User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like to 'Judge' people?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 34.78%
  • No

10 43.48%
  • Maybe

5 21.74%
  • God

5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

I hate it when I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i feel bad when i judge people. i was waiting on my bf at the grocery store and just standing there silently judging some woman who i thought was being dismissive and rude to the check out girl....i had decided she was a mean drunk even...it went on and on... i don't normally do this (i must have been bored)
    but i didn't see her look at the chic once or smile or anything and then she walks right over to me and tells me how pretty my dress is with a big ol warm smile on her face.
    I always wondered why people ever used one dollar bills to pay for beer. What happen? Because of my judgmental side, I thought that people who bought beer with $1s were trying to be cheap by scamming the cashier. Why did I think that? More bills to count so more mistakes. So I was like... why can't you people pay with $10 or $20 instead? People these days holding up the line.

After that, I found out that when groups decide to buy beer, many of them choose to separate the cost of each beer beforehand (which is why there are a lot of $1s.) Not the perfect explanation, but I think works if you're an alcoholic drinking with people?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I dislike judging people because I think that each individual is too complex to be reduced to quick conclusions. Perhaps this is a judgment, but from everything I know, I suspect that people are exactly the sum total of their genetics and experiences. Judging is often a way to assume another person has control over their life and has made a wrong choice. When we feel superior, we feel safe. Life isn't safe.

That might not be the type of judging referred to in the OP, but it is how I understand it. I haven't found the judgments of others of me personally to be helpful. I also don't think I've been helpful when I've judged others.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I hate it when I do it.

I always wondered why people ever used one dollar bills to pay for beer. What happen? Because of my judgmental side, I thought that people who bought beer with $1s were trying to be cheap by scamming the cashier. Why did I think that? More bills to count so more mistakes. So I was like... why can't you people pay with $10 or $20 instead? People these days holding up the line.

After that, I found out that when groups decide to buy beer, many of them choose to separate the cost of each beer beforehand (which is why there are a lot of $1s.) Not the perfect explanation, but I think works if you're an alcoholic drinking with people?
    sure yeah...there's almost always a reason and i prefer to think well of people. in that particular instance...which was so not a big deal...it just stood out because i so rarely do that...make judgment calls on strangers. and pointed it out to my infp bf because he's way more judgy than me.

but god i remember how much i hated constantly hearing my ex istjs shitty comments about just about everyone...it made my space all toxic and hard to breathe.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I don't like to, but I do it anyways. Fundamental attribution error can certainly be a bitch though.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

@Lady X high five!
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Of course, but it's private. I do it inside, but I avoid talking about it and am cold toward those who do talk about their judgments of others to excess.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

sure yeah...there's almost always a reason and i prefer to think well of people. in that particular instance...which was so not a big deal...it just stood out because i so rarely do that...make judgment calls on strangers. and pointed it out to my infp bf because he's way more judgy than me.

but god i remember how much i hated constantly hearing my ex istjs shitty comments about just about everyone...it made my space all toxic and hard to breathe.
    Yeah I usually prefer not to be talking about people, even in my instance, it is the thought of it that makes me mad. And in real life, I generally don't talk about people because I don't like creating hard feelings.

When I notice I am being judgmental, I'd generally make a mental note that I need to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Glycerine

Who is to say that "judging" has to be negative? From the Oxford English Dictionary: [with object] form an opinion or conclusion about. We all do it.

Saying that, I dislike it when I have a strong negative reaction (judgment) towards someone. I feel guilty and wonder about the reasoning behind it.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

oh god me too. i can't even help it. i stand up for people that i even dislike when something i feel isn't fair or accurate is being said about them.
    What about fair judgments?

I dunno. Maybe I'm being dense, but I feel like the difference between accurate/fair judgment and inaccurate/unfair judgment is crucial here. It sounds really bad to say that you like judging people, in the context of, say, belittling them unfairly to boost your own ego. But in my case:

- I prefer to understand why people act the way they do
    - It bothers me when I don't understand them
    - I understand people better when I can see them within a familiar framework.

Saying "they're a unique and beautiful human being just like everyone else" doesn't solve the problem of Why They Are Driving Me Crazy, even if it's more accurate and harder to refute. But being able to give a name to what you see in them, does help. When used correctly -- hence my earlier distinction -- it's incredibly helpful. Not only is it reassuring and comforting, but it gives you insight as to how to deal with those people better. Which, like @Poimandres said in the OP, is exactly what the Myers-Briggs does.

In short = I love making correct judgments with practical use, and I hate making inaccurate judgments.

Edit: I recognize the inherent bias in my use of the words "correct", "accurate", and "fair". But firstly, judging is unavoidable and everyone does it, so you might as well try to do it in a way that isn't hurtful. And secondly, I'm a 1w2 and as much as I try to be kind and accepting, the tendency to judge pulses through my veins every day of my life.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

I make my mental notes on people, and if they don't seem interesting enough to pursue after the fact, I don't get to know them. I may criticize their techniques and minor quirks, but as a whole I love everyone on a basic level.
    I N V I C T U S