User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Roots?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 German, 1/8 Swedish, 3/8 English/Irish/Scotch
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm 1/4 English, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Scottish, and 1/4 Lebanese.

MBTI
    ISTP

3/8 Irish, 1/8 British, 1/2 Eastern Eurpoean. (various countries).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm the family genealogist, so I know way too much. I'll try to keep it brief...

My maternal grandfather's family is all from east Pomerania which used to be part of Prussia but is now northwest Poland. They lived in and around Stettin (Szczecin) and Kolberg (Kolobrzeg). I'm very interested in learning about Slavic influence on the German colonists of the area, especially after I found out that one of my ancestor's first names was Bogislaw. These families moved to Wisconsin and Minnesota, and my grandpa was born in ND and raised in Minnesota. Lutheran alert!

My g-grandpa on my dad's side was also German, with ancestors from the Minden/Frille/Dankersen area in northeastern Northrhine-Westphalia. (Hint: MORE LUTHERANS!) I have ancestors from other parts of Germany such as Baden and the Hunsruck region who came over in the 1600s and 1700s, and folks from other German-affiliated regions such as Vorarlberg, Austria and Alsace who came in the mid-1800s.

My 5G-grandmother was apparently an Osage Indian adopted by a family in Virginia, and on my mom's side I'm researching possible Cherokee or Melungeon heritage thanks to some "black Dutch" rumors, some pictures full of people with dark pigmentation and black hair and an ancestor who was found listed as "mulatto" in the 1870 census while living in Galveston, TX. Oh, and not to mention that my g-grandma was told to move to the back of a trolley in New Orleans in the 50's because the driver thought she was black. Some of that same family used to live right across the road from the French Quarter around 1910...that's pretty neat. To think I'm now stuck in the cultural wasteland that is north Florida.

The rest of my ancestors are mostly English, Scottish, French Huguenot and Welsh people who came over pretty early. One such person was Ninian Beall, a Scottish guy who was in the Battle of Dunbar against Cromwell and was sent via Barbados to Maryland as an indentured servant. He ended up owning the land on which the White House now stands. GIVE ME MY INHERITANCE.

So when it's all added up I'm about 52% German and the rest is a mix.

Forgive my lengthy indulgence.

MBTI
    infp

My family on pretty much every side going back has lived in Canada for about 200 years (or "British North America" as it was called then :P), so we consider our heritage to simply be Canadian. But before that the vast majority of my anscestors came from England or Scotland, with maybe one guy from Ireland and one guy from Germany. Thats because untill like 30 years ago, this part of Canada was Vanilla City, cause pretty much everyone was scottish, irish, or english in anscestry. Actually, the city I live in is still nicknamed Vanilla City. Lack of diversity for the win

Some interesting notes though, one of my anscestors sailed with James Cook (I think he may have been first mate, too, but I'll have to check that), and one of them was the mayor of the city I live in early in it's existance, and there are still a few buildings named after him (although he has a different name).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

My father has spent the last decade or so definitively tracing his family back to the late 1700s. Our surname and its root are notable in the history of northern Italy and the Holy Roman Empire. A prominent jurist is among a number bearing the name; and what can only be posited as family was part of the Ghibelline faction, imperials in service of the Hohenstaufen. My grandfather, imparted little about his past, was told by a customer that the house was dispossessed by some great ignominy, scattering the family.

It's been assumed that my mother's family is Sicilian, but a recent trip to Rome gave my grandfather reason to believe that the island was a much more contemporary settlement.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

a very good portion Irish (from around Galway, NOT scotch-irish!) from Appalachia, also part Cherokee, common as Pink pointed out, romani, German (bavarian to be specific), dutch and British (Yorkshire)

basically a mutt with an irish base
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    epyT

Irish and Czech, mainly, with some Italian and Hungarian thrown in for the hell fo it. Not sure about the percentages or fractions of each.

I'm Irish enough not to tan, but not-Irish enough to not burn grotesquely.

MBTI
    INTP

3/4 mixture of English, Irish and Welsh and the other 1/4 is Eastern European.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INxJ

From Japan.
    Mixed Irish and Japanese.
    My grandfather literally came from Ireland.
    So, Ireland and Japan.