The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Well, I guess I'm not going to London to wait tables... plus, everything's so bloody expensive there.
    Yeah, I know as I live in Oxford so it's just as bad where I live as it is in London.:steam:

That is partly as we have a minimum wage of £5.52 (or $11) for anyone 22 year old or over (that is about twice the US average), and as far as I know even the minimum wage for 16 year olds is higher than the average minimum wage adults in America are entitled to. Plus, waiters here all have universal health care, so unlike their US counterparts who mostly don't have healthcare insurance they will be ok when they make themselves sick eating too much pizza.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    xNTP

The absolute minimum tip I would leave is $2.00. And, I would only leave that amount if I had a small breakfast, lunch, etc at a dinner.

Here's how I determine the tip amount:
    1. Double the tax and round up or down to the nearest dollar. This yields a base tip amount of about 17%.

2. For good service I would increase the tip by a substantial amount of money that is commensurate with the base tip.

3. For bad service at a place I plan to return I do not deduct from the base tip. If I continue to receive bad service then I would either talk to the manager or stop frequenting the place.

4. Finally, for decent service I would give a 17% tip.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

20%, rounding up to the next dollar, usually. And we tipped like that even when we were really poor. I would have been mortified not to since we took four little kids with us everywhere we went, and though I tried to clean up after them, we still left messes. If we go someplace where 'kids eat free' we tip as though we paid for the kids' meals.

If the service was really great, we might give a dollar or two more. If it was really bad, maybe 15%. But we really don't go anyplace fancier than Garfield's at the mall.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I will tip anywhere from 10% to 40% depending on how good the service was. If my damn drink never gets refilled, expect a 10%.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

For poor service I'll tip around 10%, for average service 15-20%, and for good service 20-25%. If I give more than 25% it must be really exceptional service.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I always tip 20%, more if it's some spectacular service, or if I just feel like it. I don't really run into horrible waiters that often. In groups, I usually end up tipping more than my share. I hate people who don't put enough in and make us all look cheap.
    Now, this is one thing that drives me mad. Game theory and all that.

F'in. Split. The. F'in. Check.

Really, if you can't do this, you deserve a shitty tip. Don't go all snooty on me "We don't do that.", you pompus git, just freaking split it. I know it's work, I know it sucks, you're still going to have to deal with a bunch of payment methods anyway, but your tip difference will be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I gave the girl a $20 tip for my last hair cut.

She was good company.
    It's one of those other professions where I know they don't make all that much, work hard, and have to be so attentive. My regular hair cutting person also happens to be my best friend's wife, so it does add some interesting wrinkles (like when she knew I was quasi-employed, when she thinks it is too much, and that I know they're not exactly doing that well). She gets me back sometimes, like sending a little bottle of gel with Curtis when we hung out last time I was in town, because I mentioned my tube of gel was the only thing keeping me from going carry-on for short trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Honestly, 15% is pretty cheap, and if you give me 10% it really is an insult. When I go out, 20-25% is baseline (I usually round up a dollar like you mentioned, Wolf), and only drops to 15% if the service was rude or horrible.
    My grandfather, coming from the old school, always tipped 15% for as long as I could remember. He would do the calculation on a napkin, break out his coin purse, and leave exactly 15% down to the penny...

The thing that freaks me out is Canada and Europe. Damned coins. It feels wrong leaving coins for tips, no matter what they're worth. Now, Canada is played by the same rules as the US, but in other parts of the world my tipping rules may be radically different. In some places I don't tip at all, like when they add a gratuity or service charge to the bill. In Saudi Arabia we were service charged on everything at the hotel (and I mean everything, so we didn't leave any tips there). When we went out (which was always delicious, cheap, and with great service), pitching in on 25%, usually more, was a given.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    It's egalitarian to pay them minimum wage or better in the first place, and not leave them dependent on the uncertain generosity of customers. Especially since (from what I hear) obviously-wealthy customers will often get preferential treatment from staff in the hopes of larger tips. How could that not offend my egalitarian sensibilities?
    Yeah, no, not really.

That would screw you up every time here in San Diego - wealthy-looking customers tend to be relatively-poor. Even skin color isn't much of an indicator, though it's more likely to be correct in some parts of town. For instance, a suit here indicates that you're a service person of some type. Nobody wears a suit unless required to for work. The wealthier someone is, the more likely they'll wear simpler, more-comfortable clothing. They wear things like hawaiian shirts, similar shirts without the prints, guayaberas, golf shirts, t-shirts, jeans, sandals, boat shoes, etc... Then again, a transient might wear similar clothing.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Also, 20% or 25% seems crazy; I would rather give the money to a real charity than a waiter.
    Your waitstaff need to eat and live here/there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    That is partly as we have a minimum wage of £5.52 or $12 for anyone 22 year old or over (that is about twice the US average), and as far as I know even the minimum wage for 16 year olds is higher than the average minimum wage adults in America are entitled to.
    I didn't know there was a varying minimum wage there. The minimum wage is $8/hour in California regardless of age, which is a pittance, but even waitstaff make at least that much before tips. Still, it's expensive to live here, so if you can't swing ~$20/hour, you probably can't afford to live here.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    People who put tip jars out at Starbucks or at places where you pick up takeout yourself deserve a glove slap.
    Right on. I was waiting for someone to say that.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    We don't tip in this country. Frankly, I find the practice vaguely offensive to my egalitarian sensibilities. Rewarding people for effective fawning? Punishing them for insufficient fawning? Fuck that. Small wonder wealthy Americans tend to think so highly of themselves.
    Tipping should be eliminated altogether. When I dine I want a server not a hooker.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    For poor service I'll tip around 10%, for average service 15-20%, and for good service 20-25%. If I give more than 25% it must be really exceptional service.
    Same here. I've had some craptacular service the most recent of which was this Fourth of July. There was a hair in my water and the waiter never even brought a refill, and we kept asking for the bill and finally got in 30 mins after the busboy took the plates away. I have absolutely no problem with low tipping and on top of that I'll go to the manager and get a discount or free meal. I've got two business cards in my wallet with 30% off my next meal. I'm a hardass like that!

I worked at a restaurant for two years and messed up a table less than four times. I profusely apologized and redeemed myself. Maybe I was at a good restaurant, but my customers were decently generous with me. I hate crappy customer service it's one of the ultimate Fe irritants.

What bothers me even more is when I go out with friends and they get subpar service and are afraid to make any noise about it. My meal is OK, but there's is burnt or cold or it's just not the food they ordered or an ant is floating in their soup. They'll sit there, not eat it and pay for it. Thank god I don't mind making a scene. All that said, I'm not a bad customer and even if the food is bad if the waiter has got a good personality I'll tip on that alone.