User Tag List

First 1119202122 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Tippity Tippity

Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    How do you Americans (or Canadians) manage in countries that don't "do" tipping like Italy or France. Do you tip anyway? If so, that could be kinda odd for everyone.
    When in Rome is my motto.

My [American] friend is really big into tipping and being "magnanimous" in splitting bills (which usually means I end up paying for other people's drinks or meal NOT cool) and she insisted on making her Spanish friends tip the waiter when they went out for tapas...in Spain.

They were like why and they ended up leaving the equivalent of $1 or something. Waiters in Spain apparently make liveable wages. They also get a restaurant-employee holiday (one month of the year where it's expected restaurants will be closed so employees can go on holiday)

I think being an immigrant myself I assume things are done differently in different countries. In some overseas hotels that cater to tourists, mgmt. specifically asks people NOT to tip, because it is *not* customary in the country. I'm guessing the tips can create issues for management like harder to manage staff or competition/resentment amongst employees.

Even in the states, property management companies often ask residents *not* to tip the maintenance staff (holiday bonuses are fine, just not everyday tipping). 'Cause you know, then the maintenance staff will make the tippers' work orders a priority as opposed to the job they're given to do and residents may circumvent putting requests in with mgmt and just call maintenance staff directly, other residents get pissed off, etc. etc. etc.

Also, there's a tour 'bus' service in DC that circumvents the taxi licensing law by not charging a fare but merely working on tips (for now). I spoke with one of the drivers and he said that what he gets in tips varies widely. One mom with teenaged kids was driven less than a mile (a few metro stops) and she gave him $15. Another guy was driven much farther (cross-town) and fumbled out a few dollars.
    Last edited by CzeCze; 09-19-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: because I actually want someone to be *able* to read my post? hahahaha
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Default Tippity Tippity TOO

Rants
    I honestly hate how in the US employers get practically free labor and not only stiff employees but stiff consumers with the burden of doubly paying their employee salaries by doing that esoteric guilt inducing astrological sun and moon phase 'math' when it comes to tipping. Generally employers decide how much someone's labor is worth and there is a whole HR system, accountants, and federal and state laws and everything to buffer people from the distasteful reality of knowing (and deciding) someone's worth (and generally you make the case for yourself that you're worth more, i.e. asking for a raise).

But leaving that to customers who are 'waited' upon, it not only makes [some] people uncomfortable but it also brings up this whole undercurrent of class disparity and how 'good' of a person you are, blah blah blah. And that annoying holier than though attitude that equates higher tipping [regardless of the situation or wait service] with being a "better" person.

Similar to Sub's story, one of the reason I hate DC cab driver's is they act so fucking entitled. When DC was still on the 'zone' system I've had cab drivers count out the money you give them, think about it, and very magnanimously say, "Okay, that [the tip] is fine." Wow, thanks. And complain loudly the entire ride about how they aren't making any money off you. Of course, they scam you out of money routinely by adding a zone ($3-$5) to your fare, I've had cab drivers overcharge me as much as $20 (or try to) for a fare. Even on the fare system now they still find ways to scam you out of extra dollars.

Actually, one of my more amusing DC cab driver stories involves a hardcore Republican black male driver who had a filthy cab and was eating an egg McMuffin while he was driving. He assumed me and my roommate were hippie communist lesbian lovers (LOL) and he offered me some of his sammich. When I declined he said, 'I've never met a Democrat who turned down a free meal." So when I gave him my fare I said, "Here's a tip from a Democrat". LOL all around. Okay, it's funnier if you're really hard core into American party politics (which many people in DC are...nevermind)

I remember when the movers I hired finished a job in 2 hours (I had to pay for 3) moved all my boxes into the first room by the front door as opposed to moving them into the rooms I wanted, broke my tv console, lectured me and complained about how I should've hired them to PACK my items and not just move them (because I would have to pay much more) and that my move was "a waste of our time, what the hell are you hiring us for", quoted me $350 over the phone and then tried to charge me $1200 in person (I'm not kidding), made up a magical number of $75 to use some (unecessary) boxes to pack up random items, sneered at me "don't cry later when it breaks" when I refused to let them charge me $150 to 'pack' and move a $10 glas Ikea table top and I moved it myself in my rented SUV --- ANNNNNND the asshole had the audacity as I was about to sign the invoice (for the $350) to, and I quote, "Open up your wallet and give us some money". He didn't even ASK he was TELLING me to give him a tip after all that.

I have no problem giving gratuities because performance, economics, personal sentiment, hell social expectation, compels it. However, I cannot fucking stand the audacity of people with their hands constantly and very pointedly, out.

I'm not the motherfucking welfare system or a charity!! Or some fucking celebrity mogul who buys cars for people 'just because'!!! You can't shake me and expect gold coins to fall out!!! :steam:

:exhale:

Okay, I feel better now.
    Last edited by CzeCze; 09-19-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Scrubbing some 'eff-bombs' out with soap. You're welcome INTJMom's of the world. :D
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Well, this just makes everything more confusing. I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Rants
    it's just a big headache... a lot of times i wish we didnt have a necessity for money

I generally tip at least 20 percent (I don't tip at buffets and things like that though). If we've been playing chess at the restaurant for a long time, I like to tip 25%.

I am regular at most of the restaraunts I do to.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Should I tip the massage therapist at my gym? How much? Standard 15-20%?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I would, but my thoughts are "when in doubt, tip"
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What about tipping at restaurants where you are ordering take-out?

I've heard conflicting things on this. Some say you shouldn't tip because they are not bringing your food to the table, refilling your water glass, asking how your food is, etc.

Others say you should tip just like you would if you were eating in the restaurant.

Others say you should tip but less than you would if you were eating in.

I do tip in situations like this but somewhat less than I would if I were eating in.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I can't believe some of the high percentages people routinely tip. Maybe it's a Canada vs US thing or maybe my part of the country vs others thing, but I don't know anyone who would tip 30% unless they were really drunk or worked in the oilpatch and were young with a lot of money to throw around. 10-15% would be standard, and 20% very generous. I think here you'd be expected to for cabs, haircuts and restaurants. It wouldn't be very common here to tip a housekeeper at a hotel for making up the room. Some people might tip a free shuttle service to the airport driver, but I think it would be considered a bonus rather than expected. I don't like the trend of tipping the person who serves you ice cream at a summertime stand or the person who serves you coffee when you have to go up to the counter to get it. I think a lot of people just don't want to look cheap, so they give something. Generally, I think the majority of services here are negotiated into the initial price (eg movers etc).

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If the service is good, I'm a really good tipper.

Otherwise, just an average one.