First 2345 Last

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

My Facebook friends are just acting boring and posting pictures of their dinners. Didn't notice the hate.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

MBTI
    intp

Haven't noticed any outpouring of hate. The Marilyn Monroe love was no less puzzling. Scratch that. It wasn't so much puzzling as nauseating, and not just for reasons @Forever_Jung and @Saudade mentioned.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I'm just tired of her, but I don't especially hate her. I can't help but roll my eyes when people use her as an icon of "real" beauty and being okay with who you are, considering she was brutally unhappy with her weight, dyed her hair blonde, and got a nose job. She also wasn't as big as people say, since clothing sizes have changed since her time. A lot of people will post a picture of her, and say something stupid like: "a damn sight better than the skinny whores we worship today!" I think she represented an unfair standard beauty in her time as well, and made lots of women feel inadequate, so I don't see how it's fair to criticize the Monroe's of today, just because they happen to be skinnier.

She also has become some sort of patron saint/sage figure for women on Facebook. It confuses me. I guess I should be happy that women are co-opting the symbols of their oppression and turning them into symbols of empowerment, I just have a hard time with the historical inaccuracy of it.

I certainly don't campaign against her or anything, but since you're asking me, I thought I'd add my two cents. I haven't noticed much of a general backlash, but I can see why there would be one.
    Particularly, the picture circulating around "Ladies, stop quoting me, I was a whore, not a philosopher!!" with her picture on it, and a few debates that the picture prompted, made me post.

I don't understand how oppression frequently translates into empowerment but I don't really question it either. To me, that's comparable to black people saying the N-word despite its context and connotation back then--and its still quite frequently racial indications today.

She was very open sexually.. And honestly, I think people are quick to label the SINGLE person (i.e. the person with nothing to lose and no real reason to care about the third party member) as the home wrecker, when in reality it shouldn't matter what the 3rd wheel does.. if the home is fortified, no wrecking will occur. So, even given her promiscuous nature, especially during a time where that sort of behavior was so frowned on, I can understand the sexual empowerment women would receive from her. She was open, and out there, and lived fast, and wasn't really THAT lady like when you get down to the details of it, and yet she was still quite feminine and attracted people of both sexes.

Charisma is a powerful thing, and I don't really see how she's anymore or less annoying than.. literally any other famous person.

I don't understand the mechanism in people that if they see too many people like something, they have to go hipster about it and immediately disregard/dislike it. "Too many people are quoting Monroe! Its annoying!" I can almost understand a song on the radio or something, but if the person's always been famous, then I don't see why her being famous is anything new/more annoying than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i'm so confused. why is everyone talking about her right now? that's weird right?
    I thought so anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    What? My friends are talking about the US budget shutdown and homecoming on Facebook. What Marilyn Monroe hate?
    Maybe it's just on my wall and I'm the crazy one? I've seen the picture circulated about 20 times in the past three months, and two pretty serious debates broke out as a result on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I think people just get sick of empty little sayings that people read on chocolate wrappers or facebook slides and then adopt as their personal mottos.
    But is it really so empty? Even if the girl said it with no real intentions of her own.. If someone discovers it and identifies with it, why does where it came from that make it empty?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i've never really thought much about her honestly but i did just catch a documentary on her on hbo or something not too long ago and thought it was very interesting. just how separate she felt from her image....and the hard upbringing and what she did with it...how it manifested itself etc...all super interesting imo...it made me want to read more about her.

idk...i just feel no need to judge someone else's experience like that...she seemed really sad and isolated feeling. people are just people man...no one's perfect and everyone's just trying to soothe their own neurosis.

Stansmith

Sometimes it's best to just detach and not concern oneself with others' petty tastes and opinions. It's all just boring and fruitless.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Particularly, the picture circulating around "Ladies, stop quoting me, I was a whore, not a philosopher!!" with her picture on it, and a few debates that the picture prompted, made me post.

I don't understand how oppression frequently translates into empowerment but I don't really question it either. To me, that's comparable to black people saying the N-word despite its context and connotation back then--and its still quite frequently racial indications today.

She was very open sexually.. And honestly, I think people are quick to label the SINGLE person (i.e. the person with nothing to lose and no real reason to care about the third party member) as the home wrecker, when in reality it shouldn't matter what the 3rd wheel does.. if the home is fortified, no wrecking will occur. So, even given her promiscuous nature, especially during a time where that sort of behavior was so frowned on, I can understand the sexual empowerment women would receive from her. She was open, and out there, and lived fast, and wasn't really THAT lady like when you get down to the details of it, and yet she was still quite feminine and attracted people of both sexes.

Charisma is a powerful thing, and I don't really see how she's anymore or less annoying than.. literally any other famous person.

I don't understand the mechanism in people that if they see too many people like something, they have to go hipster about it and immediately disregard/dislike it. "Too many people are quoting Monroe! Its annoying!" I can almost understand a song on the radio or something, but if the person's always been famous, then I don't see why her being famous is anything new/more annoying than before.

I thought so anyways.

Maybe it's just on my wall and I'm the crazy one? I've seen the picture circulated about 20 times in the past three months, and two pretty serious debates broke out as a result on facebook.

But is it really so empty? Even if the girl said it with no real intentions of her own.. If someone discovers it and identifies with it, why does where it came from that make it empty?
    I don't like "quote culture" in general. IME most people don't know any of the context or any background about the person/thing they are parroting... And I also just feel like your life motto should be things you say instead of everyone endlessly repeating a sentence they may or may not understand fully.

In the case of maralyin Monroe her worst wasn't just the occasional grumps. not that she shouldn't have supportive friends and family but "you need to handle me when Im having a bad day"
    Is different from "you have to be able to handle my substance abuse". Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like most people read it as the former rather than the latter.

Enneagram

Let me frame my annoyance in a way that might be more comprehensible: Marilyn Monroe Facebook posts are the Che Guevara t-shirts of the digital age.

I don't understand how oppression frequently translates into empowerment but I don't really question it either. To me, that's comparable to black people saying the N-word despite its context and connotation back then--and its still quite frequently racial indications today
    You may be right, and that's certainly a clever parallel, but I don't give the cult of Marilyn that much credit. The attitude towards Monroe doesn't seem to be: we're owning our oppression, by rebranding Monroe, because she was sexually open and independent. It's more like this misplaced nostalgia for a time when "real women" and "real beauty" were appreciated (and I put these terms in quotations, because I think this whole "real" movement is just a more sophisticated form of bullshit).

I definitely don't like the "whore" backlash, she's receiving, but I also don't think it's her open sexuality that makes her loved/hated.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I'm waiting for Audrey Hepburn backlash now. Although I personally like her image, she too gets over-quoted, over-idealized and over-copied.
    That reminds me of a great Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/col...pirit-i,33729/

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i've never really thought much about her honestly but i did just catch a documentary on her on hbo or something not too long ago and thought it was very interesting. just how separate she felt from her image....and the hard upbringing and what she did with it...how it manifested itself etc...all super interesting imo...it made me want to read more about her.

idk...i just feel no need to judge someone else's experience like that...she seemed really sad and isolated feeling. people are just people man...no one's perfect and everyone's just trying to soothe their own neurosis.
    I hope you don't think my annoyance is with Monroe personally. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's not my problem with her, at least. I agree that she is a tragic figure who struggled with society's expectations and her own personal demons. I don't blame her for being insecure or whatever else her flaws were. I am annoyed with the people who romanticize her, and totally gloss over how and why she got chewed up by society. Over-idealization of her beauty was one of the biggest problems she struggled with. It's dehumanizing to become a symbol.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I couldn’t say why people are so vitriolic and mean-spirited about her. It really doesn’t make sense. She was not a whore. She was a troubled person who had suffered abuse in early life. I don’t think she was dumb at all, certainly not a vacuous vamp as she is often assumed to be. That’s Hollywood BS designed to get people to go movies.
    And one of my favorite people has a picture or MM, along with one of MLK and Isabel Allende, on her office wall. This person is a serious professional and not frivolous at all. She sees something different than most it seems.

MBTI
    yupp

I know nothing but I don't get how someone can hate or have affection for someone they've never exchanged a glance.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Men and women have loved this icon for ages now, or whatever, and some haters are gonna hate.

But. Lately I've noticed a trend, particularly on Facebook, where guys (in particular) are getting irritated and posting posts saying basically "She's a whore, not a philosopher! Stop listening to her!"

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this trend.. but, even outside of the puzzling inquiry of how her sexuality equates to her intelligence in any level, why would this girl being quoted in particular be infuriating for others? Is it just a 'I'm sick of seeing her everywhere' thing, or is there something a bit deeper there?
    That sounds like some unnecessary shit right there, I was not aware of any hating what so ever, although I think this happens periodically with any personality who is being quoted and used as a meme online.

By and large its always uncreative moron gets envious and cant comprehend why they are not being quoted and meme worthy so kicks off the hate train and others, a lot like the original asshole, follow suit.

Personally I like the Monroe memes, I especially like the "real beauty" ones which show pics of her and contrast them with the starved and emaciated models of today, whatever else that era may have gotten right its taste in women was not far off the mark.