User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If we had time to think about it and discuss it, I would maybe save other people. If it was my kneejerk reaction, I'd probably let most people die and save my man. If it was one of my kids, chances are I would not only let everybody die, but I would kill them myself, in order to save my young. I think that this is probably not a good thing, but sometimes the mind doesn't override the mammal.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Who would turn out to be you.

kill me instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    If we had time to think about it and discuss it, I would maybe save other people. If it was my kneejerk reaction, I'd probably let most people die and save my man. If it was one of my kids, chances are I would not only let everybody die, but I would kill them myself, in order to save my young. I think that this is probably not a good thing, but sometimes the mind doesn't override the mammal.
    Oh, I love you.

"Cafe, instead of saving her kids, kills everyone else."

Same outcome.
    Slightly different solution.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

You have to realize that if 100 people died cause you chose your loved one, there is probably at least one person that loved one of the 100 dead people that'd be willing to kill you and your loved one.

So if you choose to let lots of people die for your loved one, you better go live in a cave in a mountain somewhere.

Enneagram
    1w2

The weight of allowing thousands/millions/billions of people die over one person even if you love that person is an atrocious idea to me. I'd consider the person who allowed it to happen a sociopath. The human race is dead because of what? I strongly believe the right thing to do in a situation like this is to let your one person go. I don't think it means that you don't love the person. Do I love humanity or the one person more? I've never felt that deeply for someone so maybe my mind will change. This reminds me of this Winnie the Pooh quote I see:

If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.
    I can't explain why I don't like this quote but it's always bothered me. I think it superficially seems like a beautiful sentiment. It seems to me what it's really saying is I don't care about the one day you have to live without me I just want to make sure I don't have to live without you. I feel like there's a bunch of stuff embedded that idea that disturbs me. But I'm sure many people think it's romantic and I guess it is.*shrug*

If I were on the the one who had to die I hope I'd be brave enough to die to save humanity. Maybe I'll get a elementary school named after me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.

I can't explain why I don't like this quote but it's always bothered me. I think it superficially seems like a beautiful sentiment. It seems to me what it's really saying is I don't care about the one day you have to live without me I just want to make sure I don't have to live without you.
    Actually, that is my initial impression of it as well.

If I were on the the one who had to die I hope I'd be brave enough to die to save humanity. Maybe I'll get a elementary school named after me.
    Herbert Hoover has at least one.
    How hard can it be?

Honestly, the easy answer is to sacrifice oneself.
    It's harder when you have to let someone else die, and live with the ramifications.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    You have to realize that if 100 people died cause you chose your loved one, there is probably at least one person that loved one of the 100 dead people that'd be willing to kill you and your loved one.
    That wouldn't enter into the ethical question of it for me at all.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    Hubby and I were watching BattleStar Galactica- a great show by the way and if you don't like it then you are wrong and should pray for forgiveness,lol,

anywho-
    there is an episode where the commander puts the lives of everyone which is close to 50,000 people left of man in the show in danger for the sake of trying to save one person called Star Buck.

I couldn't help but say that I would do the same thing for my hubby- I would endanger the world- 7 million people to try to save my one hubby-
    if 7 million people and my hubby were hanging off of a cliff- I'd save my hubby,lol. Do I think that is noble- not at all- but it's honest-

I think it is interesting though- what people's bending limits are

What do you think your bending limit is for the sake of your loved one?
    At what point do you put your principles behind your values?
    Btw, the Earth's population is closer to 7 billion. Carry on...
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

At first, I thought this was a thread to trick everyone into posting their telephone numbers.

MBTI
    EXXP

I don't have a romantic 'loved' one right now, so I'd let my hypothetical loved one die and save the 7 billion. Should I have a romantic loved one, I don't know. That kind of love is powerful.

But, I'm with cafe concerning my kid.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SillyGoose View Post
    I don't have a romantic 'loved' one right now, so I'd let my hypothetical loved one die and save the 7 billion. Should I have a romantic loved one, I don't know. That kind of love is powerful.

But, I'm with cafe concerning my kid.
    It was 7 million! If 7 billion people died, that'd be everyone on the planet, and you and your loved one probably wouldn't be able to survive if that happened. What would the world do without INTPs catching these details and discrepancies?