User Tag List

Thread: A Rant

MBTI
    INTP

Default A Rant

Gather round, gather round, friends, for tonight I tell you a tale of woe. Boil the kettle, make a cuppa and settle in for a sceál and a half. Apologies in advance for the wall of text.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So I just had the crappest 3-hour shift of my entire working life (which admittedly isn't very long).

I was doing the 7-10 shift alone, as usual. The person who was in before me had hardly any of the night-time cleaning done, leaving me with close to 5 hours work to get done in 3. Awesome. So all evening I'm running around like a mad yoke trying to get everything done.

We generally stop serving at 9.30. Grand. Because I'm running so late, I start closing up on the dot of 9.30 - ovens go off, start putting away the salads. Some young fellas come in and insist it's only 9.25 and I have to serve them. I just kept repeating, "Sorry my till says 9.30, we're closed" (admittedly our till is a few mins fast). After a minute or two of this they go away and stand in a corner of the shop. Another guy (we'll call him Bob for this story) who had ordered his sub at 9.20 came back to pay for it after doing his shopping.

The group sees me serving Bob and come over saying, "Why do you have to be like that? How come you're opening your till for him when you told us it said 9.30? We've been here since 25 past and you wouldn't serve us!" At this point Bob intercedes, furious, telling them to back off, that he'd ordered 15 minutes ago, that the till is automated and I have no control over it*. Bob and the group have an enormous argument

The supervisor from the shop floor comes over, the group complain to him. Bob says his side of the story. Supervisor** just asks me if I am closed, to which I nod. He says ok, stay closed. Tells the group to come back in the morning if they want to speak to subway manager.

Then supervisor comes back over to count my till and close it for the day. Group see that the till is open again and are disgusted that I wouldn't serve them. Bob is complaining to supervisor that I am a woman on my own being harassed in my place of work, that the group wouldn't dare if I were a man***, that he should be supporting me when a woman has to work alone on the subway counter etc. At this point I'm feeling utterly humiliated and not a little patronised. All this time I've been cleaning the front counters, sweeping, not looking at what was happening etc.

After Bob has finished complaining, he leaves. Group leaves after taking note of my name, manager's name, and saying they'll be back tomorrow to complain.

I should have just served them. Normally I'm pretty flexible and if it's only just 9.30 or if it's been quiet I'll serve someone after I technically close. But because the toaster was already off and I was already going to stay unpaid for at least 20 minutes to finish, I didn't want to.

The worst part is, they probably wanted meatballs which we didn't even have

* Not strictly true, but I was keeping mum about that bit.
    **Nicest guy ever, sweet as pie, but not great in confrontations
    *** Highly doubt it, in fact they'd probably have been worse if I were a guy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So anyone else got any good rants to share?
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Gather round, gather round, friends, for tonight I tell you a tale of woe. Boil the kettle, make a cuppa and settle in for a sceál and a half. Apologies in advance for the wall of text.

So I just had the crappest 3-hour shift of my entire working life (which admittedly isn't very long).

I was doing the 7-10 shift alone, as usual. The person who was in before me had hardly any of the night-time cleaning done, leaving me with close to 5 hours work to get done in 3. Awesome. So all evening I'm running around like a mad yoke trying to get everything done.

We generally stop serving at 9.30. Grand. Because I'm running so late, I start closing up on the dot of 9.30 - ovens go off, start putting away the salads. Some young fellas come in and insist it's only 9.25 and I have to serve them. I just kept repeating, "Sorry my till says 9.30, we're closed" (admittedly our till is a few mins fast). After a minute or two of this they go away and stand in a corner of the shop. Another guy (we'll call him Bob for this story) who had ordered his sub at 9.20 came back to pay for it after doing his shopping.

The group sees me serving Bob and come over saying, "Why do you have to be like that? How come you're opening your till for him when you told us it said 9.30? We've been here since 25 past and you wouldn't serve us!" At this point Bob intercedes, furious, telling them to back off, that he'd ordered 15 minutes ago, that the till is automated and I have no control over it*. Bob and the group have an enormous argument

The supervisor from the shop floor comes over, the group complain to him. Bob says his side of the story. Supervisor** just asks me if I am closed, to which I nod. He says ok, stay closed. Tells the group to come back in the morning if they want to speak to subway manager.

Then supervisor comes back over to count my till and close it for the day. Group see that the till is open again and are disgusted that I wouldn't serve them. Bob is complaining to supervisor that I am a woman on my own being harassed in my place of work, that the group wouldn't dare if I were a man***, that he should be supporting me when a woman has to work alone on the subway counter etc. At this point I'm feeling utterly humiliated and not a little patronised. All this time I've been cleaning the front counters, sweeping, not looking at what was happening etc.

After Bob has finished complaining, he leaves. Group leaves after taking note of my name, manager's name, and saying they'll be back tomorrow to complain.

I should have just served them. Normally I'm pretty flexible and if it's only just 9.30 or if it's been quiet I'll serve someone after I technically close. But because the toaster was already off and I was already going to stay unpaid for at least 20 minutes to finish, I didn't want to.

* Not strictly true, but I was keeping mum about that bit.
    **Nicest guy ever, sweet as pie, but not great in confrontations
    *** Highly doubt it, in fact they'd probably have been worse if I were a guy

So anyone else got any good rants to share?

Those dudes sound like jerks. I wouldn't have relented & served them because of that obnoxious behavior on principle alone.
    At least the 9:20 guy's heart was in the right place, albeit a tad biased.
    Hope you get to relax now.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm just hoping I won't have to serve them again any time soon. They're semi-regulars (albeit ones I don't like very much). Meh.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post

lol.

It's pretty whack that people can be so hellbent on eating a sub they are unwilling to simply let it go (granted, Subway is fucking delicious). Oh well.

I remember one time I let a guy in to rent a truck at U-haul five minutes after we closed, I was new and gullible - it turned out to be the biggest nightmare of my life. His card was getting declined, couldn't figure out why, blah blah blah. IT'S NOT WORTH THE GOOD KARMA.

MBTI
    INTP

The upside is that we don't have people trying to get food on Christmas eve and saying we ruined their Christmas

Ah yes, the old card getting declined business. That's always a fun one
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    lol.

It's pretty whack that people can be so hellbent on eating a sub they are unwilling to simply let it go (granted, Subway is fucking delicious). Oh well.

I remember one time I let a guy in to rent a truck at U-haul five minutes after we closed, I was new and gullible - it turned out to be the biggest nightmare of my life. His card was getting declined, couldn't figure out why, blah blah blah. IT'S NOT WORTH THE GOOD KARMA.
    Karma is a filthy lie made up by hippies, anyway.

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Karma is a filthy lie made up by hippies, anyway.

God damned hippies.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    God damned hippies.

Give peace a chance, maaaan.