User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ISXJ

Default Tipping (not cows, and not just restaurants)

Out of sheer curiosity...and after receiving a $.32 tip on a $48 bill tonight, I was just curious as to how much you are inclined to tip a server that gives you decent/good/excellent service. 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 20+? How do you decide what to give? Is it based on past serving experience (if you've had any)? Or is it based on how tight your own money is? etc.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I always give 20% and I don't think I've ever received truly bad service that would cause me to think twice about tipping. .32 is beyond ridiculous and I'd be tempted to ask them if everything was alright. If they said yes then I would tell them they forgot their change. If they said oh that's your tip, I'd said you keep it. Seems you need it more than I do.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

i thought it was 30 %
    I N V I C T U S

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

It varies. I'd say the low is 15, and that's for pretty craptacular/slow/braindead service. Normal tip is roughly 25 (I round to the nearest dollar up or down based on some random something that may vary (mood? their friendliness? something else? I don't know)). Higher if the amount of the check is comically-low (like a $6 bill will get $2-3, I can't give them $1.50 or less).

I think tips under $2, or with change, are a sort of insult.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    Infx

Wow. I wish you guys were my customer's. It's pretty average around here to get 10%. Of course, I work at more of a diner, so maybe since the food's cheaper that effects it.

I don't really calculate a percent. I throw as much down as I can afford. XD I try to leave at least a 5 regardless of the bill, but sometimes I can only do two or three. It also slightly depends on the cost of what I got and/or how much work is involved in the order.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    istp

The Black Team tips well. The Sticks goes with 20%.
    No offense.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity...and after receiving a $.32 tip on a $48 bill tonight, I was just curious as to how much you are inclined to tip a server that gives you decent/good/excellent service. 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 20+? How do you decide what to give? Is it based on past serving experience (if you've had any)? Or is it based on how tight your own money is? etc.
    poor 10, decent 15, good 20, excellent 25
    [I factor workload into the valuation. Also, the more expensive the food and fancy the restaurant, the higher the standards I use to evaluate service. So, if it's a $20 bill, a decent waiter might walk away with $4... but if it's a $100 or $150 bill, he/she's going to have to work much harder, be much friendlier, and be that much more professional in order to get a higher percentage. I think it's perfectly reasonable to hold waiters at more expensive restaurants to higher standards. Plus, a waiter could do a pretty poor job on a $100 meal and still get $10, which ain't too bad.]

The waiter would have to be an outright asshole or the food tainted for me to refuse a tip... someone who's merely a bit cool but does the job doesn't deserve, in my opinion, to get no tip... which some people I know feel about it... this people are waiters... no matter what, the job is not the first on most people's lists.

Often when I double/triple/quadruple, etc. Dutch with friends I'll overcompensate for the tip, even at my expense (meaning others aren't paying as much as me) if I think it's low... waiters get criminally low wages because owners assume they'll make most of their wages in tips...

Also, I always tip in cash... credit card tips are often taxed or cut into by unscrupulous owners... and the payment always comes late. If you don't have a 5'er or a 10'er and you're in a restaurant... but you have a credit card... you're either a callous but silly businessman or a college kid wrassling debt...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

i won't tip if the service is bad, or if i ask for something and it is not received
    my ESFJ friend said : " stop being such a dick, blah blah blah "

but if they deserve it, they get my 30 %
    arbitrary, i know
    " but to be yourself is all you can do "
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    i won't tip if the service is bad, or if i ask for something and it is not received
    my ESFJ friend said : " stop being such a dick, blah blah blah "

but if they deserve it, they get my 30 %
    arbitrary, i know
    " but to be yourself is all you can do "
    That's horrible. The waiter may do a job badly, but he or she is still doing a job, providing a service. Their wages are based on the assumption that tips will fill the gap...

I would think one would reserve a 0 tip for someone who'd been an outright jerk or who kept spilling shit on customers... or if I found hairs in two or more dishes.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I would think one would reserve a 0 tip for someone who'd been an outright jerk or who kept spilling shit on customers... or if I found hairs in two or more dishes.
    Those are mere contingencies
    perhaps its the cook, in the case of the hair

and spilling stuff on customers ?
    unless the spilling is intentional, they would still deserve the tip

bad balance and bad service are twain different, my east coast affiliate
    if the person is a jerk, sure
    but then you give the boss a tip about her/his employees
    I N V I C T U S