User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Boo hoo if she was abused as a kid.
    This attitude is now morally unacceptable in Ireland and Australia.

And this leaves the question of why this immoral, indecent attitude is acceptabe in your country?

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This attitude is now morally unacceptable in Ireland and Australia.

And this leaves the question of why this immoral, indecent attitude is acceptabe in your country?
    I live in Canada. : )

'Murica.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    I live in Canada. : )

'Murica.
    Well then, why not do the decent thing and write to your Prime Minister, quoting Ireland and Australia as precedents, and ask for a Judicial Enquiry into Institutional Child Abuse in Canada?

I often don't find any inspiration from celebrities, and Monroe is no exception. Nonetheless, she always fascinated me as one of the big "fame crashes" in that she rose high and crashed hard relatively early in life. Elvis and Michael Jackson had similar descents. Some of Monroe's movies are actually pretty good and her choices of husbands were also interesting, though they may have been attempts to boost her own credibility. Arthur Miller said she was very self-destructive. Psychotherapy, according to some, may have messed her up more. From what I know she seemed like another very messed up person lucky enough (or cursed) to be born with a beautiful body who became enmeshed in the mess of Hollywood. Mess + mess = big mess. Though she has become sort of a 60s generational cliche, I can think of many more people who deserve hate spewed on them far more than her. She was a movie star so she really couldn't do too much damage. And she was likely heavily controlled by the people who owned her.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I think people just get sick of empty little sayings that people read on chocolate wrappers or facebook slides and then adopt as their personal mottos.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I'm just tired of her, but I don't especially hate her. I can't help but roll my eyes when people use her as an icon of "real" beauty and being okay with who you are, considering she was brutally unhappy with her weight, dyed her hair blonde, and got a nose job. She also wasn't as big as people say, since clothing sizes have changed since her time. A lot of people will post a picture of her, and say something stupid like: "a damn sight better than the skinny whores we worship today!" I think she represented an unfair standard beauty in her time as well, and made lots of women feel inadequate, so I don't see how it's fair to criticize the Monroe's of today, just because they happen to be skinnier.

She also has become some sort of patron saint/sage figure for women on Facebook. It confuses me. I guess I should be happy that women are co-opting the symbols of their oppression and turning them into symbols of empowerment, I just have a hard time with the historical inaccuracy of it.

I certainly don't campaign against her or anything, but since you're asking me, I thought I'd add my two cents. I haven't noticed much of a general backlash, but I can see why there would be one.

This is what I find annoying about her (or her fans really). I haven't noticed any concentrated backlash towards her, but if there is any, then yeah, it's cuz people are sick of her and her obnoxious fans.
    I've always found her overrated, but don't hate her. It's also boring how many famous women try to copy her image. It's overdone and played out.

I'm waiting for Audrey Hepburn backlash now. Although I personally like her image, she too gets over-quoted, over-idealized and over-copied.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Love and hate are two sides of the same coin.

And as we live in the Attention Economy the coin is attention.

Some are attention rich, like celebrities, and some are attention poor, like the rest of us.

The solution is to stop paying attention to celebrities and start paying attention to us.

But this is not going to happen because we love/hate celebrities but are indifferent to one another.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Yep, what @Forever_Jung said. Quoting her has becoming super frequent and it's often done by obnoxious people defending obnoxious behavior.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But. Lately I've noticed a trend, particularly on Facebook, where guys (in particular) are getting irritated and posting posts saying basically "She's a whore, not a philosopher! Stop listening to her!"

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this trend.. but, even outside of the puzzling inquiry of how her sexuality equates to her intelligence in any level, why would this girl being quoted in particular be infuriating for others? Is it just a 'I'm sick of seeing her everywhere' thing, or is there something a bit deeper there?
    The fact that they feel the need to disparage her as a whore, should reveal the "something deeper" at work here, which has found for itself the perfect outlet on the interwebz.
    After all, no one criticises JFK for being a whore. Though he was. Obviously.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Yep, what @Forever_Jung said. Quoting her has becoming super frequent and it's often done by obnoxious people defending obnoxious behavior.
    "If she ever says 'If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best,' she doesn't have a best."
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth