FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    I barely get things done.
    Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    This is a feature of yours I quite like, actually.
    Really?

Because it means I won't get in your way?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Really?

Because it means I won't get in your way?

shh.gif
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmmm, maybe I could delegate something to gatsby... or RC. As a favor.
    Heh, funny enough, my GF was considering trying to be a virtual assistant. She loves organising people's lives... and getting lazy people like me to do stuff.

(Guess who I delegate to? )

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Consider getting a self-help book on procrastination/getting organized/time management. A lot of times these sorts of problems are solved by just finding some easy little trick that works for you.

FL
    Yeah, I was using the 43 folders/GTD method for a while. It worked, but I'm out of practice. Bleh.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    INTP

How do the rest of you open-ended people get the necessary things done?

I redefine "necessary". Most things aren't.

MBTI
    INTP

Provigil.

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Heh, funny enough, my GF was considering trying to be a virtual assistant. She loves organising people's lives... and getting lazy people like me to do stuff.

(Guess who I delegate to?
    Ha! This was funny. I like to be a time management guru. I am always talking to the P's I work with about changing their views : "OK why don't we reevaluate this situation and look at the possibilities of how you could have gotten more done in less time?" LOL I have to let out a sigh when the look of 'Do you think I actually care?' or 'You were lucky to get that!' comes out from time to time. Sometimes they seem genuinely interested but the interest fades pretty quick .
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    Ha! This was funny. I like to be a time management guru. I am always talking to the P's I work with about changing their views : "OK why don't we reevaluate this situation and look at the possibilities of how you could have gotten more done in less time?" LOL I have to let out a sigh when the look of 'Do you think I actually care?' or 'You were lucky to get that!' comes out from time to time. Sometimes they seem genuinely interested but the interest fades pretty quick .
    LOL! I think just the phrasing of your question would garner a cold glare of irritation from me, were I moved enough to show expression.

RDF

Yeah, I was using the 43 folders/GTD method for a while. It worked, but I'm out of practice. Bleh.
    I don't know that particular organizational system. Over the years I learned a lot of different organizational systems. (I occasionally worked in admin offices in the service, and I temped as a secretary between regular jobs when I was younger.) So nowadays when I have a task to organize, I figure out a simple organizational system specifically for that task based on something I've seen in the past. I try to make the organizational system as simple and dumbed-down as possible so that it won't get in the way of doing the actual task. I have lots of different organizational systems that are each customized to a specific task.

By contrast, what I described in my earlier post was mainly about just getting past the procrastination stage and getting to work. It's more of a gimmick rather than an organizational system.

After the military, figuring out how to organize things was always the easy part. The hard part--for me--has always been to think up gimmicks to get past the procrastination stage and get myself actually working on projects; and/or to keep on top of simple or repetitive tasks so that they don't mount up in piles around the house or office.

FL

MBTI
    ENTJ

How do the rest of you open-ended people get the necessary things done?

- Make a list of all the things you have to do.
    - Note the maximum deadline for each of these things. This will give you an idea of their priority.
    - Score the importance of each task on a scale from 1 to 10.
    - Brainstorm all the ways you could do this task, and choose the fastest
    - Estimate the time necessary to complete the task.
    - If necessary, break each bigger task in sub-tasks and refollow the last 4 steps

- Get an agenda (there are lots of nice and free ones on the internet)
    - Fit each of the tasks in your timetable considering all your variables. This is essentially the same as playing "Tetris" but your tasks are your blocks.

- Force yourself to respect your schedule at all costs. In order for this step to work, you need to find what motivates you to complete tasks (competence, money, etc.).