Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kquirk View Post
    OK, this person is obviously not the sharpest. "My husband runs daily and gets sick twice as often as I do, therefore exercise is not as good for you as everyone says it is."

But, what exactly is she saying? It's not that she sees herself as fat, right? It's that "inside" she's larger, and her body "outside" won't change to meet that? Is that real?
    Her husband may overexercise. If he runs every day, he has no recovery period. You can pretty much kill yourself with running. I wonder if her husband and she both have some severe body image issues.

She is not quite right about exercise not being great, but maybe she expresses herself poorly, I am not defending her, I just keep repeating the mantra that you guys are critiquing the blog of a person with body dysmorphia. Who knows what she will say to rationalize her perception.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    She has body dysmorphia. It's an illness, but not a psychosis.
    She's also retarded.

Sites like this are why people hate Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by PB
    I hadn't heard the term ... 'transfat' either ... anyways, much to think about.
    Seriously?
    You're welcome.
    When she says she's "transfat at heart", I thought she meant she had coronary artery disease.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini
    you guys are critiquing the blog of a person with body dysmorphia
    Yeah. It's not really right to look at it like she's got a normal mindset. People with BDD are acutely aware of their negative body image 24/7.

Her site is miserable, but just think, that must be what it feels like to be in her head all the time. I think she would be happier if she eased off on calling people stupid and turned to other hobbies, but I do feel bad for her.

---

Anyway, since we're on the topic...

I was teased for being muscular as a kid, stopped eating and got underweight, started starve/binge cycles, got chubby/fat, and finally have a mostly-normal relationship with food again and would call myself curvy/thick. So I've been all over the weight spectrum. Here's what I think:

"Thin privilege" does exist...

However, the world is full of "privileges" that come from many levels, from individual preference to systemic discrimination. And yeah, definitely sometimes skinny chicks get treated better, and it can get frustrating to not be that golden girl that everyone flocks around because she's got a tiny waist and nice ass.

But, IME, life gets a lot better when you try to minimize worrying about your body, surround yourself with people who love you regardless, try to be healthy regardless of your external appearance, and become an advocate for equal treatment of everyone in all situations.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Marcie eerily reminds me of Salomé.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    She's also retarded.
    Accurate observations both

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

She could always buy a fat suit.
    Problem solved.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    "Thin privilege" does exist...

However, the world is full of "privileges" that come from many levels, from individual preference to systemic discrimination. And yeah, definitely sometimes skinny chicks get treated better, and it can get frustrating to not be that golden girl that everyone flocks around because she's got a tiny waist and nice ass.
    All true.

And so much of the obsession over the concept of privilege reveals its true internal drive as coming from one source: ressentiment.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    WHERE'S MY DINNER?!?
    Dude. Show some sensitivity. There are pretend fat people having break downs out there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Accurate observations both
    +1
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    When she says she's "transfat at heart", I thought she meant she had coronary artery disease.
    Yes, this term 'transfat' ... I wasn't really getting at what she was saying under the label at first. She's slim, but sees herself as heavy - not a little, but a lot.

The biggest 'beef' I have with her posts and the ones at the 'thin privilege' site are that legitimate questions are usually answered with, "If you don't agree, you can f* off, hater!". But they do raise interesting points when they link to legitimate medical studies that show far less of a link to weight, BMI and longevity than has become the accepted 'norm' for optimal health. And, there's some evidence of suppression or abandonment of other studies (prior to publishing) when results do not provide definitive links between lower weight playing nicely with optimal health.

I think the approach does raise ire, but it does raise awareness too in that provocation. Takes some time sifting through the screed to find value.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Yes, this term 'transfat' ... I wasn't really getting at what she was saying under the label at first. She's slim, but sees herself as heavy - not a little, but a lot.
    There's already a term for that: anorexia nervosa.

The biggest 'beef' I have with her posts and the ones at the 'thin privilege' site are that legitimate questions are usually answered with, "If you don't agree, you can f* off, hater!". But they do raise interesting points when they link to legitimate medical studies that show far less of a link to weight, BMI and longevity than has become the accepted 'norm' for optimal health. And, there's some evidence of suppression or abandonment of other studies (prior to publishing) when results do not provide definitive links between lower weight playing nicely with optimal health.

I think the approach does raise ire, but it does raise awareness too in that provocation. Takes some time sifting through the screed to find value.
    I think using silly expressions like "transfat " (in an attempt to equate dieting with transitioning gender) is more likely to mean any important message (e.g. about body-image pressures) gets lost or diluted. I certainly could never take anything seriously written by someone who claims:
    "I'm doubly oppressed because I'm a fat woman in a thin woman's body!"
    I mean, that's a world of right there.