User Tag List

First 91718192021 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Are you supposed to tip the cashier when you call ahead an order takeout? I usually don't, because I didn't dine in the restaurant and have them bring my food and fill my glasses, etc. But you still get the tip blank on the receipt if you pay by card, and I hate having to actually make the decision.

Now, very occasionally, I'll actually walk into a restaurant and order something to go through the hostess. In those cases, I'll tip, and they usually do things like offer to get you a drink while you wait, etc. She is pretty much functioning as a waitress in that respect. I just don't like the idea of having to tip someone for putting food in a box and ringing me up. That's the stuff that should be covered in the price of the food itself.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Tallulah: If it's a bar/grill type place, and I get the food from the bartender, I'll usually tip a little bit, because I always tip bartenders anyway. Otherwise, no.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Are you supposed to tip the cashier when you call ahead an order takeout? I usually don't, because I didn't dine in the restaurant and have them bring my food and fill my glasses, etc. But you still get the tip blank on the receipt if you pay by card, and I hate having to actually make the decision.

Now, very occasionally, I'll actually walk into a restaurant and order something to go through the hostess. In those cases, I'll tip, and they usually do things like offer to get you a drink while you wait, etc. She is pretty much functioning as a waitress in that respect. I just don't like the idea of having to tip someone for putting food in a box and ringing me up. That's the stuff that should be covered in the price of the food itself.
    i dont think there should be any predetermined rules on the subject. it just seems silly that we "should" tip someone whether we want to or not. why has the classical idea of giving a little extra based on someone's effort deviated just for restaurant service? furthermore, i often wonder why we should tip waiters/waitresses at nicer restaurants more (since the food is more expensive and thus the same percent of a higher bill means a higher tip) even though they do the same job.

i can be a generous and i often enjoy giving someone extra to reward them for their work, but since it's more or less expected its hard to say im tipping them because i want to instead of because im expected to.

down with etiquette!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity...and after receiving a $.32 tip on a $48 bill tonight, I was just curious as to how much you are inclined to tip a server that gives you decent/good/excellent service. 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 20+? How do you decide what to give? Is it based on past serving experience (if you've had any)? Or is it based on how tight your own money is? etc.

I'm a big tipper usually. 20%+ Even if they suck, I at least give 15%.

$.32?! Maddening.

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Seeing how this works from the inside. I never tip when I call and order takeout from say like Chili's. The people who take those orders get paid full wages and they do not have to report any tips at the end of their shift.
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeCakes View Post
    Seeing how this works from the inside. I never tip when I call and order takeout from say like Chili's. The people who take those orders get paid full wages and they do not have to report any tips at the end of their shift.
    so its true then, normal waiters and waitresses are expected to make up a portion of their income with tips?

what's the rationalization restaurants use for doing this? why arent they paid full wages from the money the restaurant gets from the food?

MBTI
    ISXJ

Ooooh yay, my thread has been revived, merged, and moved the the bonfire...cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    Furthermore, i often wonder why we should tip waiters/waitresses at nicer restaurants more (since the food is more expensive and thus the same percent of a higher bill means a higher tip) even though they do the same job.
    As a general answer to your question, because higher-end restaurants do not give their servers tons of tables to look after. For instance, at my restaurant, I am not allowed to have more than a 3-table section. This generally ensures that all the side work gets done and that my tables are well-looked after. For the best server in my restaurant, the maximum number of guests he/she could theoretically have if every seat at each table is taken is 16 people (but the average for most decent servers is probably 10-12 guests max). It's very rare though to have all tables full to the max. simply because much of the population dines in pairs. Plus, at nicer places the tables generally take longer to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeCakes View Post
    Ummm whoa, who told you they get full wages??? The curbside people at my restaurant get $2.13 an hour just like any other server AND they declare their tips at the end of the night. Now, there is a curbside attendant who takes your order and brings it out to you, but during the dinner/lunch rush there is usually a "packer" there that gets $7.00 an hour to just pack for like 2 hours (but they don't get any tips). However, the curbside attendant also does packing and has to be there all day...meaning they rely on those tips. For curbside people, I usually give about 15% simply because they don't have to do nearly the work of someone who takes tables. I'd say it's different when a hostess just takes your order, because there is not a specific "To go" position. If a "to go" position does exist, you need to be tipping IMO -- or at the very least ask the server how they get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    so its true then, normal waiters and waitresses are expected to make up a portion of their income with tips?
    Ummm yeah! $2.13 an hour is server's wage. Every single one of my paychecks say $0.00 because that money goes strait to taxes. I only take home my tips!

MBTI
    istp

Ummm yeah! $2.13 an hour is server's wage. Every single one of my paychecks say $0.00 because that money goes strait to taxes. I only take home my tips!
    interesting... i still want to know why restaurants dont pay this. then again, they would probably have to raise the food prices and it wouldnt make a difference (right?)

thanks for answering, that makes a lot more sense

MBTI
    INTJ

Ummm whoa, who told you they get full wages??? The curbside people at my restaurant get $2.13 an hour just like any other server AND they declare their tips at the end of the night. Now, there is a curbside attendant who takes your order and brings it out to you, but during the dinner/lunch rush there is usually a "packer" there that gets $7.00 an hour to just pack for like 2 hours (but they don't get any tips). However, the curbside attendant also does packing and has to be there all day...meaning they rely on those tips. For curbside people, I usually give about 15% simply because they don't have to do nearly the work of someone who takes tables. I'd say it's different when a hostess just takes your order, because there is not a specific "To go" position. If a "to go" position does exist, you need to be tipping IMO -- or at the very least ask the server how they get paid.
    I actually do work at Chili's and they do get paid full wages.

And that's why lying to the IRS was invented.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I actually do work at Chili's and they do get paid full wages.

Ah ok, thanks for letting me know. I think that's a better way to do it too, because the curbside people at my restaurant (I work at Carrabbas) constantly get screwed over. I usually make it a habit to ask how curbisde people get paid because I don't want to stiff anyone, and I would rather not leave a big tip if they're paid full wages already.