User Tag List

123 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default If you could forget everything you knew of typology....

...would you do so?

Cliche question but that's what Si is for, asking questions everyone else has already asked and two steps behind.

Personally I would, with the only large downside being that I would not have known some of the people I've met here who I have found enjoyable and who have taught me some interesting perspectives and insights.

However given my MBTI cognitive bent, I generally find the theory unhelpful for my own purposes, that of understanding myself better. Although perhaps that is a bad motive for engaging in typology theories. As for understanding others, I truly doubt it can be achieved, we can only slide ever so slightly closer to the truth trammeled at the heart of that individual, but we will never be them and they never us.

And typology only confounds this in my mind, a nonsense of information with grounds in nothing but experiential observation, which has validity, but not much.

It has taught me new angles of hate and lying and the admiration of a mirror; which in it's insubstantial nature beckons, but without promise of answer....only blind hope and wishful thinking.

I want to believe, but that requires faith and I have none, instead I want proof but proof denies faith and so the theory is useless.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

No, I would remember all of it - it really brings light to the amazing processes driving our minds!

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    No, I would remember all of it - it really brings light to the amazing processes driving our minds!
    In what way? It claims definition, but who knows what it is actually defining? And if that innate cognition waiting to be defined even exists?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

I already did.

Granted my interest in typology was sort of tangential at best in the first place, but I have forgotten pretty much everything I ever knew about it.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    In what way? It claims definition, but who knows what it is actually defining? And if that innate cognition waiting to be defined even exists?
    It's been observed empirically to be existent within us, at least on some level; but that doesn't mean there aren't many pieces from other psychologies that we could integrate into our overall understanding.

Yes. This knowledge is like a prison.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    It's been observed empirically to be existent within us, at least on some level; but that doesn't mean there aren't many pieces from other psychologies that we could integrate into our overall understanding.
    I would like to see this empiricism.

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTp

No chance. It's great information for modeling the world.

It's made me more tolerant (or at least accepting). I used to think the people were just inherently stupid. Now I realize that many of them just can't think rationally because their brains just aren't wired for it.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I would like to see this empiricism.
    There was actually a good discussion on those empirical results below:
    http://intjforum.com/showthread.php?t=81946

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    No chance. It's great information for modeling the world.

It's made me more tolerant (or at least accepting). I used to think the people were just inherently stupid. Now I realize that many of them just can't think rationally because their brains just aren't wired for it.
    That just sounds like a semantic change in terminology to avoid actually calling someone an idiot.

"It's ok, I understand that your brain just isn't wired to think rationally"

- A.A. Milne.