User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Same here, I've never valeted, personally. I just don't understand how the system is a 'screw job'. In the few cases where I've seen mandatory valet parking, it's been complimentary. If there's a charge, you always have a choice.
    In those cases I would still be nervous about whether or not I was expected to tip.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    In those cases I would still be nervous about whether or not I was expected to tip.
    You probably don't attend many events where it's mandatory. If you go to big-wig charity events, stuff like that, you'll probably run into it. And yeah, you are sort of expected to tip, especially if you come in driving a Rolls or a Bentley. If you're driving a Toyota, not so much.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Wow. Where does all the money come from for that stuff? I pay over 30% of my salary in income taxes, too. Not to mention sales tax and property tax if you own your own home.
    Hm... I guess some of it comes from oil, but there are many more important explanations. Rich people pay more income tax (up to 50%) and fortune tax in addition, businesses pay loads of tax, there is some sort of taxation on anything from selling cars to hotel rooms... hm... and did I mention we don't have a habit of blowing all our money away on military so we can wage pointless and even more costly wars?
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You probably don't attend many events where it's mandatory. If you go to big-wig charity events, stuff like that, you'll probably run into it.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that, and thanks for reminding me of my plebian status, but still. That's my point, I don't go to enough of those types of events to codeswitch to "what rich people do when they get together."
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

You probably don't attend many events where it's mandatory. If you go to big-wig charity events, stuff like that, you'll probably run into it. And yeah, you are sort of expected to tip, especially if you come in driving a Rolls or a Bentley. If you're driving a Toyota, not so much.
    Quite a number of wealthy people are the cheapest people you'll encounter.

I this website and while we're on the subject of elitists, this one's not bad either.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Quite a number of wealthy people are the cheapest people you'll encounter.
    And some are the most generous people you'll ever encounter (despite popular perception).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

I've found that rich people are no more or less likely to be generous than anyone else. It's just that it's more glaring when they aren't because somehow it's more expected that they'll spread the love.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

I agree with Ivy--I mainly don't like it because I don't like the stress of over- or under-tipping. I don't like to think about money, at all, ever. The restaurant thing is fine, b/c I'm used to it. But I don't like going places where you have to tip for everything, every time you turn around. It ruins the experience to have to think about money all the time.

Lateralus, you do have a point--valet always seems like a racket to me, b/c I don't know that much about it. It's good to hear your insider info about it. Kind of demystifies things. There are times when it's very convenient, but I don't like it to be my only option. I very rarely carry cash on me, and I would hate to NOT tip someone for that reason.

With the bathroom attendant thing, I can totally understand it if they're keeping it clean. The ones I'm talking about are squirting soap in your hands and handing you a paper towel. I can do that, myself, and it feels weird to have someone do it for you. I feel like Richie Rich, or something. Or a toddler. One of the two. I will throw in a buck if I use the extras they have, like hairspray or perfume. That's kind of cool.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

Anyone on here work at a golf course as the guy that takes the golf bag and straps it to the cart (sorry, don't know if there is a name for that position). On one of the nicest courses I went to the guy actually cleaned my clubs so I definetly felt compelled to tip him. But most of the time I try to avoid them because it makes me feel so odd to have to tip someone for doing that. Plus I usually have to undo and restrap it on the cart anyway. (Ha! I sound like Dwight Schrute: "I don't tip anyone for something I could do myself")

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Waitstaff does well to make minimum wage here, and depending on what state you live in, minimum wage is anywhere from $6 to $8/hr.
    In many states the minimum for tipped workers is $2.something. That's just ludicrous.

How could you even live in Los Angeles on less than that (the amount Carebear mentioned)?
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.