First 789101119 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The restaurants I regularly go to, I don't have to tip.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Me too. I hate valet parking and only let them park my car when all other "practical" options have been exhausted.
    Tread lightly, dude. Someone here is a valet driver.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    I admire your commitment.
    It's not really a commitment, just a weird idiosyncrasy.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFJ

There is one restaurant I eat at probably seven or more times a week and I have been going there for many years. Because the waitresses never rush us out the door, are almost family, and the food is pretty cheap, I usually tip around 100%. This habit, I confess, has influenced a lot of my other tipping, so over 50% is not out of the question. What the heck...I'm old and a parent, they are generally young students, and I have plenty of money and a great job. I refuse to use common sense when a little generosity/affirmation can brighten someone's day.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    Yes, it is sometimes the case that they make a decent income - better than you would expect for their skill/formal education level. I can't universalize this, but, when i did people's taxes, I noticed that the waitresses made quite a bit more than almost all other "low wage" clients. They all decided to go do the returns themselves because they did not plan to declare the tip income (most of which was cash, so the IRS was out of luck).
    At a good restaurant with favorable shifts, they can make more than decent income. They can match the income of entry-level college graduates, often working fewer than 40 hours a week. I'm currently doing some valet work a few nights a week at one of the most popular restaurants in Minneapolis and I've been making about $600 (cash) for ~25 hours worth of work (most of which I spend reading a book). The waiters/waitresses who work in the restaurant can pull in $600-$800 working just Friday and Saturday, much of that cash.

The valet tipping is all over the place. Some people drop 20's, most give about $2. If you want to make your valet happy, give him $5 (even if there's a valet charge, the valets often don't get any of that charge. That pays for insurance, owner's salary, etc).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

As Wikipedia has suggested (thanks Geoff), Australia is not a country in which tipping is a common practice. In many parts, it is indeed considered insulting. So I may simply be a product of my culture. Still, I think Geoff, JiveAT and Kelric have given good reasons why the practice is unnecessary and (for me) distasteful.

For the record, I've been to many restaurants in Australia where tipping is certainly not expected and received service equivalent to what I received in America. Perhaps the American waiting staff didn't profile me favourably. Perhaps they recognized my accent. Perhaps Australian waiters simply give good service even when tips are not on offer. I don't know.

I guess a large part of my problem with tipping (aside from vaguely offending my egalitarian sensibilities) is that it makes good service seem like greedy service.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm a server/busboy/cook/delivery-driver/cashier at a pizza place. I get paid a little over minimum wage ($8.00) with the added benefit of tipping (~$15 bucks an hour with tips on average). Granted, 95% of the customers who come in, I fumble at small talking while I'm taking their order-and immediately cease and give them their food. The only time I don't fail is when it comes to beer knowledge / video games. So honestly, I don't expect a lot. People at my establishment (as in my workplace) seem to tip mostly because of the dank atmosphere: a beer can lined wall, neon signs, beer labeled bar, 70's rock, hippie clientele, greasy food etc. Well, then again, I do work with a really cute infp chick. And a hyper fe boss. Hehe.

I tip especially well at local establishments (Mainly The bayou - bar with over 200 beers & Java Joe's - damn good chai). From going to such places frequently, I've come to know the people there and come to think of it, I tip for "employee retention" since they have exhibited their merit to me. Merit being knowledgeable, genuine, and mellow.

I understand not getting tipped at all and I'm ok with it. It's nice but not required.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    INTP

I agree with Geoff, Kelric, and JJJ.

In one restaurant a server walks with $300 at the end of the night, at another a server walks with $60. The former is friendly and hard working, and so is the latter. The disparity in income has nothing to do with quality of service, but depends solely on the cost of the meal.

Moreover, at expensive restaurants the servers usually get help from support staff and don't refill drinks, pre-bus tables, or wash silverware. They may know more about wine and cheeze, but anyone who isn't an epsilon semi-moron can memorize a few culinary facts.

What's most shocking is how much people are willing to spend on something as worthless as having food brought to them. My sister put herself through college as a server and now makes less money as a primary school teacher than she did as a cocktail waitress. People are willing to spend more money on persons who bring them booze than they are on persons who educate children!

I tip 15-20% depending on the service and how complicated our situation was. I feel really cheap compared to some of you though I have always thought my tipping was at the appropriate level.

MBTI
    INTP

Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    In one restaurant a server walks with $300 at the end of the night, at another a server walks with $60. The former is friendly and hard working, and so is the latter. The disparity in income has nothing to do with quality of service, but depends solely on the cost of the meal.
    I fail to see the problem. It's not like high-end restaurants would pay servers $300 for a night at their own expense. Servers benefit from the arrangement.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."