User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

An equally good question is could you been a good follower were you are not in the role, can not be in the role and will not by chance, competence or caprice be in the role of leader?

What are the qualities of a good follower? Is it simply to do as the leader says? Defer and be damned?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    An equally good question is could you been a good follower were you are not in the role, can not be in the role and will not by chance, competence or caprice be in the role of leader?
    Hmm, that's a good question. I wasn't really think about "followers" when I described my ideal for a leader; I was thinking more like who's good at being charismatic and influencing people or championing causes.

What are the qualities of a good follower? Is it simply to do as the leader says? Defer and be damned?
    Maybe a leader can shine forth a horizon for those in his command and, with that structure in view, allow people to operate freely within that platform.

@Lark, a good follower probably has a lot of the same qualities as a good leader. Takes initiative, pitches in (esp on tasks nobody wants to do), acknowledges their areas of experitise (and lack of expertise), encourages and supports others, able to go along with what is best for the group over their own personal preferences, tactfully/kindly brings up uncomfortable truths, etc.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I was one. Not so long ago, in my Project Manager days, I managed a project that impacted 8,000 people and had a team of about 20-30. I became used to my phone ringing and having my cochleas fill up with complaints and general dispepsia. After presenting on the project to about 200 people in a large auditorium, they all booed me in unison. There's no experience like that one. In the end the project went off without a hitch and I won people over by basically listening to them and not lashing back at criticisms. My boss at the time kept reminding me that leadership was not about getting people to like you. True words. My next job had nothing to do with Project Management and I think I'm okay with that.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    After presenting on the project to about 200 people in a large auditorium, they all booed me in unison. There's no experience like that one.
    That sounds terrible. What kind of project was that?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    That sounds terrible. What kind of project was that?
    The project rolled out limitations for people's e-mail - they could no longer keep everything forever... there were mailboxes sized 10 gigs and up and the organization wanted to do something about it. For some reason people just exploded at the idea and I became the face of the evil. But I have to admit the booing experience was focusing and somehow energizing. I no longer have any fear of speaking in front of people (at least in a professional environment) because I have a feeling I experienced the worst.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

Hate

I was born to rule, born to conquer the enemies that oppose my army.

I will cut the hearts out of my enemies and eat them. No mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Don't let the peanut gallery bring you down.
    Those who lack the wherewithal to commit and make themselves accountable to endeavors of purpose find solace in criticizing those who do.
    It's easy to be a critic, anyone can do that, any one can talk shit.
    It's a hell of a lot harder to build, create, transform, and accomplish things than it is to criticize those who do.
    So, it's up to the leader to decide how to address such people, if at all.
    The reality is, the world is changing and moving forward with each passing moment.
    It is each person's duty to decide what place they wish to have in the future, and talk is cheap.

-Halla74
    This is true, though some leaders earn every word of their criticisms. Sometimes they are so bad and the criticizers (and others) are so clear on what needs to be done that the leader (usually a worthless tyrant with no plan on giving up power) should just step aside and let more capable people do the work. But they usually won't do that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm a task-oriented leader, meaning that I can take the lead in organizing a specific task, or trying to direct people towards a goal by setting priorities etc.

But I'm no leader in a stable environment, nor I really want to be.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by CapLawyer View Post
    This is true, though some leaders earn every word of their criticisms. Sometimes they are so bad and the criticizers (and others) are so clear on what needs to be done that the leader (usually a worthless tyrant with no plan on giving up power) should just step aside and let more capable people do the work. But they usually won't do that.
    Hi there.
    I understand the delineation you described above.
    In this case I think it makes sense to think in terms of:

"Do you have what it takes to be a GOOD leader?"

...and not in terms of...

"Do you have what it takes to be a TYRANT?"

A tyrant is not a leader; a tyrant is a thief and a thug who is abusing a position of leadership

Getting tripped up on details shouldn't get in the way of common sense when it comes to questions like this, IMHO.
    I understand your point though.

The crisis of our times historically, LEADERS used to STATESMEN - they rose to an occasion and galvanized the masses to accomplish things of significance for the greater good of all.

In modern times we have few REAL LEADERS, instead we have stand-ins, talking heads, referred to as ELECTED OFFICIALS - who seem to do nothing more than dress well, lie to the masses, promise lots of good things, and then once in office do anything but, while at the same time enriching those who paid their ticket via egregious plundering of public resources.

WHERE are THE STATEMEN?
    WHERE are THE STATESWOMEN?

We need them now more than ever.

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro