User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Adapted from the first post in my blog:

“Disarm” – Smashing Pumpkins: I met Otto in youth orchestra. I liked him because he had an unusual name and played the clarinet. He went to a different school. We had many phone conversations, but were never "boyfriend/girlfriend." He just wasn't that into me. But he introduced me to Smashing Pumpkins, whose music got me through a lot of middle school and high school, so the "relationship" was definitely worthwhile.

”Push” – Matchbox 20: She said I don't know if I've ever been good enough / I'm a little bit rusty, and I think my head is caving in / And I don't know if I've ever been really loved / By hand that's touched me, well I feel like something's gonna give
    This song reminds me of Jon, a guy I didn't actually like at first, but he woos me with chivalry (carrying me over puddles, etc) and passion. But the relationship went bad. He tried to push me into more physical intimacy than I was ready for, and he was controlling. My parents didn't like or trust him (and they made my little brother spy on us!).

“Mayonaise” – Smashing Pumpkins:
    No more promise no more sorrow / No longer will I follow / Can anybody hear me? / I just want to be me / And when I can, I will
    High School. I'm friends with the "band nerds." "Popular" people still make fun of me, but I am coming into my own and starting to not care what others think. I no longer try to fit in with the "cool" kids and am focusing on figuring out who I am.

"Kiss Me" - Sixpence None the Richer. My song with Nick, my high school sweetheart and first great love.

“Letting the Cables Sleep” – Bush: I never seem to get in the place where I belong.

“La la” – The Verve Pipe: And though I never did surrender could you please remember / If and when we meet again we once were more than friends
    Song Nick sent me when we broke up.

“This Year’s Love” – David Gray: This year's love had better last / Heaven knows it's high time
    Another failed relationship (this one after college) and I'm fricking sick of dating and just want to find The One.

“Such Great Heights” – Iron & Wine: I have to speculate / That God himself did make us / into corresponding shapes like puzzle pieces / from the clay
    Lucky me, I found him!

“I’m Yours” – Jason Mraz - our wedding song

“We’ve Only Just Begun” – The Carpenters - Also played at our wedding, and my parents' wedding.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    Yes, I apologise for the gimmick but I can assure you it will fade away in time.

I know I know, far too obvious.

Just thought a big event in my life I missed out was an asthma attack at around 14, where I had a respiratory arrest and later a cardiac arrest.

To me the peaceful nature of not being here for that brief time, that time of nothing and no consciousness reminds me of this tune:

'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson: When I was a kid, I used to move around a lot. I remember living with my grandparents because my dad had to know entirely what he was getting into before he could settle on a house with my mom. And then in elementary school, I moved to the completely other end of the country because of my dad's job. I had to say goodbye to my best friend and my entire family. Once elementary school was over, my mom started homeschooling me with a few other kids because she didn't like the schools in our area. At the same time, my grandparents moved in with us so my grandma could get treated for her lung cancer at a good hospital while my grandpa could get treated for Alzheimer's. After 8th grade, I had to say goodbye when my best friends moved away to the east coast while also preparing to enter public high school. During all these years I learned to cherish my roots, the places I've been, and the people I've met along the way. My childhood taught me how to adapt quickly and dive boldly into new experiences. Listening to this song helped me learn this as well (it's always been my anthem since 2004).

The Trouble With Love Is - Kelly Clarkson: Probably what I needed to listen to more often during the end of middle school to the end of my sophomore year in high school. I wanted to be in love so badly that I can't remember a time that I wasn't dating or pursuing someone. Moving to one fascination after another, with a lot of dramatic heartbreaks in between, I would usually get down on myself for not being able to maintain the relationship properly. But after a few serious relationships, I learned that love was not just some childhood fantasy. It was real and alive, and after my experiences I was more prepared to take it on.

Because of You - Kelly Clarkson: This was the time of my life where I struggled with keeping my sexuality a secret from my parents. For reasons I'm not really sure of, I was open with my friends and even strangers about it. My dad had a very traditional view of homosexuality and my mom, while being open about being okay with it, was still uncomfortable with the idea of me not being straight. For a long time I felt uncomfortable and out of place in my own home and I would only wait for the next time I'd see my friends so I could continue being myself. But when I was asked to be quoted in a school newspaper article I realized I had no shame in who I am and my friends would be there to support me so I mustered up the courage to come out to my parents. I didn't have to be ashamed of my life so I felt I could be confident and myself wherever I go.

And in conclusion Kelly Clarkson herself is basically my life soundtrack.

(I would also be 100% okay with the Cowboy Bebop or Lovely Complex soundtrack being used to narrate my life)
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My list....

1. "Jehovah" - Amy Grant (Age to Age)
    Beliefs change, but the song lingers -- the heart of the child looking for something bigger. I remember laying in bed listening to this song on my tape player, swept away on the music. Every time I hear it, it's like I'm a teenager again, so young, wide-eyed in the dark, searching. I don't know why the music has become an embodiment of the religious portion of my past, as there are "better" songs IMO, but emotionally this is the one that resonates with me.

2. "Eye in the Sky" - Alan Parsons Project (Eye in the Sky)
    Kinda describes the best music of my high school period in my life -- right tone, right sound, right type of group (people knew of them, but still kind of like outsiders). Concept albums are also a dying breed, alas, in a digital download reality.

3. "Nights in White Satin" - Moody Blues (Days of Future Past)
    With narration, of course.

4. "I Carry Your Heart" -- Michael Hedges (Taproot)
    This is the love I always wanted, sometimes thought I'd found, but .... so deep.

Lyrics are from the poem by ee cummings:

5. "Separate Ways" -- Journey (Worlds Apart)
    Not only the quintessential pop rocker song when I was in high school, but my kids loved it and would insist we blast it on the CD player when we'd go on family vacations. We would all be bouncing our heads around in the car like Muppets on crack.

6. "Reflections" - Christine Aguilera (Mulan)
    When I heard these lyrics, it was like they were written for me. I could have sung this, looking back at my life at 38. The context for Fa Mulan was different in some ways, yet it's still the same sort of struggle. Just amazing.

Happily, Mulan and my reflections finally are now, more or less, correct.

7. "Always" - Jonatha Brooke / The Story (Grace in Gravity)
    Magical song in itself... and Jonatha herself really opened me up to new ways to construct a song, musically. I consider her a strong musical influence and indicative of the kind of music that resonates with me.

8. Theme from "Tomb Raider"
    A weird selection, you are probably thinking. But Tomb Raider was one of the first computer games I ever really fell in love with... and part of the reason was the feeling I had as soon as that "Start Game" screen opened and the sound of the lone oboe echoed through the room. Even the variations on the theme since have lingered with me, some quite lovely. I find it haunting, and it supports that achy but excited feeling I get when I most see the world as a place of both mystery and exploration.

9. "Defying Gravity" -- Stephen Schwartz (Wicked Soundtrack)
    I find myself having more in common in some ways with Galinda than with Elphaba, but in this respect, at that time of my life, this song described very much how "something had changed within me, something was no longer the same," and it was too late to go back to sleep... I could only trust my instincts, close my eyes, and leap. Trusting instinct and feeling was frightening for me, as I couldn't sensibly justify anything, I just knew that I couldn't keep doing things the same way.

I had to leave a lot of my life behind when I made that transition, and actually much of it was others leaving ME behind even when I wanted to maintain the ties. So the lines that resonated most for me in this song were the following:

Too long I've been afraid of
    Losing love I guess I've lost
    Well, if that's love
    It comes at much too high a cost

So for everyone who would have brought me down, take them a message back from me -- tell them how I'm, still after all this time, defying gravity.

10. "Together We Will Live Forever" - Clint Mansell (The Fountain soundtrack)
    A piano solo so simple that I could improvise it on my own, but it captures the quiet painful contemplative beauty of life leading to death and back again to life... the endless cycle of ending and beginning that every human being in the universe (as part of the universe) is part of. The movie portrays two lovers facing the possibility of death, with one desperately trying to save the other, and how they both cope with impending loss. This music runs quietly over the end credits full of slowly blossoming balls of light -- new stars -- emerging against what had been an empty black universe. The last two times I've watched that sequence, I've been surprised to just burst out sobbing; I've never quite tasted beauty and loss so indelibly mixed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Please Come Home For Christmas byThe Eagles & Thank God Its Christmas by Queen- Reminds me of car trips to/from my Grandparents house at Christmas time. Of course, there were many other songs played on the radio but for some reason these 2 songs have especially stood out as memories.

Never Say Goodbye by Bon Jovi- Reminds me of High School in general, more relevant for drifting apart from friends rather than romantic.

Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack & (yet another mention for) Nights in White Satin by Moody Blues- Significant (and great!) memories of somebody.

Layla by Derek & The Dominoes- I remember this playing one night while hanging out with some good friends. Nothing eventful happened that night but it was a great time in my life and this song always brings back memories of that group and time.

I Love You by Sarah Mclachlan- Hauntingly familiar to my one true regret in life.

Whatever song I just stole the words “Hauntingly familiar” from, I’m actually singing that in my head right now but for the life of me can’t think of the song.

Edit: It was Edge of Seventeen by Stevie Nicks. Thanks @Nicodemus. For some reason I was thinking it was another song by the Eagles which would be weird to have 2 songs here since I don't really like them much.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

Anew Leaf

Limits make me a sad panda riding an even sadder unicorn that is consuming the world's saddest cotton candy buffet.

#1: Swan Dive ~ Ani Difranco. The whys would take too long to explain.

Glycerine

(In random order)
    1. Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls
    2. The Middle by Jimmy Eat World
    3. Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World
    4. So Far Away by Staind
    5. Pitseleh by Elliot Smith
    6. Glycerine by Bush
    7. Name by The Goo Goo Dolls
    8. She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5
    9. Fine Again by Seether
    10. Away From The Sun by 3 Doors

Some of these don't really make sense but I still really gravitated towards them. The significance of the songs are too personal.

EDIT: 1 part nostalgia, 3 parts catharsis, 1 part motivation/inspiration.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

In Biographical Order Starting From Age 16. Further Chronological Data Unavailable.

The Hardest Button to Button = The White Stripes
    Up the Wolves = The Mountain Goats
    I Wish I had An Evil Twin = The Magnetic Fields
    You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told) = The White Stripes
    Sleepwalking = Modest Mouse
    Heart Cooks Brain = Modest Mouse
    Star Around Her = Mountain Goats
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    In Biographical Order Starting From Age 16. Further Chronological Data Unavailable.

The Hardest Button to Button = The White Stripes
    Up the Wolves = The Mountain Goats
    I Wish I had An Evil Twin = The Magnetic Fields
    You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told) = The White Stripes
    Sleepwalking = Modest Mouse
    Heart Cooks Brain = Modest Mouse
    Star Around Her = Mountain Goats
    I almost mentioned 'No Children' by The Mountain Goats in my list.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I almost mentioned 'No Children' by The Mountain Goats in my list.
    That's a good one, but it's not one I've been able to personally relate to. It's also not clear to me if the song is caused by the title, or the title is caused by the song. I prefer the latter.... while I haven't made any decisions on the subject, I lean way more towards one side than the other.

You did include what might very well be my favorite Bob Dylan song ever (not an easy choice). Although that's not my favorite recording.... I can't find a video of it, but it's on a live album I have.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78