User Tag List

First 2345 Last

It sounds like a generic letter to me too. I would respond...

"No worries" or "It's all good" or "Give me money, I am hungry"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    So I got this message in the mail from a guy I knew long ago. I thought it would be interesting to hear how people of various belief systems would address this person if they were in my shoes.

Tell me what you think.

<insert your name>,

<insert your name> I want to apologize for being such a poor representative of Jesus Christ growing up. I ask your forgiveness in all the ways that I belittled you whether it was verbal or physical or even if I was something I didn’t do for you that I should’ve. You see growing up it might have looked like I was a Christ follower on the outside. Sure I was active in Church and I was supposed to be living as an example of a Christ-follower, but I didn’t really believe.
    It wasn’t until a few years ago that I faced some direct challenges in my life that forced me to stop and reconsider who Jesus Christ really is, and if I really was living for Him, and if I wanted to live for Him. See I knew I wasn’t living as though I really believed.
    Through this process I’ve come to accept God’s true love for me, and from his mercy I’ve been able to forgive myself for things I’ve done in my past. For so long I’ve always thought that God’s love was for me, but now I’ve started to realize that has shown His love on me so that I can share it with others and broadcast God’s glory from the posture of love that God has shown me. I hope that this letter serves as a testament that I really am sorry for any harm I caused you.

Sincerely,<some guy you knew from childhood>
    This why I have to stop the protestant ascendency. perhaps even atheism and secularism are less of an imsult to God and reason and thinking.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Uh oh
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

People are making me so angry right now.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I wouldn't respond to a letter like that at all. Jonny hit the nail on the head: it looks like a form letter he mailed to many people. It doesn't say "Please forgive me for the harm I caused you," it says "I hope that this letter serves as a testament that I really am sorry for any harm I caused you." It's about making himself feel better, not apologizing to you specifically.

That's not to say that it seems particularly insincere in any way, just that it was written solely for his peace of mind, not yours. A response is inconsequential.
    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    I wouldn't respond. It's a form letter he sent out to make himself feel better. There wasn't one personalized memory of wrong-doing mentioned. He also didn't ask for a response. Apparently, forgiveness is assumed.

I'd be wondering how he got my email.
    I didn't respond to him for him. I responded for me. Regardless of his intentions, it's not every day you are granted the opportunity to take the moral high ground. The fact that he even took me into consideration in order to send the message suggests that it wasn't entirely a situation in which he ignored who he had hurt. (this was sent via facebook and he's not even my "friend")

I also think that if he demanded a response, it would indicate a level of selfishness on his part. Who am I to rectify the shame he feels? And, if I were to attempt to, then would I get mired in whatever Kool-Aid he's drinking? @Misty mentioned a brand of ecstasy these people experience. I think it applies to behaviors in which they mindlessly include complete strangers in their religious practices without realizing how many boundaries they cross. At least he's not sending me an invitation to some sort of gay-bashing pot luck.

I didn't respond to him for him. I responded for me. Regardless of his intentions, it's not every day you are granted the opportunity to take the moral high ground. The fact that he even took me into consideration in order to send the message suggests that it wasn't entirely a situation in which he ignored who he had hurt. (this was sent via facebook and he's not even my "friend")

I also think that if he demanded a response, it would indicate a level of selfishness on his part. Who am I to rectify the shame he feels? And, if I were to attempt to, then would I get mired in whatever Kool-Aid he's drinking? Misty mentioned a brand of ecstasy these people experience. I think it applies to behaviors in which they mindlessly include complete strangers in their religious practices without realizing how many boundaries they cross. At least he's not sending me an invitation to some sort of gay-bashing pot luck.
    If it's gratifying for you to respond and take the moral high ground I certainly wouldn't stop you but like I said I wouldn't have bothered. There was little in the letter to suggest he'd taken what you think about what he did into consideration. It wasn't about apologizing to you for everything he'd done to you, it was about apologizing for making himself look like a bad Christian. It's not about making amends with you, it's about making amends with his god. The tone of the letter made everything he wrote seem self-centered. As a result my gut feeling is any response on your part won't really 'reach' him, so then I don't see much point in writing a response at all.

You're right that if he had demanded a response that would have also been self-centered; it really isn't your problem, and it's not up to you to help him make him feel better about himself. He still could have written something more personal, more about what he'd done and how he had wronged you, without going as far as to elicit a response from you for validation. That would have seemed at least a little more authentic.

I empathize a little with him. It's tough to apologize to someone in a way that seems authentic and genuine, and that doesn't seem as though you're apologizing solely for your own benefit. Still, I feel that he could have done a better job if he really meant it.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if it really is all about Jeebus if he invites you to a gay-bashing potluck.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Do you guys really not see the value in this person not being a bully and a Pharisee anymore, regardless of motive? I mean those of you who are not ginkgo so do not have personal feelings, but are just judging him?

And @Ginkgo...did you or did you not mention something about youth group? This indicates to me that he knew you as a church person so it would not be weird at all for him to write you such a religious letter, correct me if I am wrong.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    And @Ginkgo...did you or did you not mention something about youth group? This indicates to me that he knew you as a church person so it would not be weird at all for him to write you such a religious letter, correct me if I am wrong.
    In a sense, it's not weird since he was a church person. In another sense, it is weird because it's out of character for him.

@93JC *nods*

93JC *nods*

A window to the soul

So I got this message in the mail from a guy I knew long ago. I thought it would be interesting to hear how people of various belief systems would address this person if they were in my shoes.

Tell me what you think.

<insert your name>,

<insert your name> I want to apologize for being such a poor representative of Jesus Christ growing up. I ask your forgiveness in all the ways that I belittled you whether it was verbal or physical or even if I was something I didn’t do for you that I should’ve. You see growing up it might have looked like I was a Christ follower on the outside. Sure I was active in Church and I was supposed to be living as an example of a Christ-follower, but I didn’t really believe.
    It wasn’t until a few years ago that I faced some direct challenges in my life that forced me to stop and reconsider who Jesus Christ really is, and if I really was living for Him, and if I wanted to live for Him. See I knew I wasn’t living as though I really believed.
    Through this process I’ve come to accept God’s true love for me, and from his mercy I’ve been able to forgive myself for things I’ve done in my past. For so long I’ve always thought that God’s love was for me, but now I’ve started to realize that has shown His love on me so that I can share it with others and broadcast God’s glory from the posture of love that God has shown me. I hope that this letter serves as a testament that I really am sorry for any harm I caused you.

Sincerely,<some guy you knew from childhood>
    Hmm, maybe I would say "thank you" and "how are you?"