Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
Yeah, it's different. All of that has been done and the boy has spent a week in the hospital as recently as April, but he wants her to comfort him day and night and it's just not going to happen. She's 13, he's 14, she can't be his counselor no matter how much he wants her to be that. I'm not being aggressive to him, I have a lot of compassion for what he's going through as I've struggled with depression myself, but they are in an unhealthy dynamic and she's my first priority. Drawing boundaries is not being aggressive and I'd worry about the child of any parent who didn't draw boundaries in this situation.
Fair dues, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
My oldest daughter went through something not quite the same in middle school: one of her friends said something about killing herself when she was really upset and my daughter became very distraught and went to the school counselor to try to get help for her. Her friend, by the next day, was fine and back to her usual bubbly self. My daughter lost all respect for her and, though they continued to hang out, never really thought of her a friend again after that. She is a lot more cautions with people and is more selective about what kinds of people she's friends with as a result of that whole thing, I think.

My younger daughter seems to be an NF and she has that thing where near strangers tell her their deepest, darkest secrets. So we were just talking last night about trying to round up the contact info of the people she should be referring them to, instead of having them just dump their stuff on her when she is in no way qualified or equipped to be a crisis counselor at the ripe age of eighteen.
Smart of your daughter to be careful about who she becomes friends with.