MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Another day of work.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Scary mansions, glowing pumpkins, sexy vampire girls... Why not? Reality doesn't have to be boring.

4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I love fall. Grey days, longer nights, cool winds, fiery leaves, pumpkin and cinnamon scents in the air, the dry sweetness of firesmoke, heavy sweaters, heated blankets, hot chocolate and spiced coffee and mulled apple cider...

I like the fun and mischief of Halloween night. It's always been my grandma's favorite holiday and the family always celebrated in the usual costumes-and-candy way. And carving pumpkins! I'm excited because my boyfriend likes to celebrate it, too. Some of my peers aren't so into it anymore now that we're "young adults" but I have no intentions of forgoing it.

Anyway, at midnight for the last 5 or so years, I've lit a candle and said a prayer for the dead and the hibernating Earth around me. My family's background is Catholic so the day after Halloween for me has always been All Saints' Day, and then the next All Souls' Day, so I consider those days to remember those who have passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Are you saying that Americans are phony, and fake?
    Americans, like the rest of us, make the distinction between good and bad, but the emphasis is different.

So Americans make the distinction between sincere and phoney, where sincere is good and phoney is bad.

Whereas we don't make that distinction, rather we make the same distinction between amusing and boring, where amusing is good and boring is bad. And we have a saying that the Queen is not amused.

So while Americans are being good by being sincere, they appear to us as painfully boring.

And while Australians are being good by being amusing, we appear to Americans as pathetically insincere.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Forget American-style Halloween, and look into Samhain. That is where the deeper meaning can be found. Astronomically, it is the cross-quarter between the Fall equinox and the Winter solstice.
    I am afraid the cross-quarter between the Autumn equinox and the the Winter solstice fall in a different part of the year here.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Halloween is an Americanism that is being adopted here.

But it seems so fake and phoney and so shallow, that we all feel like Americans for a while.
    Do you find Halloween amusing?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I associate Halloween with the genesis of the chosen one and the dawn of the child of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Halloween is an Americanism that is being adopted here.

But it seems so fake and phoney and so shallow, that we all feel like Americans for a while.
    Hollow maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I love halloween, it is my favourite holiday. I like its origin, the decorations, the vibe/nature of it is magical, and your world becomes a theme park filled with creatures and possibilities--That world is temporarily a little more exciting and adventurous.
    ^ This is similar to my perspective.

I like fall in general. The world comes alive with sights, smells and tastes which seem unique to fall--foliage, smell of fallen leaves, crisp cool air, apples, cider, pumpkins, bonfires...

Up until high school I used to really get into the costume aspect of it. One year in junior high, I maybe went a little too far. I always thought werewolves were the most scary monsters. I couldn't beat them, so I decided to join them! I bought a fake werewolf nose and ears and brown makeup and some fairly realistic fangs. Then, I found an old wig, cut it into pieces, and carefully glued them onto my face and the backs of my hands with ordinary white glue. I was wearing a jacket with a hood so that only my face and hands were exposed. Some of my friends gave me looks like they secretly wondered if maybe I was a real werewolf, but they were afraid to ask. On trick-or-treat night, I buried myself in a pile of leaves and jumped out growling just as people walked by. I knew that I had reached the pinnacle of my Halloween acting and costume career when I was able to scare even most high school age kids.