User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Time management

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

- Make a list of all the things you have to do.
    - Note the maximum deadline for each of these things. This will give you an idea of their priority.
    - Score the importance of each task on a scale from 1 to 10.
    - Brainstorm all the ways you could do this task, and choose the fastest
    - Estimate the time necessary to complete the task.
    - If necessary, break each bigger task in sub-tasks and refollow the last 4 steps

- Get an agenda (there are lots of nice and free ones on the internet)
    - Fit each of the tasks in your timetable considering all your variables. This is essentially the same as playing "Tetris" but your tasks are your blocks.

- Force yourself to respect your schedule at all costs. In order for this step to work, you need to find what motivates you to complete tasks (competence, money, etc.).
    Oh Crap! That post gives me nightmares! If only, Maverik, if only. :sad:

I have a tape on "100 ways to Motivate Yourself".

Some of the best I use is "Be Slow to Start With". In other words, just tell yourself that you are only going to spend 5 to 15 minutes on said Yuck project and then quit after 15 minutes. However, you may often find that just getting started will keep you going longer. If you find yourself motivated to keep going, then do so. But if you still feel Yuck after 15 minutes, stay true to yourself and quit.

Actually that's the only one I use regularly. Heh! But it's gotten me over the hump quite often.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

- Force yourself to respect your schedule at all costs.
    *GROAN*

Doomed. Utterly.
    I Don't Respect the Schedule.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

- Make a list of all the things you have to do.
    - Note the maximum deadline for each of these things. This will give you an idea of their priority.
    - Score the importance of each task on a scale from 1 to 10.
    - Brainstorm all the ways you could do this task, and choose the fastest
    - Estimate the time necessary to complete the task.
    - If necessary, break each bigger task in sub-tasks and refollow the last 4 steps

- Get an agenda (there are lots of nice and free ones on the internet)
    - Fit each of the tasks in your timetable considering all your variables. This is essentially the same as playing "Tetris" but your tasks are your blocks.

- Force yourself to respect your schedule at all costs. In order for this step to work, you need to find what motivates you to complete tasks (competence, money, etc.).
    Wow.

When I read things like this I am reminded of how very P I am. :rolleyes2:

If I tried to arrange my day according to these instructions I'd be a mess by 10am. Actually, I very much doubt I'd even get through the instructions in part 1; I'd have zoned out part way through making the list of things to do and found something else more interesting to distract me.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    *GROAN*

Doomed. Utterly.
    I Don't Respect the Schedule.
    I do respect my schedule! It just flows and bends as things emerge....

People want me to respect the schedule they've created for me, which is usually lots more linear and inflexible than mine...
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
    Oh Crap! That post gives me nightmares! If only, Maverik, if only. :sad:

I have a tape on "100 ways to Motivate Yourself".

Some of the best I use is "Be Slow to Start With". In other words, just tell yourself that you are only going to spend 5 to 15 minutes on said Yuck project and then quit after 15 minutes. However, you may often find that just getting started will keep you going longer. If you find yourself motivated to keep going, then do so. But if you still feel Yuck after 15 minutes, stay true to yourself and quit.

Actually that's the only one I use regularly. Heh! But it's gotten me over the hump quite often.
    That is a good way to do it. I find, like you do, that sometimes starting is the hardest part.

As far as time management and I go, I always got unsatisfactory marks on my elementary school report cards for "uses time wisely" and I have no doubt I'd get the same marks today.

I mostly try to stay one step ahead of the absolute essentials and it's not great, but it's something.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

At home, I'm kinda screwed cos my partner is also an INTP... We both procrastinate endlessly about all the household chores, although we manage to eat adequately enough (definition of adequate does vary though, from meat and 3 veg, to um, fruit cocktails). When there's tight and important deadlines, I can pull it together and make lists and make everything happen just in time, like when we moved house last year. If there's no deadlines, hmm, yeah, we're screwed. We're both good on the planning, shit at implementing. I would like to borrow a J to come and implement all our wonderful fantastic plans and just do it. Volunteers?

Actually, one thing we have implemented this year is to reduce the clutter and junk. It's easier to be organised if there's less stuff to organise.

At work, I meet my deadlines, usually by leaving things to the last minute and doing it quickly. I've found that I let tasks expand to fill the available time, so I give myself minimum time to do things which is more efficient than faffing endlessly on something. However, if there are no deadlines, it generally doesn't get done (I have warned my team of this - if they want something done, give me a deadline and I will meet that deadline).

I liked the comments of jumping between tasks. I used to beat myself up that I did this all the time - why couldn't I just focus and finish something?!? Now I accept that's how I am and I just let myself do the jumping from task to task, although I try to steer the jumps to things that actually need to be done, rather than reading the news headlines or something. [and while I have been writing this post I have jumped back to INTPc about 7 or 8 times, read a number of new posts and replied to a couple of posts on there etc].
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I procrastinate a lot... but I always end up getting stuff done on time.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I tend to break things up into managable bites. I'll usually make 3 sections: beginning/preliminary stuff, main body stuff, and detail work. This is because I work in bursts of energy...it takes a lot of energy built up to get started, and I'll usually work until I'm tired of what I'm doing (which usually is a few hours).

I cannot, repeat CANNOT, get anything done without some sort of deadline and a handful of guidelines. If I don't know when whatever work I have to do should be finished, I'll never do it. If I don't have some sort of clue as to what the end result should be like, I'll do a less-than-perfect job and be rather unstatisfied with the result.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

Smile Sans Souci

Time is managed by the clock.

But time flows by the season, by day and night, by our biologic rhythms.

Machines are managed by the clock, while we move to our own rhythms.

When we are managed by the clock, we become machines, we start to think like machines, we start to move like machines.

We think we can manage ourselves by four letters.

An alarm clock wakes us in the morning by alarming us to the mechanical tasks that lie ahead. And like obedient children we move through the day with one eye on the clock.

Time though longs to break free from the strictures of the clock. But the clock is ever alert to those making a break for freedom and will crucify you like Spartacus as though the hands of the clock are not crucified every minute by numbers.

The clock is a Christian invention by the monasteries of the Middle Ages who tolled the hours, some for work, some for prayer and some for study, culminating in the assembly line of Henry Ford, not so much a man of the cloth, but a man of the clock.

"History is bunk", said Henry, "There is no room for dancing on my assembly line. I have assembled you as if in church to worship the clock".

So I threw away my watch into the Karuah River and grew my hair long and found time followed me every day. But even time gets tired and slows right down until it lies down and dies. Time stops and I enter another world, sans time, sans clocks.

Sans time and sans culottes I flow into another world -

Sans Souci.