User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    You heard wrong.
    I *really* hope this is an argument from authority, i.e., you've been in prison. Otherwise, I'm going to have *so much fun* shooting you down with references.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yes. 5 mil would be enough to live with for the rest of my life
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

No, I don't think a general population, maximum security 'pound-me-in-the-ass prison' is worth the risk; what good is 5 mil if I die from violence, contract AIDS, or drink myself to death in a decade trying to forget the experience?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mingularity View Post
    I *really* hope this is an argument from authority, i.e., you've been in prison. Otherwise, I'm going to have *so much fun* shooting you down with references.
    The prevalence of prison gangs would seem to lend support for Juice's assumptions regarding the realities of prison life as it pertains to loners.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The prevalence of prison gangs would seem to lend support for Juice's assumptions regarding the realities of prison life as it pertains to loners.
    Firstly, let me say that my spidey sense regarding lone wolfs in prison stems from a documentary I saw some time ago that suggested there were plenty of lone wolfs in prison and that they tended to be left alone. So I wasn't surprised to be able to easily find the following data:

According to a 1999 survey by the National Gang Crime Research Center, gang membership within adult state correctional facilities increased from 9.4 percent in 1991 to 24.7 percent in 1999 (Knox, 1999). Other studies in correctional settings reported smaller proportions of gang-involved prisoners: 13 percent in prisons and 16 percent in jails (Wells et al., 2002), and 13.2 percent in a 2004 study of jail administrators (Ruddell et al., 2006). Furthermore, surveys from the American Correctional Association reported averages of 11.7 percent security threat group (STG) members in 2003, and 13.8 percent in 2008 (Hill, 2004, 2009). These averages masked a wide variation in the proportion of gang members within different prison systems, as some systems had estimates many times the mean. Extrapolating the 13 percent estimate of the gang-involved population to the entire U.S. prison population on June 30, 2008 (West & Sabol, 2009), results in an estimated 200,000 gang-involved prisoners currently imprisoned, which is one way of establishing the boundaries of the STG problem.

• Winterdyk, J. & Ruddel, R. (2010). Managing prison gangs: Results from a survey of U.S. prison systems. Journal of Criminal Justice.

As you can see, most people in prison are not in gangs. There are no doubt a few prisons in which joining a gang is imperative. But overall it's optional.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Absolutely not. Wouldn't be worth the risk of death or other grievous bodily harm. (Even going to women's prison, which I've heard is not as bad.)

Would feel marginally differently were it not for the assault and battery rumor.

maximum security 'pound-me-in-the-ass prison'
    +1 for EXCELLENT usage of this quote.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP

As you can see, most people in prison are not in gangs. There are no doubt a few prisons in which joining a gang is imperative. But overall it's optional.
    1.) Are those the numbers for maximum security prisons, or does it include minimum security prisons that would dilute the numbers?

2.) Prison gangs do not necessarily accept any desperate inmate who wants in, I remember one documentary (I don't claim any particular knowledge on the subject) stating that the Aryan Brotherhood has a particularly stringent admissions policy (aside from the obvious, where they are surprisingly flexible, at least as far as Jews are concerned) despite what the logic of relative numbers would otherwise suggest.

MBTI
    ISTP

1.) Are those the numbers for maximum security prisons, or does it include minimum security prisons that would dilute the numbers?.
    Do your own research! However, if you find a study and can't access the pdf, I would be happy to obtain it for you.

MBTI
    INTP

Do your own research! However, if you find a study and can't access the pdf, I would be happy to obtain it for you.
    Heh. Maybe one of these days, I'm too lazy to satisfy my idle curiosity right now.

1.) Are those the numbers for maximum security prisons, or does it include minimum security prisons that would dilute the numbers?

2.) Prison gangs do not necessarily accept any desperate inmate who wants in, I remember one documentary (I don't claim any particular knowledge on the subject) stating that the Aryan Brotherhood has a particularly stringent admissions policy (aside from the obvious, where they are surprisingly flexible, at least as far as Jews are concerned) despite what the logic of relative numbers would otherwise suggest.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it