User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Why all the sudden Marilyn Monroe hate?

Men and women have loved this icon for ages now, or whatever, and some haters are gonna hate.

But. Lately I've noticed a trend, particularly on Facebook, where guys (in particular) are getting irritated and posting posts saying basically "She's a whore, not a philosopher! Stop listening to her!"

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this trend.. but, even outside of the puzzling inquiry of how her sexuality equates to her intelligence in any level, why would this girl being quoted in particular be infuriating for others? Is it just a 'I'm sick of seeing her everywhere' thing, or is there something a bit deeper there?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Stansmith

It's boring, but it doesn't make me angry. I feel the same way when guy's quote Drake lyrics and other phallic stock phrases.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

She was a drug addict, pill-popping, serial adulterer, a home wrecker, a bad actress, famous for being a sloot, had sex with a president and his brother, etc.

inb4 "If you can't handle me at my worst, you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I think social media has probably blasted her quotes into people's faces at a higher volume than ever before. "Facebook philosophy" in general can be pretty tiresome, and I've seen some backlash against that whole idea as well. She's kinda the poster child for it. It doesn't help that she's a pretty face and not known first for her philosophical contributions to humanity. Too much of a thing that just isn't holding up to it I suppose.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Enneagram

I'm just tired of her, but I don't especially hate her. I can't help but roll my eyes when people use her as an icon of "real" beauty and being okay with who you are, considering she was brutally unhappy with her weight, dyed her hair blonde, and got a nose job. She also wasn't as big as people say, since clothing sizes have changed since her time. A lot of people will post a picture of her, and say something stupid like: "a damn sight better than the skinny whores we worship today!" I think she represented an unfair standard beauty in her time as well, and made lots of women feel inadequate, so I don't see how it's fair to criticize the Monroe's of today, just because they happen to be skinnier.

She also has become some sort of patron saint/sage figure for women on Facebook. It confuses me. I guess I should be happy that women are co-opting the symbols of their oppression and turning them into symbols of empowerment, I just have a hard time with the historical inaccuracy of it.

I certainly don't campaign against her or anything, but since you're asking me, I thought I'd add my two cents. I haven't noticed much of a general backlash, but I can see why there would be one.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

This is weird, Ive not noticed it.

FigerPuppet

Because a lot of the quotes cannot be traced back to her. It's BS. Same goes for many other often-shared characters.

"Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - Snoop Lion, said to JFK before toking up.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Because a lot of the quotes cannot be traced back to her. It's BS. Same goes for many other often-shared characters.

"Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - Snoop Lion, said to JFK before toking up.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

Yeah, the quote thing is annoying. I find it funny how it's used by most to justify some kind of egotistical, self righteous, insert adjective that is something generally considered negative here kind of way.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs