'Crazy calypso' (Donkey Kong Country 3 soundtrack)
MGMT - Kids
'Hadouken Theme' (Street Fighter II Victory soundtrack)
Gorillaz - Tomorrow comes today
'Near's theme b' (Death Note soundtrack)
Disturbed - Night
Enigma - Return to innocence
Waterboys - This is the sea
Armandinho - Lua cheia
Soul Town - The Motherhood
A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '
She’s Always in My Hair – Prince
This song is a masterpiece and one of my favorites of all time yet… whatever ‘The Artist Formerly Known As…’ does to keep his songs off the internet ($$$) works. Asshole! How are poor people supposed to enjoy your music?
Aicha - Cheb Khaled
From my time living in Egypt. ‘Aicha’ is an old, French love song… that Khaled remade into what became one of the most popular songs in the Middle East. I actually love the song but a good deal of its popularity can be attributed to the fact that Aicha is/was (also) the name of the Prophet Mohammad’s main wife. I wish @YWIR was here to confirm this damn you! (I miss you)… but I’m pretty sure this song is considered an ‘anthem for women.’
I only considered a few aspects of my life and still I can't work within the limits... Even as I type this there are a thousand more songs calling out to me and I'm doing what I can to ignore them! haha.
I can't resist. (but could make probably 20 of these lists)
1. 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' - Elton John - represents my early childhood. I didn't listen to much music during this time, as outside of classical music, music wasn't much of an element of my family/upbringing growing up; I just wasn't exposed to it. But this was definitely my favorite song, of the limited number of cassette tapes my parents put in the car for family vacation road-trips. Loved the melody and lyrics, got excited when it started playing, sang it [badly].
2. 'Crucify' - Tori Amos - suitably captures the mood of my teenage years, also from that time period/became familiar with this artist at that time
3. 'Spin Spin Sugar' - Sneaker Pimps/Moby remix - college recollection/ sums up time period, #1
4. 'Two Step' - Dave Matthews Band - college recollection/ sums up time period, #2
5. 'EZ' - Pete Yorn - first few yrs post-college
6. 'Galvanize' - Chemical Brothers - mid-20's, started traveling, song symbolizes/reminds me of that time period
7. 'Dirty Road' - Days of the New - mid-20's /ongoing
8. 'After All' - Dar Williams - late 20's / ongoing
9. 'My Love' - The Bird and the Bee
10. 'Circuital' - My Morning Jacket - Summary
"...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce
Invisible Touch- Genesis
Early childhood. When life and everything was new, my world was immersed with magic of 80s music, fantasy fairy tale worlds, etc.
Too Many Walls- Cathy Dennis
Aesthetically fits my mindset and experiences when I was in early elementary school. Still with yearning idealism, even with wistful yearning with others' experiences. Sensitivity, etc.
I Want You- Savage Garden
Middle school. Getting crushes for the first time, dances, feeling of anticipation of year 2000, futuristic sci-fi worlds, my thing for creating fairy lands through my writing and artwork, magic, yet feeling kind of out of place as a result.
High school. Was a transitional period for me, discovering who I am, where I belonged.
A Curious Feeling- Tony Banks
Entering college and real life hit me. It was a cynical period of my life, but at the same time, I also become more self-aware and encountered much personal growth.
I'll Be Waiting- Tony Banks
Getting over my shyness in the dating scene in college. Overall, the atmosphere and aesthetic of this piece also reflects the mood I was in when I was going to college.
Tonight Tonight Tonight- Genesis
Going to work for the first time in college years, as well as immersing in 80s music. Yet more focus on musical atmosphere here.
Forevermore- Dorian Gray
Present day. Taking a chance to pursue my passions, feeling pent up by the restrictions in my situation, yearning to realize my dreams, wanting freedom, exploring inner magical universes, and ridding myself of things from the past that only serve to take away my liberty, great deal of personal growth and looking towards the future.
“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche