User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I came of age around popped collars. Strangely doesn't really work too far south of the Mason-Dixon, though.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I came of age around popped collars. Strangely doesn't really work too far south of the Mason-Dixon, though.
    "Doesn't work"? It was frat-douche central in Daytona Beach, Florida.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    "Doesn't work"? It was frat-douche central in Daytona Beach, Florida.
    Yeah, but that far south it's like... look, there was a time when people popped their collars to protect themselves from the cold, and when you see people who are scions of that sorta WASP-y utilitarianism there's something endearing and proper to it. There's a continuity of sorts when you catch little Blankington Smithe and Betsy Jamington in the fall with their Brooks Brothers turned up ever so slightly at the nape of their freckled necks that's just not there when parroted by new money. I dunno. I honestly take these things on a case by case basis. Some can take that popped collar and make it look like the green light at the end of the pier.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Ah, I see. E.g. in the winter I might wear my coat like so,

to keep my neck warm and because there's a practicality behind it it doesn't come across the same way as

MBTI
    INTJ

They wear button down collars so that when they ride a motorcycle to work their necks don't get destroyed by the flapping.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I also boycott button down collars. It's a slippery slope. You'll then progress to short sleeved button down shirts, and then pleated khakis and rockports, then you'll be trapped in IT/Middle Management heck. Nightmare fuel.
    You're being ironic right?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    You're being ironic right?
    Nope.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Nope.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

It's a logical fallacy, like saying that because average Joe didn't eat his wheaties this morning, he fell asleep at his desk; because Joe fell asleep at his desk, he got fired; because Joe got fired, he went home angry; because Joe went home angry his wife got angry; because his wife got angry she had a miscarriage; because she had a miscarriage Joe went crazy; because Joe went crazy he returned to work with a shotgun and went on a homicidal rampage. Therefore Joe should always eat his wheaties.

Or the more likely argument Joe didn't eat his wheaties this morning. When people don't eat their wheaties they are hungry. Therefore Joe is hungry.

But seriously, does a button down collar mean a button down personality? This is a site devoted to personality so it is a serious question. I mean, imagine if you walk into your therapist's office in a button down collar, what do you think she would think? Almost certainly she would diagnose a button down personality, and be preparing the appropriate therapy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

It's a logical fallacy, like saying that because average Joe didn't eat his wheaties this morning, he fell asleep at his desk; because Joe fell asleep at his desk, he got fired; because Joe got fired, he went home angry; because Joe went home angry his wife got angry; because his wife got angry she had a miscarriage; because she had a miscarriage Joe went crazy; because Joe went crazy he returned to work with a shotgun and went on a homicidal rampage. Therefore Joe should always eat his wheaties.

Or the more likely argument Joe didn't eat his wheaties this morning. When people don't eat their wheaties they are hungry. Therefore Joe is hungry.
    Slipperly slope has colloquial usage as well as being a category for logical fallacies. Guess which one it was first?

As far as the rest of what you typed. I'll let you know it's unnecessary. While I wasn't being ironic, neither was I being literal about it. There are many shades of meaning.