User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Soundtrack of Your Life

Default The Soundtrack of Your Life

The idea, stolen from a television show, is to post a list of ten songs or pieces of music that, by the model of the show, are linked to important events in your biography, that have touched or accompanied you through life, songs that mean something to you. You may tell us why, too.

The purpose, as always on this forum, is to reveal something about ourselves to others in a roundabout way.

1. Ten songs only. You may list fewer than ten but not more. Those who break this rule shall have their bones picked clean and stars at elbow and foot.
    2. Listen to your Fi! Do not list songs to appear more sophisticated (or tasteless) than you really are. It is no fun. Plus, pretentious picks are ugly; unicorn evils run them through.
    3. You do not talk about fight club!
    4. senza tema may break the rules.
    Last edited by Nicodemus; 08-10-2013 at 06:48 PM.

729 sx/sp
    IEE Ne

1. In The Mood - Glen Miller: One of my favorites as a child. Reminds me of first loving music and life as a carefree kid. I was always in the mood to dance, talk with the adults, or play with my friends.

2. Friends - Led Zeppelin: The lyrics of this song's chorus sum up my mantra as a school-aged girl. "The greatest thing you ever could do now/Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now/It's very easy." Also...Zeppelin Rules!

3. Fight For Your Right (To Party) - The Beastie Boys: I had a lot of conflict with my parents as a teen. I wanted to go out and explore the world of parties, concerts, some drugs, and just whatever I could see and do. I had a real drive to get out in the world and experience it for myself, and my parents just saw it as me being "bad." I consistently presented them with arguments as to why I needed this, and never stopped fighting. They were turbulent years at home, but I had fun.

4. Karma Police- Radiohead: "For a minute there, I lost myself." In my tireless fight to party when I wanted, I probably ended up partying a little more than I wanted. I suddenly found myself with friends who seemed superficial, in places that were not intellectually or spiritually stimulating. I broke up with my boyfriend, withdrew into my college apartment bedroom, and tried to get back to me.

5. I Am A Wicked Child - Radiohead: "Mother Mary come to me/for I am a wicked child/I have sinned and I am so confused and I am a wicked child/I am the devil's son/and I wish I could be good /I walk a crooked mile/yet I wish I could be good". Trying to straighten out at this period of my life, but always feeling like I fell short. Lots of guilt and misguided attempts at spirituality.

6. Ramblin Man - The Allman Brothers: Lived in Mexico for a semester. Got to travel around, work on learning the language better, met people from all over the world, and felt free and fulfilled.

7. Maps - The Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Met my husband, and fell in love. He was just what I needed, and things were good. He wasn't as ready to move into a serious relationship as I was, so I had to be patient and give him the time he needed to heal from past hurts. I would listen to this song and cry when she repeated over and over "Wait, they don't love you like I love you."

8. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk: Enter a two year intensive grad program, the start of my career, moving in with my dude, trying to prove that I was responsible to my parents and to myself. I took it too far. Worked myself crazy. Developed an eating disorder.

9. Sweet Thing - Van Morrison: Our wedding song. We got married. I felt secure and surrounded by love which gave me the strength to start fighting against my eating disorder and start loving myself a little more.

10. All Is Full Of Love - Bjork: Working on loving myself and finding balance every day. If it wasn't evident, I have the tendency to go to extremes, so I'm working on keeping my pendulum swings a little less severe, and just loving my life for what it is and loving myself for who I am.

This was great. I have to steal this is some capacity to give to my friends. Thanks
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

5w4 sp/sx

I'm working on the list right now, but it might get very long and very personal if I add explanations....
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

I Know It's Over - The Smiths

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

Thumbs up

1) Fat Boy Slim - Talking About My Baby >

I was born, a new life not imprinted upon by experience and the passing of time that is a lie created by the existence of memory. I was brought the promise of a beautiful world with so much potential to learn and grow within, a big adventure....and it would go on forever under the big bright yellow sun.

2) Gotye - Making mirrors >

Young kid at nursery pre-school, day dreaming...wandering but now starting to come out of day dreaming and forced into the real world as people call it....which can be....vicious.

3) Pink Floyd - Dogs >

Slightly older now....about 7-8 learning about more of the brutality of myself and others, used to get into a lot of fights and commit unnecessary violence at this age, truely it was dog eat dog. I both hated and loved the kids around me and they hated and loved me, excluded I was...yet part of them all the same.

A lot of this time was sensation and emotion, I can't remember much apart from the negatives.

4) Badly Drawn Boy - Something to Talk about >

Got a bit better around age 9-11, but not much better, however I had resided to a nice place in my head, despite the overt feelings of exclusion, when I look at it now I get a bit angry with myself for being so self-involved. But others remind me that I was only a child, I never gave myself that excuse though, because I was always looking for something to talk about and I thought that I should be better than I was.

Started learning the clarinet.

5) Just Jack - Embers >

13-15 Got kicked out of secondary school and instead went to a teaching unit for difficult children....well most were on their way to young adulthood. Got frustrated with the original secondary school because it was a social wasteland hierarchy and the work was just wedging information into my head like blocks....hated it with a passion...there was no synergy to it and I felt like I couldn't retain anything....despite being reminded constantly of the importance of getting a good education....was just like embers from a fire to me, I didn't care.

6) Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - 1901 >

16-17 a highlight for me. The teaching unit had turned out to be a blessing and had helped me immeasurably. The small amount of students and teachers meant more one on one interaction and I think I really benefited from this. Now I was leaving, but I was assured the future was sorted, I was going to college, I was still uncertain so it was the 6th form college in my town I went to.

All was set, what could go wrong?

7) Pink Floyd - One slip >

17-19.....yeah....what could go wrong. Apparently a lot of things, once again I had become trapped in my expectations like a fool. I was even more outcast at college and it started to have a very real effect upon me, I did stupid things and acted emotionally which only confirmed others opinions of me.

Too many lapses in reason to count. Dropped subject after subject in favour of others...but no focus. Took psychology interestingly enough, but actually had little interest in how it was being taught, possibly because I wasn't ready for the style yet and hadn't been exposed to the style of education that it lead on from > Secondary school. A lot of bad memories here and quite fresh. Stopped playing clarinet...frustrated.

8) Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb >

19-21 jobless, prospectless. I just spent my time...wastefully. Joined various 'get you into work' programs...5 c's, Princes Trust....god I hated the last one, the scum I had to spend my time with...was actually worse than college somehow...although less elitist. Just withdrew into myself...did very little except mope pathetically.

Yeah the song is a bit cliche, but accurately sums up the feeling at the time. Felt very much numb and a bit of a wandering dog. I both hated the group thoughts of those around me, yet part of me wanted to be included and I despised that....why should I desire to get in with such people? Self hatred was always a theme and I wondered where it had come from. Although I did continue assessing how I could solve my problems and drag myself out of this spiral.

9) The Eagles - Journey of the Sorcerer >

21-22 An explosion of realisations which became motivation and getting back in touch with my imagination and realisations...I saw new openings and avenues and I realised, that action was the catalyst and no matter what string I touched, the vibrations would send me somewhere and somewhere was anywhere better than here. The wider spectrum of more existential thoughts I'd had when younger came back and sustained me.

Started volunteering for the British Heart Foundation, finally got back into my hobbies and eventually started my first time round at Argos. I quit the same quarter, but it was a start.

10) Groove Armada - Hands of Time >

22-present Went back to Argos twice...stayed there now as permanent staff and got second job.

Life seemed to be getting easier, but...always at the back of mind was a gnawing...the regrets of missing out on romantic relationships when younger...of course no one was interested so it wasn't hard to miss. Other regrets on choices I'd made in the past, which I decided it would be best to move past and not dwell on, especially the ones I could not change. But I feel the passing of time more keenly now, lie of memory or not I keep asking myself what I wish to do with my time.

I often walk along the pavement looking at the sky and dreaming of possibilities, becoming an author, the sun exploding, meteors, human progress and expansion through space, human extinction. The possible advances of the future and how certain things might turn out, if I fed myself enough information to build a picture of them. Started seeing myself as a brief observer only, shaping the world was not up to me, even if I had a small influence, it was only small and only to those around me who I love. I never had a clearer sense of my own significance within humanities group insignificance. I felt representative of this; an avatar of insignificance.

But it would be fun to see what comes....meanwhile the hands of time keep on shaking..

ps: Shame about the 4 video limit, I wanted to put them all in spoiler tags for those interested. But I understand.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

It turns out a list of biographically important songs is too personal. Who would have thunk? Instead, I opted for a list of songs that mean something to me for reasons I myself have not fully figured out. Underlying themes (lyrics are not always relevant), moods, places in time, an instrument, enlightenment in the basement of the soul. It feels like vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ.

173 so/sx

Fantastic thread idea.

I'll be back with a list in the near future.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

We Are The Champions - Queen
    Dog Days are Over - Florence and the Machine
    We Weren't Born To Follow - Bon Jovi
    Take the Power Back - Rage Against The Machine
    Greatest Love of All - Whitney Houston
    Stronger - Britney Spears
    Let it Be - The Beatles
    You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones
    Born Free - M.I.A.
    Sullen Girl - Fiona Apple
    I really like cats and food.

173 so/sx

In chronological order, with vague reasons for each:

"All Star", Smash Mouth
    (Used to sing this with elementary and middle school friends in the car -- good times not meant to last)

"King Of All The World", Old 97s
    (my favorite song for most of my childhood. can't really articulate the Fi on this one)

"Weak And Powerless", A Perfect Circle
    (reminiscent of a period of my early teen years when I was friends with a toxic person. we had some good times, lots of shared interests -- this style of music included.)

"Caught in the Rain", Revis
    (one of those songs that you come back to for comfort, time after time)

Opening Theme of "Chrono Cross"
    (still one of my all time favorite games, and favorite game soundtracks. this game, and soundtrack, saw me through a lot, and I don't regret an instant I spent with them)

"To The Moon And Back", Savage Garden
    (reminiscent of my childhood summers spent in northern Louisiana, and of reading "Interview with the Vampire" by Anne Rice while I was there in my mid teens.)

"Carry On/Questions", Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
    (my mom and I always used to harmonize to this in the car)

"Like as the Hart", Herbert Howells (composer)
    (sang soprano in this in church choir, with my mom playing the organ and directing the choir. still an all-time favorite anthem)

"The Breach", Bob Mould
    (for whatever reason, it was love at first listen, for the song and for Bob Mould in general. the first song I've ever listened to that I loved almost entirely for emotional reasons, from the get-go. can't explain it.)

"The Sound Of Winter", Bush
    (played this on repeat during a really rough patch last year)
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It turns out a list of biographically important songs is too personal. Who would have thunk? Instead, I opted for a list of songs that mean something to me for reasons I myself have not fully figured out. Underlying themes (lyrics are not always relevant), moods, places in time, an instrument, enlightenment in the basement of the soul. It feels like vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ.

I am blown away by your list.