User Tag List

First 101819202122 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Ah ok, thanks for letting me know. I think that's a better way to do it too, because the curbside people at my restaurant (I work at Carrabbas) constantly get screwed over. I usually make it a habit to ask how curbisde people get paid because I don't want to stiff anyone, and I would rather not leave a big tip if they're paid full wages already.
    If someone's running it out to my car, I always tip them. I'm talking about just ordering something to go.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Ah ok, thanks for letting me know. I think that's a better way to do it too, because the curbside people at my restaurant (I work at Carrabbas) constantly get screwed over. I usually make it a habit to ask how curbisde people get paid because I don't want to stiff anyone, and I would rather not leave a big tip if they're paid full wages already.
    Back before Bennigan's shut down, they paid the To-Go person $2.13/hour but they also got an automatic 10% grat from all sales.

Some days they'd leave with more than the servers....

In response to why the restaurant doesn't have to pay the full wage I think is that they tax the tip money. If we remove that, I'm sure they'd have to pay the normal minimum wage.

On an unrelated note, I enjoy going to a restaurant where I know people who work there. I normally get them as my server and I get good service, and especially fresh/hot food. I hate it, however, when you go to a place that you know the waiters, and they ignore you; thinking they can take their sweet time getting back to you. :steam: I have chose to not tip a friend before.

Normally I tip at around 20-25%, but ONLY when I can afford to tip. If I can't, I don't eat out.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

What happened? Last time I heard, the normal tip rate was 15%! So I usually give between 10% and 15% tips, but on the rare occasion that I have lots of cash I might tip 20-something percent.

(Related to Grayscale's post on the last page: )
    And when I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to tip or not, I don't. I always get the feeling it would seem demeaning to the person receiving the tip if they weren't "supposed" to get one. Kind of like telling someone that you pity them. Anybody else understand this sentiment? (Plus not tipping saves me money )
    Last edited by Cimarron; 09-18-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: noticed something

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    And when I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to tip or not, I don't. I always get the feeling it would seem demeaning to the person receiving the tip if they weren't "supposed" to get one. Kind of like telling someone that you pity them. Anybody else understand this sentiment?

If I'm not sure on whether or not to tip I won't either. I don't think it demeaning to give a person a tip if they weren't supposed to receive one. At my previous job I was not supposed to receive tips, but when I did my attitude was something like, "kewl, more money for gas." Money is money, and if someone wants to give me some because they appreciated something I did I ain't gonna say no :P That might just be me though.

(Plus not tipping saves me money )
    How fitting ^^
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Evan's tip starts at 10%. Depending on how I'm served decides otherwise.

I order my drinks without ice --always! If the drink comes out with ice, their tip just got cut.
    If my don't have to ask for a refill, their tip just got boosted.
    You get the gist.

I might throw a couple of pennies and a piece of bubble gum on the table, or I might tip 15-20% (20% being super rare since I don't have much money)

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    What happened? Last time I heard, the normal tip rate was 15%! So I usually give between 10% and 15% tips, but on the rare occasion that I have lots of cash I might tip 20-something percent.

And when I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to tip or not, I don't. I always get the feeling it would seem demeaning to the person receiving the tip if they weren't "supposed" to get one. Kind of like telling someone that you pity them. Anybody else understand this sentiment? (Plus not tipping saves me money )
    My hair stylist has owned her own salon and has done well for years. Technically one is not supposed to tip an owner because of the unspoken implication that she's "one of the help" and may not be doing well without the extra boost.

I asked her about this. She didn't say, "Please don't tip me!"

If I can afford a tip and am a regular customer, I tip generously. It insures continued good service and good will between a service provider and their consumer. Often my long-time service people will bend over backwards on those times I have a special request. Some even tell me things like., "Don't buy that today. Come back next week when they're going on sale."

Having a relationship with your service providers is becoming a thing of the past because of the high mobility of our population. And with the loss of that comes the deficit in efficient service, in my opinion. "Don't know who you are; Don't care."
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Wow, I never think about percentages... I just leave them three or five dollars and leave. What does my bill have to do with what kind of service you gave me? :confused:

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Because waiters have to make a living, so if you treat me nice, why not, I'll supply the cash thats gonna go to your six-pack of Shiner tonight. Waiters don't get paid near enough.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I usually tip somewhere between 15 and 20%, depending on what brings the total up to the next whole dollar increment (I use my debit card extensively and I tip that way).

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I tip around 30%- I work a job where tips are given (when people remember ) and have worked a job where I depended on tips in the past. As long as the person does a good job, they get a good tip. The worst waiters I've encountered get a mere 10% or so tip, and we're speaking waiters so bad that I have to go to the kitchen themselves to get a drink refill!

I prefer to error on the side of generosity than to be stingy.

Also- if in doubt about tipping- tip! It's not insulting, it's a note that says "good job!" to the person on the receiving end!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett