User Tag List

123 Last

Default What makes you decide to friend someone on this site?

Just wondering. Do you just send a request to whoever you want, or does something specifically have to happen? It seems weird to just start friending people you don't know. Also, this site is all text, so I'm wondering.. when do you get the feeling that you know someone?

violaine

I don't over think it. I usually "friend" after a few interactions if I've enjoyed someone's posts. (I've only had one person respond that she didn't accept friendship requests from people on this site. Though I believe she changed her mind later.) If it doesn't work out, you can always "defriend" later...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If I want the person's posts to show up on my initial page + we've interacted a bit + I like her/him enough + I want this person to be able to write on my wall, I'll consider friending.

I've never denied a request, though I ended up unfriending a few. Too much negative energy and/or too much boring fluff are recurrent reasons.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by CapLawyer View Post
    Just wondering. Do you just send a request to whoever you want, or does something specifically have to happen? It seems weird to just start friending people you don't know. Also, this site is all text, so I'm wondering.. when do you get the feeling that you know someone?
    The way they come across to me may prompt me to befreind them. For example, I will friend someone who apparently has common interest or whose posts I find interesting. I will also befriend people based on the kind of vibes they give off toward me and even toward others. A few times I've befriended people simply because I felt they knew more about the typology than I did and I simply wanted to learn from them. I never turn down a friend request because I never know which friendship may become enduring or truly mutally benificial.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    The way they come across to me may prompt me to befreind them. For example, I will friend someone who apparently has common interest or whose posts I find interesting. I will also befriend people based on the kind of vibes they give off toward me and even toward others. A few times I've befriended people simply because I felt they knew more about the typology than I did and I simply wanted to learn from them. I never turn down a friend request because I never know which friendship may become enduring or truly mutally benificial.
    For me, all those kinds of things. I've even occasionally done it because someone might seem to need to know they're accepted on the forum and so I'm affirming for them that they belong here and people want them around.

And no, I don't typically turn down a request either, unless ironically it comes from someone I've learned enough about to loathe (which is pretty rare).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't think I've ever turned down a request, yet I don't think I've ever sent any out either. Other than the practicality reasons of having them show up on your front page, I don't really see the reason for them beyond it just being part of the typec meta-game.

That said, I've gotten some from users that have surprised the hell out of me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I don't think I've ever turned down a request, yet I don't think I've ever sent any out either. Other than the practicality reasons of having them show up on your front page, I don't really see the reason for them beyond it just being part of the typec meta-game.
    Apparently you are not aware of the vapid "Double-Secret Social Clubbite" group that you need a particular number of online superficial friendships in order to qualify for.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Apparently you are not aware of the vapid "Double-Secret Social Clubbite" group that you need a particular number of online superficial friendships in order to qualify for.
    So it's middle-school all over again, except the wedgies are all textual.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    So it's middle-school all over again, except the wedgies are all textual.
    Yeah. I wasn't popular in middle school, and I am not popular now.

*frown* Does a textual wedgie hurt? (Maybe it's safer to use a sans serif font.)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah. I wasn't popular in middle school, and I am not popular now.

*frown* Does a textual wedgie hurt? (Maybe it's safer to use a sans serif font.)
    *reaches in desk, grabs INFP hat*

The bruising heals in a week or so; It's the pain from the emotional scarring that lingers on

*places INFP hat back in drawer*