User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Out of sheer curiosity...and after receiving a $.32 tip on a $48 bill tonight, I was just curious as to how much you are inclined to tip a server that gives you decent/good/excellent service. 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 20+? How do you decide what to give? Is it based on past serving experience (if you've had any)? Or is it based on how tight your own money is? etc.
    In Germany, it is typical to round to the next euro. That's it. Five, maximum ten percent would only be for absolutely astounding service above and beyond the normal call of duty.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    In Germany, it is typical to round to the next euro. That's it. Five, maximum ten percent would only be for absolutely astounding service above and beyond the normal call of duty.
    We have a completely different system in North America.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

In Germany, it is typical to round to the next euro. That's it.
    German law actually requires restaurants to pay their people, too.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    German law actually requires restaurants to pay their people, too.
    That is true. And the tip is already included in the price. That's the reason why you do not have to give extra money unless you are impressed. It is fairer for both parties - for the waiters/waitresses and for the person who is ordering.

There is no question on whether to give x, y, or z percentage because it is standard and set.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFJ

That is true. And the tip is already included in the price. That's the reason why you do not have to give extra money unless you are impressed. It is fairer for both parties - for the waiters/waitresses and for the person who is ordering.

There is no question on whether to give x, y, or z percentage because it is standard and set.
    Yes, I know. I actually like the North American model when it comes to billing, since it lets you know exactly how much the taxes are, and it allows some discretion regarding the amount of tip based on how good you feel the service was. However, it can suck for the servers, since there is no guarantee that the customer is not a complete jackass. I also tip 20% or more on average, and, if the service is bad enough to warrant no tip, I am comfortable speaking to a manager about it, rather than simply stiffing the server. I don't think that tips should be taxed by the government, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Those nasty people who are attracted to personality or smiles should be shot. It should all be about boobs and arses!

/Sarcasm (note for the uninitiated)

Shame on you to have a presence which trascends your clothes

Lol!

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

Default Tipping (not cows)

Now, whenever I go to a sit down restaurant this clip comes to mind. Just the begining though. The whole "this is your potential tip" bit. I keep a mental note of everything that displeases me. Not the doucheness he displays for something that is not the server's fault.
    [youtube=V1ZZWhSvOMI]3rd Rock From The Sun-Dick Tips[/youtube]

I myself hold a certain bias towards servers. Most likely because I was one. Here are my standards for a good server.

• Prompt greeting
    • Has a good attitude
    • They Keep my glass full
    • They bring my food out in proper order. (I hate when I get my appetizer with my meal.) -_- It's called an appetizer for a reason ffs.
    • They check in, but not too much. (I don't want to feel like I am being bothered.)

And I'm probably missing some, but those are the basics. The server makes the makes the meal imo.

It is a plus if they are A) knowledgeable about the menu B) knowledgeable about the bar. I will up the tip for this.

I am not nowhere near a bitch when I go to these places, but I do have expectations, and I tip accordingly.

I have heard that this is just a US phenomenon. That here we expect a much higher degree of service than other countries. *shrugs*

Anyone else feel/think this way? How do you base your tips?
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeCakes View Post
    I myself hold a certain bias towards servers. Most likely because I was one. Here are my standards for a good server.

• Prompt greeting
    • Has a good attitude
    • They Keep my glass full
    • They bring my food out in proper order. (I hate when I get my appetizer with my meal.) -_- It's called an appetizer for a reason ffs.
    • They check in, but not too much. (I don't want to feel like I am being bothered.)

And I'm probably missing some, but those are the basics. The server makes the makes the meal imo.

It is a plus if they are A) knowledgeable about the menu B) knowledgeable about the bar. I will up the tip for this.

I am not nowhere near a bitch when I go to these places, but I do have expectations, and I tip accordingly.

I have heard that this is just a US phenomenon. That here we expect a much higher degree of service than other countries. *shrugs*

Anyone else feel/think this way? How do you base your tips?
    Sounds reasonable to me. I'd like to point out that it's a two way street, though. If you're a customer and you're a douche to me or I remember you leaving a shitty tip (which I probably will), I'll cut my losses and give you shitty service. If you go to a restraunt regularly, it pays to keep this in mind because you get what you pay for. Servers remember who goes to the restraunt a lot and how they tip. If you tip better than average regularly, you will get better than average service. I've had a number of servers come up to me before and advise me on a table that I just got "They tip good, take care of them," or "Good luck with that, they suck."

On an unrelated note, I expected this thread to be about cows. LOL
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I'll tip extra for friendliness, as it pleases me. That is, friendliness without smothering.

Otherwise, they're going to have to screw something up through intent or reckless disregard to get other than about 15%.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Don't forget one of the most important things - a warm meal!

A long wait but hot meal can be forgiven if everything else was good, but a long wait and cold meal is tip death.