signal (a generally reliable signal) that you care more about diminishing their status than about having a truth-seeking discussion.
    I'd agree with this generalization, but I'd add that at times in human interaction there is a muddy mix between demonstrating a logical, cohesive argument and addressing the fact that the other person is out of line.

I think the place this gets out of hand is where 'status' (however classified) is too heavily relied upon to judge the merit of an argument rather than simply to speak to status within the group.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by funtensity View Post
    We can also imagine a DH8, which is to collaboratively discover the strengths and weaknesses of each argument, make each argument as strong as possible and rationally agree on how much belief should be assigned to each.
    That's an interesting one here. Hmm. Impossible while there is competition. Likely needs to be proceeded by the collaborators demonstrating to each other they are trustworthy and have a common goal.

WALMART

where is physical violence

MBTI
    XXFP

IMO, physical violence is most often a form of resolution rather than an actual sort of disagreement.

Sometimes is based in foolish reasoning, but you might come to the conclusion after carefully finding and refuting the central point that someone is against your goals or is enough danger that you think you should physically incapacitate them.

A prerequisite is that you think collaboration is not possible.

MBTI
    ISTP

All that testosterone and angst gets in the way of rational discourse. Best to duke it out beforehand and the have an eminently reasonable disagreement over whiskey afterwards. Like real men.