User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I also boycott button down collars. It's a slippery slope. You'll then progress to short sleeved button down shirts, and then pleated khakis and rockports, then you'll be trapped in IT/Middle Management heck. Nightmare fuel.
    I just try to avoid them with a suit or sport coat.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Buttoning a collar down is actually easier than starching/ironing/steaming a collar so it looks right and stays right.
    Are you wearing a button down collar right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Are you wearing a button down collar right now?
    Yes, with an ascot and jean overalls.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Why do American men wear button down shirts, that is, buttoned down at the collar?
    They are practical. I always wear them. I have a few dress shirts without button down collars that I wear with ties (like with french cuffs or something) but for the most part, I'd rather not either a) be too dressy or b) if I am not wearing a tie, have that loose collar flopping all around half sticking in front of my sport coat have sticking behind it. Also, I can wear those shirts any time - with a formal blue wool suit or with a pair of cotton khakis. So, the dressiest shirts I wear for formal meetings at work, I can wear every day.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Buttoning a collar down is actually easier than starching/ironing/steaming a collar so it looks right and stays right.
    Agreed. I wanna kiss the inventor of button down collars on the lips.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Yes, with an ascot and jean overalls.
    So, how do ya feel mate? Do you feel less hoity-toity than the upper class? Or do you just feel normal? Or do you secretly desire a cut away collar? Are you tempted to rip off the buttons and liberate your collar? Or cut the whole collar off and be cool? So how do ya feel?

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    They are practical. I always wear them. I have a few dress shirts without button down collars that I wear with ties (like with french cuffs or something) but for the most part, I'd rather not either a) be too dressy or b) if I am not wearing a tie, have that loose collar flopping all around half sticking in front of my sport coat have sticking behind it. Also, I can wear those shirts any time - with a formal blue wool suit or with a pair of cotton khakis. So, the dressiest shirts I wear for formal meetings at work, I can wear every day.
    Hey, you're not trying to be American or anything are you? Just one of the guys? The kind of guy a girl would like to be seen with in the street? Or perhaps the kind of a guy your mother would be proud of? Or, my God, you're not trying to be unAustralian on the other side of the world are you? 'Cause no one would recognise you as Australian with a button down collar.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Hey, you're not trying to be American or anything are you? Just one of the guys? The kind of guy a girl would like to be seen with in the street? Or perhaps the kind of a guy your mother would be proud of? Or, my God, your not trying to be unAustralian on the other side of the world are you? 'Cause no one would recognise you as Australian with a button down collar.
    Nobody would recognize anyone as Australian here, unless they're were dressed like Crocodile Dundee. No worries, mate.

So, how do ya feel mate? Do you feel less hoity-toity than the upper class? Or do you just feel normal? Or do you secretly desire a cut away collar? Are you tempted to rip off the buttons and liberate your collar? Or cut the whole collar off and be cool? So how do ya feel?
    I want to rip off everything, but the collar.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Hey, you're not trying to be American or anything are you? Just one of the guys? The kind of guy a girl would like to be seen with in the street? Or perhaps the kind of a guy your mother would be proud of? Or, my God, you're not trying to be unAustralian on the other side of the world are you? 'Cause no one would recognise you as Australian with a button down collar.
    I'm sure I won't be mistaken for European either.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639