User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Default Schroedinger's Killer

So I was walking back at night, on my way home from my shift at work. It's a short walk, and though sketch, one I can usually take without being too afraid. I'm about to turn into the street where I live, and at the corner of the intersection, a dude pulls up and asks if I need a ride. I ignore him at first, hoping he'll just give up and drive off, but he asks again.

This time, I tell him no. That would be stupid. (I didn't say that part.)

But as he drove away, I figured there were two possibilities. He could have been a guy genuinely offering a ride or he could have been a rapist/killer. There's no way of knowing. I'll never know if he wanted to kill me, because I never said yes.

What strikes me is how drastically different the outcomes of these possibilities were, and yet both were equally likely given the information I had. (Okay, not equally. I guess statistically, he was less likely to be a killer than a guy offering a ride. And there's the possibility that there were other possible outcomes as well. Also, I would have never said yes, so there's that, too.)

It's crazy to think that I could be handcuffed to someone's water heater right now, or perhaps be exactly where I am, based off of such a simple decision at such a moment in time.

Maybe it's a little narcissistic to think that someone is only offering a ride because they have their sights set on my death. He could have just been in a generous mood. Who knows.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Same can be said about any unlikely but highly negative event. What are the odds you will get in an accident next time you ride in a car - but do you fasten your seatbelt? How about whether a burglar will rob your house - but you probably lock your door. An event doesn't have to be likely or frequent to be risky.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    But as he drove away, I figured there were two possibilities. He could have been a guy genuinely offering a ride or he could have been a rapist/killer..

the two possibilities are; 1) he wanted some sweet sweet loving and is some deuce who tries to get some from anyone. 2) he wanted some pussy by any means and possibly has some brutal masochistic tendencies.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

WALMART

The universe is astounding, if you've got the mind for it.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    So I was walking back at night, on my way home from my shift at work. It's a short walk, and though sketch, one I can usually take without being too afraid. I'm about to turn into the street where I live, and at the corner of the intersection, a dude pulls up and asks if I need a ride. I ignore him at first, hoping he'll just give up and drive off, but he asks again.

This time, I tell him no. That would be stupid. (I didn't say that part.)

But as he drove away, I figured there were two possibilities. He could have been a guy genuinely offering a ride or he could have been a rapist/killer.
    Rapist (slash) killer.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”