User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    EXXP

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    It was 7 million! If 7 billion people died, that'd be everyone on the planet, and you and your loved one probably wouldn't be able to survive if that happened. What would the world do without INTPs catching these details and discrepancies?

Blah, blah, blah.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

When you're responsible for the death of the entire human race including yourself and your loved one, just remember I said I told you so before you die because I won't be alive to tell you.

MBTI
    ISTx

I don't think I could sacrifice a ton of people to spare one, no matter how strong the bond/love. The alternative is just unethical and very selfish to me and I would think (hope) my loved one would more than understand if I was faced with such a dilemma.

MBTI
    EXXP

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    When you're responsible for the death of the entire human race including yourself and your loved one, just remember I said I told you so before you die because I won't be alive to tell you.

Yeah, well detail man it could be my hypothetical romantic love and then I might not choose to save them over 7 billion so I might not have to remember you told me so.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Btw, the Earth's population is closer to 7 billion. Carry on...
    I am so in a Dr. Evil moment-
    I will hold the Earth ransom for .... 1 million dollars dun dun dun!!!!!!!!!!

umm that's actually not a lot of money these days sir

okay then 100 BILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!

See it is funny because I said the world had 7 million people and that was such a wrong number because there are actually 7 billion people- I got my millions and billions all mixed up just like Dr. Evil-
    isn't that hilarious
    huh? huh?

oh and yes- I would even sacrifice 7 BILLION,lol for the sake of saving hubby- I am comfortable with my selfishness and even if he said oh no don't rescue me save the people - always with the saving the people and the greater good blah blah blah -he would have to forgive me see too because I would be the only other person left alive and since he is an extravert- he'd come back around even if he was upset with me,lol.
    plus you've heard of make up sex but what about repopulate the planet sex,lol

also cafe- I admire your style,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    ISTP

I'd probably sacrifice whatever number of people you think of in favor of saving my loved one. Not saving my loved one would haunt me forever, I could forget about those other people.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INxJ

I could never sacrifice 7 million for one person. There are other variables though. If I could eliminate only people that committed heinous crimes like murder, I would go that far.
    Last edited by 01011010; 07-12-2008 at 05:15 PM.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Maybe I'll get a elementary school named after me.
    Not with grammar like that, you won't.

Regarding your OP, ladypink, I'm first going to go all annoying NT on you. You said that you would endanger the world to save your hubby. What do you mean by "endanger"? Before I could answer the question, I'd need to know how much risk I'd be putting the rest of the world in to save my loved one. Everything I do could theoretically start a chain of events that ultimately destroyed the world, and yet I keep doing things, because the risk is so incredibly small. So weighing an action against the risk of killing everyone on Earth depends entirely on the degree of risk.

But most of the discussion in this thread appears to be based on the assumption that you'd be choosing between the loss of your loved one or the absolutely certain loss of everyone else on the planet. So going on that assumption:

I would say that the right thing to do would be to save the other 7 billion people and let my loved one die. No question about it. Just because this person happens to be loved by me, no matter how deeply, doesn't make them worth more than the other people. After all, a lot of those 7 billion people are deeply loved by someone, and I'm not any more important than those someones, and my love isn't worth more than theirs.

Now if I actually had to make this decision, would I do the right thing? I don't know. If it was an instinctive, split-second decision, yeah, it's a good chance I'd let everyone else die to save the one person most important to me. But if I was given time to think about it, then decide, I'd like to think that I'd have the strength of character to do the right thing, and choose to save 7 billion living, breathing, loving, loved, real people over the life of one. One thing to consider is that it would be a fate worse than death for my loved one to spend the rest of their life knowing that their life had been spared at the cost of everyone else. And a lot of those people who I let die would be people that my loved one cared about and loved, and I would have taken them away. And if the loss of all these billions of people wasn't the kind of thing that would torment my loved one immensely, then they wouldn't be my loved one. I couldn't develop that kind of deep affection for someone who wouldn't be tormented by that.

Here's a thought exercise: If you were going to be killed first, then after you were gone either your husband would be killed, or the other 7 billion people on Earth would be killed (determined by a decision you made before dying), would you still make the same choice?
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

This is an interesting idea. But I arrived at my answer fairly easily. I'd have to save the 7 billion instead of the one. I couldn't live with myself, and my loved one probably wouldn't be able to either. It would be like an exponentially more severe version of the guilt that survivors of plane crashes and natural disasters feel. How could we take joy in life knowing that every day we live is paid for with the blood of 7 billion innocent people? Nothing would taste good, nothing would feel good. I think if you save your loved one thinking that your relationship will remain the same after this incident, you are in for disappointment.

Besides, if watching the Twilight Zone has taught me anything, it's that making a bargain like this is just an opportunity for God to show off his sense of irony. If I saved my loved one, she'd probably kill herself out of guilt and leave me alone.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

For now I'll pray I don't have to make the decision then make it if and when I absolutely have to.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]