Haight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

...your trying to win an discussion on the internet:

-you're*

...trying to look knowledgeable:

-One can never generalize. That's relative, so it depends.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    At a job interview:

Five years from now I see myself taking a long vacation at the beach sipping martinis.
    I've been SO tempted to do that in my recent job interviews!

Five years from now I see myself taking a walk down the beach... heading to my beach wedding... to Channing Tatum. Who will have broken up with his perfect wife, just for me.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    ...your trying to win an discussion on the internet:

-you're*
    I have overcome this many times.

I view it more as handicapping in order to create a challenge where one does not exist. Since, as we all know, English is a worthless degree (shout out to the teachers; love you guys). Which is why I am much more concerned with the average person's numerical aptitude than I am with their inability to use the correct word in a sentence even though I still understand exactly what they are communicating. Which, of course, is the purpose of writing.

Plus, pointing out that someone misused a word during an argument when the word does not impact the debate in any technical way is simply creating a red herring in order to detour the argument since the person may have fallen short while attempting to locate an intelligent response. That seems to be a common tactic.

. . . when passing a sign in the Nevada desert that reads, “Next town, 200 miles”:

“Honey, did you ever read that story about the family that broke down out here and were eventually eaten by coyotes? Tragic. Really tragic. By the way . . . did the mechanic say anything about the gas gauge being stuck? I think it might be stuck on the quarter of a tank mark. Hmm.”
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

when your friend tells you she's pregnant, the correct response is not usually "on purpose?"

yeah, I did that one...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I have overcome this many times.

I view it more as handicapping in order to create a challenge where one does not exist. Since, as we all know, English is a worthless degree (shout out to the teachers; love you guys). Which is why I am much more concerned with the average person's numerical aptitude than I am with their inability to use the correct word in a sentence even though I still understand exactly what they are communicating. Which, of course, is the purpose of writing.

Plus, pointing out that someone misused a word during an argument when the word does not impact the debate in any technical way is simply creating a red herring in order to detour the argument since the person may have fallen short while attempting to locate an intelligent response. That seems to be a common tactic.
    Interesting. I mean, I see how it can be an effective technique to destabilize the other person and gain the upper hand, but I'd hardly call whoever did that 'the winner'. It's a cheap shot, and people who say that get automatically disqualified from my perspective (not that everyone should think like me).

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    when your friend tells you she's pregnant, the correct response is not usually "on purpose?"

yeah, I did that one...

What was her answer?
    -----------------

A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@Rasofy... "surprisingly yes!"

she is the one person I can get away with asking that to...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

He asks you if you would ever cheat on him, you say: "Who else would I cheat on?"

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

You people like these, so here are some more.

Your mom tells you that you can't find happiness in the bottom of a bottle of booze, you reply: "Mom, no one's happy when the booze runs out."

Your girlfriend keeps playing with your iPhone, you exclaim: "Do not touch MY iPhone. It's not an usPhone, nor a wePhone, nor an ourPhone, it's an iPhone."

Your husband wants to try a new sex position, you reply: "How about the one where you stand outside the house."

You're interviewing for a job at Starbucks and the manager asks you why you want to work here, you reply: "So I can spell names wrong on the cups."

I'm here every Saturday, folks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

@Giggly wins the thread
    -----------------

-----------------