User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone struggle with depression?

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

yes since i was 10yrs old possibly before.
    by @magpie

Infinite Bubble

Yes, although it is slowly dissipating now with some help. It has been severe over the last two years or so. Reality seemed to go incredibly strange and distorted at one point too, and I figured it must have been bordering on psychotic, with some very bizarre thought patterns going on. I remember thinking that "life" was against me (as if "life" was some sort of living entity) and having a sort of secondary voice in my head that retorted with heavily negative things and said the worst outcomes of a given situation was going to happen.

Interestingly, that was when I fully gave up agnosticism and turned to atheism, which helped quite a bit. That time period was also home to some really great and creative thoughts too, so I guess it wasn't all bad. Thankfully that part hasn't diminished, but the depression is, currently.

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

It's not clinical depression... I rarely show the physical signs associated with that, and not longer than a few weeks ever. I've had bouts of no appetite & excessive sleeping or frequent migraines, but I usually recover within a month or two.

It's more like I'm a moody person with frequent & heavy lows. I have a melancholy demeanor & penchant for sadness. Sometimes I let this gloominess take over the better parts of me for longer than it should. I've been this way since I was a small child.

I find consciously forcing a more grateful/positive mentality, focusing on my spiritual/religious beliefs (doing a lot of prayer, meditation, study & volunteer work), and forcing myself to keep a more regular schedule (eating, sleeping, exercising regularly) help. Most importantly, I ease up on self-critical thoughts, allow myself to be human as I do with others, and then focus less on me. I find if I'm empathizing with others, extending them some kindness & personal interest, then I tend to feel better myself.

I don't think the clinically depressed pull out of it with such things. I sort of remind myself I have control.
    Last edited by OrangeAppled; 07-27-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typos
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

6w5 sx/sp
    ILI Ni

Generally, I have never thought I was prone to this kind of thing but it did happen once. It lasted about nine months. What an awful thing. Debilitating. I have much more empathy now for others who are challenged with this.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Yes I do. Almost once a year I go through a period (a few days) of depression. When ever that happens my consistent good habits are ignored and I feel though no matter what I do I wouldn't be to take control of my life.

However ............ read below

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    and forcing myself to keep a more regular schedule help (eating, sleeping, exercising regularly).
    I heavily relate to this part. Whenever I get depressed I have noticed putting myself in a schedules/time-table that results in productivity (long term or short) allows me to come out of depression.

Regular sleeping hours
    Office related schedules
    Interacting/socializing (this is my last resort as I need to feel interactive to interact).

Most of the above gives me a feeling that I am on track and gives me a sense of extreme satisfaction. This includes the meditation part which gives me a feeling of your life is on the right track as opposed to the feeling it should give of relaxation (which it does but at those periods that is not the priority).

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    and then focus less on me. I find if I'm empathizing with others, extending them some kindness & personal interest, then I tend to feel better myself.
    I can't relate to this part at all. Especially the empathizing part. I should give it a try. Hmm.. I have a hunch though that it might not work on me as I have a need to feel in control to be empathize with others which isn't a natural function to me. However I manage to go out of my way to help others even though I can't feel empathy.

4w5 sx/sp

Yes, never been diagnosed or treated but it's very obvious to me and anyone who's around me enough.

Senior Member Array

Symbolic Herald Array

Default edge

I do. Its taken years of my life. I relate to Andrew Soloman's description, and sometimes use it to try to give non-depressives a glimpse into what it feels like.

Last edited by Vasilisa; 07-28-2013 at 05:38 AM.

5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Yes, though I have never been professionally diagnosed. It drains my energy constantly and leaves me in a state of apathy. It is something I bear and sometimes even embrace; I would not be me without it and anti-depressants will not cure it but only suppress it (as well as anything I draw from it.)
    This is faulty thinking.

On occasion it reaches critical mass and I fall into a suicidal abyss (however the trigger is usually an external event or situation which causes internal implosion.) Suicidal thoughts for me have their own unique flavour which are both sickly and sweet. These days they last approximately 24-48 hours before I climb back out the other side and regain my ability to cope. I do not think I learn anything from these events (but perhaps I subconsciously do.) There is never any cutting, self-harm or suicide attempts. There is just longing and romanticisation until I emerge. The world has no idea it has happened and I am alone through the whole experience. When I was younger (these occurrences have been in place for at least a decade or so) they used to last days or weeks at a time so I wonder whether they would eventually catoblize into extremely brief incidents (if not disappear entirely.)
    Untreated recurrent depression tends to get worse, not go into spontaneous remission.
    Although "longing and romanticism" != depression. More like emo teen angst, which, yes, fortunately, people grow out of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.