User Tag List

First 1234 Last

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yeah, no way this is accurate. My IQ is not 103.

WALMART

Consistent, the four tests I've taken (including the armed services battery) have placed me in the 130's with no deviation.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    As far as I can tell, IQ tests essentially test nothing other than working memory, and the more culturally unbiased they try to be, the more solely they test working memory, with only peripheral hints of other things (like geometric perception). On in other words, the Intelligence Quotient is in fact the Working Memory Quotient.

Working memory both highly useful where it is applicable and applicable to a very wide range of things. However, it is hardly the essence of intelligence, and I suppose that's the main reason I dislike the weight placed upon it.
    Exactly. (And I do admire the people who've done well on this test. After a while I was really bored and overwhelmed, and it's impressive that that kind of thought comes naturally to some people.)

I agree with @greenfairy. If 100 is average and most of the people in this thread -- who, as far as I can tell, are pretty bright -- are scoring in the 100-110 range, something's obviously not right. Yeah, IQ in general is a very crude measure of intelligence, but this test appears to be much worse than the typical "culturally biased" ones.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

A curious thing happened. I took test about 5 times now. Every single time I've gotten a score of 126, even though I've been keeping track of which answers I've changed.

Just to make sure it didn't somehow cache my results and stick me with them, I answered at random and got a score of 70. So it wasn't stuck.

This makes me wonder about how the score is formulated. Unless I miraculously managed to counter balance all of my changes from wrong to right with changes from right to wrong over the course of all 5 takings, there must not be a 1 to 1 relationship between the answers and the scores. That would result in every single configuration of right and wrong answers producing a unique score. Barring the miracle, that would have given me something other than 126 by now.

So, how do you think it's weighted?

Quote Originally Posted by decrescendo View Post
    Exactly. (And I do admire the people who've done well on this test. After a while I was really bored and overwhelmed, and it's impressive that that kind of thought comes naturally to some people.)

I agree with @greenfairy. If 100 is average and most of the people in this thread -- who, as far as I can tell, are pretty bright -- are scoring in the 100-110 range, something's obviously not right. Yeah, IQ in general is a very crude measure of intelligence, but this test appears to be much worse than the typical "culturally biased" ones.
    I'm not going to say the test is worse. It's just in kind of a niche. They are right to make a test that avoids use of math, language, or any questions about cultural norms. However, that leaves you few options but abstract imagery in patterns. As I said, it tests working memory and a hint of geometric perception. Even the last question (which baffles the hell out of me) would probably be not too difficult if I possessed immaculate working memory, because I could hold onto every detail and sniff out a pattern quickly.

What I'd say to greenfairy is, don't be too surprised if you get 103, and don't take it to mean too much about your mental faculties. This is actually the first time I've taken any IQ test anywhere, because I'm not that interested. I've long explained that the elements of my intelligence that I value the most are not even accounted for by IQ.

The relationship between how high someone's IQ is and how much I care is essentially bimodal (the inverse of a bell curve). Until someone is in some serious outlier position like 150 or 70, I don't think it's even worth regarding. If someone ever asks you "do you know what my IQ is" you should respond with some variation of "irrelevant to me?" or "totally uninteresting?"
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Got 105.

My opinion on IQ tests:

-The scores are very improvable. Train hard enough and you'll begin to see the patterns much more quickly (personally, I didn't get to finish the last 12 or something).

-If you're routinely solving math problems, you should have a considerable edge on other people.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

@Magic Poriferan I don't think this one is as related to working memory. My working memory is terrible and I did pretty well. It has to do a lot more with pattern recognition and probably spatial intelligence (eg. a lot of it required being able to mentally rotate or move objects). I do agree it only tests a limited range of intelligence.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    @Magic Poriferan I don't think this one is as related to working memory. My working memory is terrible and I did pretty well. It has to do a lot more with pattern recognition and probably spatial intelligence (eg. a lot of it required being able to mentally rotate or move objects). I do agree it only tests a limited range of intelligence.
    Perhaps your working memory is not as bad as you think. Working memory is generally involved in detecting sequential patterns

Working memory is the system that actively holds multiple pieces of transitory information in the mind, where they can be manipulated. This involves execution of verbal and nonverbal tasks—such as reasoning and comprehension—and makes them available for further information-processing.[1] Working memory can be partly distinguished from short term memory, depending on how these two forms of memory are defined.[2] Working memory includes subsystems that store and manipulate visual images or verbal information, as well as a central executive that coordinates the subsystems. It includes visual representation of the possible moves, and awareness of the flow of information into and out of memory, all stored for a limited amount of time.[3] Working memory tasks require monitoring (i.e., manipulation of information or behaviors) as part of completing goal-directed actions in the setting of interfering processes and distractions. The cognitive processes needed to achieve this include the executive and attention control of short-term memory, which permit interim integration, processing, disposal, and retrieval of information. These processes are sensitive to age: working memory is associated with cognitive development, and research shows that its capacity tends to decline with old age. Working memory is a theoretical concept central both to cognitive psychology and neuroscience. In addition, neurological studies demonstrate a link between working memory and learning and attention.
    Basically, in these questions, particularly as you approach the end and they become more complex, working memory is relevant in order to juggle the various details of the images in order to test a pattern.

On the other hand, pattern recognition is not confined to working memory, but in those cases concerns things that are in no way relevant to this particularly test, such a long-term/crystalized memory.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Perhaps your working memory is not as bad as you think. Working memory is generally involved in detecting sequential patterns

Basically, in these questions, particularly as you approach the end and they become more complex, working memory is relevant in order to juggle the various details of the images in order to test a pattern.

On the other hand, pattern recognition is not confined to working memory, but in those cases concerns things that are in no way relevant to this particularly test, such a long-term/crystalized memory.
    I don't know, maybe you're right, but I do have difficulty with the juggling aspect. I have to really work hard to focus and have to consciously strain to keep that stuff in my head. I often have to point to the screen, verbalise the rationale, and count things out etc. I also constantly have to double check because I frequently make stupid mistakes on things like this. Often the necessary logic to arrive at the answer is almost immediately clear to me, but I have to treat myself like an idiot and go through the process very slowly (often several times) to make sure I get the answer right.

That said, I have long wondered if I have some sort of learning disability.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post

-If you're routinely solving math problems, you should have a considerable edge on other people.
    That must be why then, because in my new job I am constantly having to perform mental arithmetic.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Yeah, no way this is accurate. My IQ is not 103.
    I think your IQ is close to mine (~115)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire