User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqcues Le Paul View Post
    Define lead for the purpose of this thread,

Are we talking about being the head of a group or someone just in charge of a situation?

What about just manipulating, directing and moving resources towards a goal?

Wouldn't that be leading in a way?
    Yes, that's more like me.

It depends if leading is a) what I want to do b) it is the best path to achieve the desired result.

Most goals for me are of relative importance (due to a pre-disposition towards existentialism and nihilism) and I envision a point after their completion where the consequences become apparent - as do my opinions of them. At this point I stop and ask "was all this worth my time?" and if it is not I hold back on devoting myself to the task. However the above is when I have time on my hands. If a task needs completing and there isn't time to speculate or contemplate I would move to complete it or contribute towards it. I strive to achieve a good standard and can have a love/hate opinion to becoming a subordinate...especially when I feel victory should be mine due to higher capabilities or better ideas.

If I must become a leader then I will. I would aim to exercise restraint and wisdom over hubris and exchange ideas with my team to broaden and strengthen my understanding instead of presenting a display of power by dismissing their contributions. I am yet to truly encounter a situation which would lead to my highest ideals and dreams being realised so how I would act in that situation remains to be seen. I suspect I would be hyper vigilant in observing required skills and talents in others to see if they are the better to complete the task but if it must be me I would pursue it with a single-minded drive.

Not a good leader, because it drains me before I can finish running the marathon. I'd rather lead than be told what to do, though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Thinking about it a bit more, I actually do really enjoy being in leadership positions. It's fun. I enjoy seeing people grow and develop. I like getting things done and important accomplishments are much harder to achieve alone than with the help of others. I like getting a lot of people's involved in an approach, solution, etc. but being the one to decide. I even like dealing with all the people problems such as when there are conflicts between individuals. The thing that I can get very frustrated with is when people perform poorly and there is no good solution (i.e., can't get them in a better role and they cannot be coached).

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    STP

I Have always been put in positions to lead because of competence. I don't really choose a position of leading. Ever job I have had I have been put in a leadership position, not management though. I am competent at what I do therefore I end up being team lead because I can chart a very good path.
    Im out, its been fun

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I always have been, and always will be.
    Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way.

-Halla74
    I agree with that, the problem is that there's a lot of people who dont want to lead and arent exactly content with following either. In my experience anyway, they've even been given the opportunity to lead and disliked that role enough not to step into it again but man will they criticise and make merry hell with anyone else who does.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1 so
    Socionics
    ESE

I don't enjoy being a leader as I prefer being the support person, or the "behind the scenes" person. That's where my true gifts/talents are best used.
    I can be a leader if I have to be, though. I'm good at picking up the slack and making things happen if the designated leader can't fulfill his or her leadership roles for any given reason(s). I'm fine stepping up to the plate, but that doesn't mean the stress wouldn't get to me after prolonged time.
    The World will never be satisfied with who you truly are.
    Because the World doesn't understand the beauty
    of what you were made to be.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I get put in leadership positions a lot, the last couple of times I believe there were those who wanted me to perform that role more than I wanted to myself and others who where dead set, as there always are, on sabotaging it (I think that's a bigger problem personally that the challenge of leading per se, if you have people who are dead set against you from the outset, especially senior people then you'll have more than a headache in that role and it can prove totally ruinous).

I've seen how people defer to others and there are leaders and followers, some people are very quick to defer to others and that can become a workplace culture which isnt good. Over time I've come to think that a certain degree of ambivalence about authority is typical of most managers, who are ultimately the leaders, and its disguised in talk about autonomy and delegation of responsibility, at its very worst there is divesting of all judgement and decisive roles by senior officers and their assertion that they are only there to audit the paperwork of junior/subordinate officers and draw conclusions about their competence from there. That can be crippling. On the other hand challenging that can absorb more energy that acknowledging it and seeking to work around it.

There's a whole host of characterisations of this in fiction, TV and film, the best example of it that I can think of is perhaps "Radar" in Mash but I'm sure there are others too.

Sometimes I like to lead but I've found that most of the leadership roles that are likely to be open to me are not appealing due to the fact that they involve a lot of close liason with others which would frankly be unwelcome and I wish them all good fortune and an early, early retirement. Of the people who I see seeking leadership positions and promotion there is a significant proportion of them who fit the Peter Principle, ie that people all rise to the level just above their actual level of competence, they often over estimate their own abilities, under estimate or denigrate the abilities of others and are seeking promotion for reasons other than being best fit for whatever it is, ie unmet emotional needs, seeking to prove something to themselves and others, over compensating for an inferiority complex.

There's that joke about politics should be open as a career only to those who do not want it and the same could be said for a lot of leadership positions.

There are stories from the bible about this sort of thing, one of my favourites is that of Gideon.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I can lead, good at it, but dislike doing so. It's a huge energy drain to outline tasks, delegate, and keep things moving toward a goal. It's hard to keep that in focus without it slipping off my radar. I can do that for myself but I really hate doing it for others. It's probably one of the biggest complaints I have with being a parent.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1 so
    Socionics
    ESE

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I can lead, good at it, but dislike doing so. It's a huge energy drain to outline tasks, delegate, and keep things moving toward a goal. It's hard to keep that in focus without it slipping off my radar. I can do that for myself but I really hate doing it for others. It's probably one of the biggest complaints I have with being a parent.
    Very similar experience for me, Redbone. Not only is it draining to have to worry about so much, but it's also very draining for me because people tend to not listen, pay attention or take me very seriously when it comes to being a leader.
    The World will never be satisfied with who you truly are.
    Because the World doesn't understand the beauty
    of what you were made to be.