User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Sounds reasonable to me. I'd like to point out that it's a two way street, though. If you're a customer and you're a douche to me or I remember you leaving a shitty tip (which I probably will), I'll cut my losses and give you shitty service. If you go to a restraunt regularly, it pays to keep this in mind because you get what you pay for. Servers remember who goes to the restraunt a lot and how they tip. If you tip better than average regularly, you will get better than average service. I've had a number of servers come up to me before and advise me on a table that I just got "They tip good, take care of them," or "Good luck with that, they suck."

On an unrelated note, I expected this thread to be about cows. LOL
    I know exactly where you're coming from on them remembering shitty tippers. I was a server for 3 years, but always knew when I fucked up. Then I would be alright with a crappy tip.

Then on the other end there you can give excellent service and still get gipped. A win/lose situation.

HAHAHA I knew I should have put (not cows) up there with it.
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    istp

i dont really care about most things, i usually give the standard 15%... if they take especially long getting things like drink refills, side items that people at the table asked for, or free pre-meal food like bread, then i'd probably give them less, on the other hand if they seem to be making an extra effort and everything is always topped off and such, i'll give them a bit extra.

the way i see it, i just want to enjoy my meal and their attitude isnt terribly important to me as long as they do their job. also, a lot of things like the meal itself is the chef's responsibility and outside of their control. i only base it on the things that are their responsibility, and often times if they're really busy, things like drinks will take longer, and so i'll tip less... because they have more customers that will compensate. if they have very few customers, i would expect what few they have to get better service since they have more time and attention to give towards each, and thus i would tip more (compensating for the lack of customers). overall i think if a waiter or waitress is doing their job right, they should make about the same amount in tips per hour nearly all the time.

MBTI
    INXP

How do you Americans (or Canadians) manage in countries that don't "do" tipping like Italy or France. Do you tip anyway? If so, that could be kinda odd for everyone.

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

^I wondered this also.
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Seems I've heard it's thought of as typical American arrogance.

MBTI
    ENTP

what annoys me is how here in the UK, where pizza delivery people have company cars with the gas paid for and where they get national minimum wage that's live-on-able, they think just because we see pizza delivery people getting tipped on the American movies, because American pizza delivery people get paid fuck all and have to use their own cars and pay for their own gas, that this somehow means I'm going to put money in their hand if they hold it out.

They can fuck right off.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Tipping wasn't customary where I was in Brazil, but tips were appreciated.

I still remember drunkenly giving a cab driver a 20 real tip for driving me home late one night The guy was THRILLED!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I didn't know there were countries that didn't tip waiters! I mean, tips are partly the reason people here become waiters in the first place I think, the potential to not have a cap on the amount of money you make in an evening.

Anyways, If the service is shitty, and by shitty I mean:
    1. They let my glass run dry more than twice during the meal. (albeit this is not a dealbreaker)
    2. They never come around to check (I don't always mind being bothered with a simple "everything fine here?" if it means I actually see the waiter)
    3. There's more than one person trying to wait my table at the same time (I hate this. I don't know WHO to tip, and it pisses me off that the restaurant becomes disorganized like that.)
    4. They mess up my order. (I dont mind the wait, but I want it right the first time.)

Then I tend to tip them nothing or the bare minimum. I'll throw a few dollars on the table even with all that shit written above because they might be new, they might be having a terrible day, the place might be busy.. but a bad attitude will DEFINITELY ensure no tip what-so-ever. I recently encountered this at Denny's where the waiter ARGUED with us about what we ordered. This was ironic since we sat there for 10 minutes explaining to him what we wanted to begin with.

I tend to get mediocre service at a couple mexican restaurants I frequent, which I'm not unsatisfied with. I give them about 15% of whatever I order, and I usually get enough to just satisfy and not piss me off.

Any good waiters I receive though I do tip them big. Attitude has a lot to do with this, but I remember Las Vegas when I was at Margaritaville we had a gentleman advise us NOT to get the nacho appetizer. It was just me and my friend, and he said the appetizer is so huge you'd waste your money on it, never eat it all albeit good, and not have room to try the rest of the food. Later we saw them bring said "appetizer" out (It was enormous. It took up their entire table, and 4 large men could not finish it.) and the waiter instead brought us out these conch ball-things that tasted excellent. I recall recently eatting at Iguana Joes and, even though there was nothing outstanding about him, our waiter was perfect in the way he took care of us.. So I was quite pleased.

I was only a waiter briefly at a buffet (those can be frustrating, I don't recommend waiting at buffets..) but I didnt like it at all, so Im pretty supportive of anyone who does that for a living.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I didn't know there were countries that didn't tip waiters! I mean, tips are partly the reason people here become waiters in the first place I think, the potential to not have a cap on the amount of money you make in an evening.
    You might find a browse of this Tip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

interesting. Note that if you leave tips in, say, France, you'll be paying for the service twice. In some countries a tip may be seen as an insult, I hear.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    You might find a browse of this Tip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

interesting. Note that if you leave tips in, say, France, you'll be paying for the service twice. In some countries a tip may be seen as an insult, I hear.
    That was quite informative! Thank you for it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge