User Tag List

First 1234 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I think typology is largely an exercise in narcissism. Everyone wants to know their type, as if that provides some motive force in self discovery, but it does not. It doesn't help you understand others either. It provides a structure of misleading generalizations that are circular and without consistancy, based in other notions which are also vague and without real meaning, and are arbitrarily chosen. Astrology is more interesting, but similarly vauge and disconnected from reality. But at least it doesn't pretend that it's conclussions are scientific or valid. ego syntonic omphaloskepsis rules the roost in typology (see any post by a self declared INTJ).

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I think typology is largely an exercise in narcissism. Everyone wants to know their type, as if that provides some motive force in self discovery, but it does not. It doesn't help you understand others either. It provides a structure of misleading generalizations that are circular and without consistancy, based in other notions which are also vague and without real meaning, and are arbitrarily chosen. Astrology is more interesting, but similarly vauge and disconnected from reality. But at least it doesn't pretend that it's conclussions are scientific or valid. ego syntonic omphaloskepsis rules the roost in typology (see any post by a self declared INTJ).
    I don't know what your long words mean, but I agree with you.

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Stansmith

No.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Certainly not, but I guess I can appreciate how it doesn't help some people. It's the right type of information for someone like me to ponder, but I've seen others (N-types even, if that matters) use it for narcissistic purposes.

IMO, the various books written about it have more utility than the online communities when it comes to understanding and applying it.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    That just sounds like a semantic change in terminology to avoid actually calling someone an idiot.

"It's ok, I understand that your brain just isn't wired to think rationally"
    Well close, but not quite. I've actually learned to respect the ruthless cunning of the non-NT types. For example, in the corporate workplace I find myself in, most of my bosses while not usually very competent at what they do (i.e. based on their job description) are quite skilled at playing office politics. Which turns out to be a valuable skill now that I have realized most workplaces are not a meritocracy. I'm still annoyed the world works this way, but I have more respect for people who play the game successfully now.

OTOH, people who blindly think way others do I still have a low opinion of, but I just sigh and accept it is the way of the world given MBTI type distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    OTOH, people who blindly think way others do I still have a low opinion of, but I just sigh and accept it is the way of the world given MBTI type distribution.
    I suppose if one cannot find something to ground themselves in some form of reality, they will happily live in anothers.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

WALMART

I think a lot of people are meme eating creatures.

I had a lot typed out, but this is all I'm comfortable stating.

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    I think a lot of people are meme eating creatures.

I had a lot typed out, but this is all I'm comfortable stating.
    I agree though, I am certainly one of them, a living echo, hollow to the core.

- A.A. Milne.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I agree though, I am certainly one of them, a living echo, hollow to the core.
    *pats irrational introversion*

It's hard to break free of preconceived notions, particularly when they're played off with such truthiness. I've bee fighting it most of my days with MBTI and Jung.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Never...I am a fucking weirdo.

I had absolutely no grounding when I first got into typology.

I don't even think I even knew what inner security and grounding meant.

I have inf Fi, and I'm an E6

I really use it for purposes of self discovery.

That being said, I may fall into the trap of stereotyping someone once in a while. But I always come out of situations like that, better than before.

With more understanding of "why doesn't this person just do it my way"

I know why they don't now of course. (Not to give them excuses for acting in a certain behavior)

...But I'm a lot less angry at them. Cause I can really see that they are actually doing their best. Or it's just how they tic, and why would I want to change them.

I used to really believe that people were just complete idiots and I thought "well they have a brain just like me...must mean they're just not trying, cause I can run circles around them"

And it's not as apparant to some people (like me) that other peoples' brains don't work like mine.

So all in all, it's saved me at the very least, from needing anger management.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12