First 1234 Last

Thread: Roots?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Like most people who've been in NC/SC/TN area for more than 100 years (for me it's been 350+), I'm Scottish and Cherokee Indian. I also have Northern Irish (most likely after the plantation period), English and Welsh.

So, I'm massively Anglo, plus native.

My immediate family were rather blue-blooded, so there's plenty of information on them. I pretty much know where all the graveyards are and who's buried in them and from whence they matriculated (like, Co. Antrim, or Edinburgh, or Carnarvon... etc)
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    yupp

my mom sides is russian my grandma's family came from north western russia close to finland, my grandpa's side resided in poland on the border (and their are a fair amount of russian people who are from poland) my dad's side is we know is scottish but there's more then just that we think from outside edinbourough but not 100% sure. My mom's family is easier to trace as they've only been here since the 1900s my dad's side has been here since the revolutionary war. (though supposdley they fought on the british side, and just decided to settle after the war not sure how true that is but that's what I was told)

my grandpa was born and raised in West Virgia my grandma in clarksville tn where my dad was born but he grew up in Winchester KY, where my aunt was born. My grandparents were born in Pittsburg, PA and my two uncles were born their aswell my mom was born in Export,PA which is a suburb. I was born along with my brother in Chapel Hill,NC and moved to Memphis,TN when I was 3 1/2 and my brother 6 I now live in Chicago,IL and my brother lives in New Orleans, LA (who is now moving to northern california) my great grandparents on my mom's side were born in the old country and I don't know where on my dad's side great grandparents were born.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Genealogy is fascinating. I have a huge PAF file of pictures and historic notes and dates. The PAF file is a great resource. You put everything in one place and back it up to disk. It saves a ton of paperwork.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

The only lineage I know for certain is German, for which my father says I'm 5/8ths roughly, mostly from northwest (Osnabruck). There's traces of British from my mother's family (somehow her family line traces back to Queen Victoria's lineage), some Irish, and a tiny bit of native american from my mother's side. Don't recall which tribe.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alcea Rosea View Post
    Where are you from?
    Where are your ancestors from?
    All of my grandparents came from Finland (based on the timing, I suspect my maternal grandfather was dodging service in the Russian army).

On the paternal side, I believe my grandfather came from near Karelia. I have no information on my grandmother on that side - she was a kind of a mail-order bride - my grandfather paid her way over and also the way for her two sisters in return for her, uh, services as a wife.

On the maternal side, my grandfather came from near Kangasneimi. I believe that grandmother was also from somewhere in the Mikkeli area. There is a Kuitunen family history dating back to the 1600's but I need to get a copy of it from my cousin.

And they all moved to Minnesota where there are plenty of lakes to jump into after sauna and where it get cold as hell in winter to create small, almost totally Finnish communities.

So I'm from Minnesota. I never did have a chance to learn Finnish as that what my parents spoke when they didn't want us to understand what they were saying.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Clever parents!
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

On my dad's side, the earlier ancestors were from Germany, and showed up in New york in the 1750's or so. I'm not sure overall when various ancestor lines on my dad's side immigrated over, mostly it would have been in the 1700's/early 1800s from what I hear. Most of them came from Germany, England, Austria, etc., and came to New York state. The family seemed to be pretty rich.

On my mom's side, it is a mix of various western European ancestry's that came to the country mostly in the 1800's. In the U.S. my mom's side of the family were farmers/country people around the northeast corner of Ohio.

MBTI
    INtP

I'm pretty much a mutt. That I know of, I'm at least part German, Irish, Czech, and English, with a little Native American thrown in. Don't know a whole lot more than that - I think I have ancestors who came over from Europe anytime from pre-revolutionary days up through the 1800's.

MBTI
    INTJ

First in the family born in Texas. (I know, it took them that long to get it right)

Dad's side is Scottish. Mom's side is Irish.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

I am 1/2 Finnish, 1/4 Swede, and the remaining 1/4 is a mix of Scot, Brit, and Spaniard.

cheers.
    Ian