User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Are you looking to improve your long term planning, or short term planning? Or both?
    I suppose I could see the most benefit in the long term department, but even in the short term.

I want to make myself a more capable all around person (in part because that will provide better opportunities for me).

Quote Originally Posted by CapLawyer View Post
    Right now I structure my life myself. I need very little structure. When something needs to get done, I develop a system for it, find a way to have someone else do it, or wallow in my impending failure because I can't get going. Though I struggle with procrastination and sometimes laziness (more in the past than now), I would rather fail and be miserable than have to deal with someone else imposing their stuff onto me. And that's the downside of getting help from a J. They regiment my life to a screeching and boring halt, get in the way, bother me with things I don't care about, and ruin any chance I have of succeeding in the way I'd like to. Not worth it for me.
    Sounds familiar.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    This sounds right, though I suppose I don't have especially clear and/or existent long term goals. Maybe that's the first step.
    Well it doesn't have to be so huge of a thing. I meant things like eating healthier or having a functional storage space or whatever. But I guess it could also apply to something like "be a lawyer someday"...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Things that help me:

- Changing the environment. I don't study in my bed--I sit at a table. Always. Preferably in a library, too, but sans that my kitchen table will suffice temporarily. I make spaces for EVERYthing. I am more likely to do things in certain areas than I am anywhere else. If I sit on my bed I am reclining back, relaxing, reading, or surfing the web.. and very, very little else. If I am in a library I can study for hours on end. I work out in certain areas--the trails near my house for running, a certain section of the living room I only occupy during working out.. It really helps set the mood. Like the way lighting candles and scattering petals sets it for sexy cool date. Even if I don't feel like running, as long as I get out to the trails, I somehow find motivation--like, well, I'm here for this and this alone. No sense in wasting it.

- Routine. Doing things at certain times helps a LOT. It is literally the best thing ever. And also the thing procrastinating destroys the most--because suddenly you've delayed one thing so that it bleeds into something you're more likely to do.. I.E. I watched this TV show, and now its the time I normally do laundry.. But laundry sounds way funner than what I was going to do prior to said TV show. So laundry it is. Regardless of the fact I can do both at once. So, the way I combat that is the environment change that I said above. This is NOT at all perfect, but it's as good as it's getting for me.

- Storms. I don't know what else to call them. Where suddenly you have so much to do you don't even know where to begin, and you just start throwing ALL the things into the spots they need to go and tire yourself out with a fury of getting everything done before x or y. And in the wake you end up with a clean house, stuff done, looking nice, and you collapse after. These pretty much are the only and very temporary fix to my procrastination.

- Writing things down. I have a white board that I write on every day--things coming up, things I need to do.. and I post it RIGHT next to my bed. When I wake up, I look at it. When I'm putting my shoes on--there it is. When I think I'll just rest for a second, there it is again. At night, I can go erase what I did.. or frowny face at all the stuff I didn't do. I'll set temporary alarms on my phone if I need to call places back, or ship items online. I have a laundry timer app for buzzing me when the dryer is going to be finished. Anything helps.

- Timed events. This helps a LOT when I want to delay something but really can't. I got it from a cheesy cleaning book, but it works with a lot of things honestly. I clean for maybe 10-15 minutes a day and nothing more. I just set up a 15 minute long play list, and get moving on it until it ends. I'll read a book for an hour until a buzzer goes off from my phone. Or work on a project for 30 minutes and then go start on something else before it burns me out. Slowly over time is sometimes way better than trying to power through it all.

- Reward/punish myself. I know that sounds really kiddish, but I totally do it and it totally works for me. Nothing crazy.. but I can't visit certain websites until I've washed my face properly since my medicine requires nightly application to the skin. Or I'll want to order something for a friend, so I decide I can do that as soon as I finish x project. And suddenly I find motivation for it.

... This makes me look a lot more structured than I tend to be. But I do do all of this.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I suppose I could see the most benefit in the long term department, but even in the short term.

I want to make myself a more capable all around person (in part because that will provide better opportunities for me).
    Ok, so I'm probably more of an expert in long term goals/planning. Short term, like doin the laundry and chores n shit, not my thing. I would prefer someone else to do that stuff. I don't have anyone to ask to do those things though lol, so I still somehow manage to get them done, but they plague me.

The first thing you want to do is find what people call your "definite major purpose". This is the goal that is like the end all of goals. So in theory, once you have decided that goal, all other goals are made easy.

So you start off listing all the goals ever that you want to achieve.

I'll use me as an example: Eat right, exercise regularly, get my sleep to be regular, stop getting sick, make my life stress free, find a mate, etc.

To me one of the easiest ways to eliminate or solve any of these problems would be to start a routine.

Therefore building routines would my major definite purpose. This "purpose" can change all the time, or it may stay the same for a very long time. You have to keep re-evaluting where in life you've been, where you are now, and where you want to go. I don't neccesarily veiw it as my "life purpose" though. But this major purpose should and most likely will affect all areas of your life: Relationships, work, home life, fun, health, etc.

Once you figure this out the rest should be easy. Now you can make a list of everything that you can do today, right now, that can make you go in the direction of that purpose. You want to make a list of at least20 things. (That's important) If you can't get to 20 the first try, stop and come back later. But the awesome part about this step is that the answers will start coming, and that's where you're gonna start feeling more motivated, fulfilled, and happier, because you will start to get answers that you wouldn't normally think of. And those answers are usually the "aha moment" answers.

I am just going from my experience after reading a book called "Goals"
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Things that help me:

- Changing the environment. I don't study in my bed--I sit at a table. Always. Preferably in a library, too, but sans that my kitchen table will suffice temporarily. I make spaces for EVERYthing. I am more likely to do things in certain areas than I am anywhere else. If I sit on my bed I am reclining back, relaxing, reading, or surfing the web.. and very, very little else. If I am in a library I can study for hours on end. I work out in certain areas--the trails near my house for running, a certain section of the living room I only occupy during working out.. It really helps set the mood. Like the way lighting candles and scattering petals sets it for sexy cool date. Even if I don't feel like running, as long as I get out to the trails, I somehow find motivation--like, well, I'm here for this and this alone. No sense in wasting it.

- Routine. Doing things at certain times helps a LOT. It is literally the best thing ever. And also the thing procrastinating destroys the most--because suddenly you've delayed one thing so that it bleeds into something you're more likely to do.. I.E. I watched this TV show, and now its the time I normally do laundry.. But laundry sounds way funner than what I was going to do prior to said TV show. So laundry it is. Regardless of the fact I can do both at once. So, the way I combat that is the environment change that I said above. This is NOT at all perfect, but it's as good as it's getting for me.

- Storms. I don't know what else to call them. Where suddenly you have so much to do you don't even know where to begin, and you just start throwing ALL the things into the spots they need to go and tire yourself out with a fury of getting everything done before x or y. And in the wake you end up with a clean house, stuff done, looking nice, and you collapse after. These pretty much are the only and very temporary fix to my procrastination.

- Writing things down. I have a white board that I write on every day--things coming up, things I need to do.. and I post it RIGHT next to my bed. When I wake up, I look at it. When I'm putting my shoes on--there it is. When I think I'll just rest for a second, there it is again. At night, I can go erase what I did.. or frowny face at all the stuff I didn't do. I'll set temporary alarms on my phone if I need to call places back, or ship items online. I have a laundry timer app for buzzing me when the dryer is going to be finished. Anything helps.

- Timed events. This helps a LOT when I want to delay something but really can't. I got it from a cheesy cleaning book, but it works with a lot of things honestly. I clean for maybe 10-15 minutes a day and nothing more. I just set up a 15 minute long play list, and get moving on it until it ends. I'll read a book for an hour until a buzzer goes off from my phone. Or work on a project for 30 minutes and then go start on something else before it burns me out. Slowly over time is sometimes way better than trying to power through it all.

- Reward/punish myself. I know that sounds really kiddish, but I totally do it and it totally works for me. Nothing crazy.. but I can't visit certain websites until I've washed my face properly since my medicine requires nightly application to the skin. Or I'll want to order something for a friend, so I decide I can do that as soon as I finish x project. And suddenly I find motivation for it.

... This makes me look a lot more structured than I tend to be. But I do do all of this.
    Ha ha these are all really great! I especially like the Timed Events part, I will have to try that with my stupid chores

Freedom isn't free.
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    10w12

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Ha ha these are all really great! I especially like the Timed Events part, I will have to try that with my stupid chores
    That one really does work great. Though, music I find works better than a timer. I do it impromptu all the time too--to make myself feel super accomplished. "Oh, crap, the dryer still has 9 minutes to go... Can I clean the fridge out in 9 minutes from all those left overs from gods-know-when?" Then I feel like a rock star completing TWO things.. Yeah, somehow I count that as two.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

That one really does work great. Though, music I find works better than a timer. I do it impromptu all the time too--to make myself feel super accomplished. "Oh, crap, the dryer still has 9 minutes to go... Can I clean the fridge out in 9 minutes from all those left overs from gods-know-when?" Then I feel like a rock star completing TWO things.. Yeah, somehow I count that as two.
    Meh, that's because it is. I love being efficient to the point that I love to eat in the car cause I'm driving, eating a sandwich, listening to music, and soaking up the sun. Haha!

I think I would need both the music to make me motivated, and the timer, cause once the music starts, I may not notice it stops. I would need something to alert me it's time to go back to laundry. lol

Freedom isn't free.
    10w12

MBTI
    XXFP

Hey, thanks for writing. Somehow I knew you would have something to say on the subject.

Things that help me:

Well I'm working on my various work spaces (blog update), so I'm doing this...sorta.

See I set up a work table in the corner and an extension cord long enough to easily bring my laptop over to the couch for relaxing time.

But it seems my laptop seems to migrate and hang out by the couch...most the time.

So I'll try and enforce this better.

I don't do this at all. There is no routine. I wake up, maybe I'll eat, maybe I'll clean, maybe I'll work out, maybe I'll lay on the floor for a while.

So I probably could benefit from adding something to my schedule to do on the regular.

I like the idea of regular food. Who doesn't like food? Wake up, sit, eat. Maybe include radio news.

I do this with great heroism.

My whiteboard is posted next to the couch, with plenty of colors. It needs more frowny faces though, because I don't refer to it as much as I should, but having it right there does work nicely.

I do this a little. I suppose I could just do it more.

This does work. Incentivize.

Good list!

Translated:

So:
    - reinforce space boundaries more
    - schedule something regular to warm up to routines. food sounds as good as anything.

wake up, food and radio time. for a week. ughh. ok fine. tomorrow day 1.

- i already do storms
    - refer to the white board(s) more, keep checking back on them. maybe that should be a routine...

ok, revision, food, check the whiteboard, radio time.

- more event timers on repeating tasks or just stuff that needs to get done. do it in chunks.
    - keep myself honest with rewards and punishments.

OK and Inari I'll get back to you in the AM (after food and whiteboard and radio, apparently) because I'm passing out and that's a long post.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Things that help me:

I have also found the above to be very helpful as well. Although I haven't used timed events in awhile. I am sure I'll be doing that a lot more once I'm back in school!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

...and keep it from falling apart?
    Well...what are your goals?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth