User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILE

So there's nothing to motivate a sensor to want to learn more about MBTI? Maybe so they can communicate/get along with others better?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Suspicious of what? It's not like we're planning to overthrow the forums or anything. Or are we?

And anyway, I'm the opposite. I find it strange that there are so many N's here when the world is supposedly mostly S's. Don't you think that statistically there should be more S's around here? There are supposedly more of us, so then there would be more of us that happen to stumble this way.
    Suspicious of the accuracy of your type. For instance, the MBTI system does not allow for what you have yourself as, SiFi.

But as it happens, no. The patterns are fairly clear. Intuitives, especially introvert intuitives, seek out personality type systems like this one. There is INTPc, INTJf, and I think there is also a forum for INFPs. Are there any others? Not that I know of.

Sensates are sensates. Lengthy online discussions on computer screens are not sensual things.

I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, but if a person truly is a sensate, they have very little chance of wanting to participate in something like this, and it doesn't really matter how many of them there are, virtually none of them will. Do fish like breathing air? Even there being billions of fish, we still don't see the occasional fish chilling on land. Not a perfect analogy, but maybe you see my point.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl28 View Post
    So there's nothing to motivate a sensor to want to learn more about MBTI? Maybe so they can communicate/get along with others better?
    It's not up their usual alley. It's possible though.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Suspicious of the accuracy of your type. For instance, the MBTI system does not allow for what you have yourself as, SiFi.
    SiFi is supposed to mean ISTJ. Si Te Fi Ne....

Is my type correct? Probably not, but I am definitely IS.

But as it happens, no. The patterns are fairly clear. Intuitives, especially introvert intuitives, seek out personality type systems like this one. There is INTPc, INTJf, and I think there is also a forum for INFPs. Are there any others? Not that I know of.
    There are many reasons why a sensor might examine MBTI and even more reasons why they would join these forums. I just posted in another thread that it interested me because of the elaborate system. This seems to me more like a Ti or Te cause than an S or N one.

Sensates are sensates. Lengthy online discussions on computer screens are not sensual things.
    This is where you are just completely wrong. There are many reasons why people would seek companionship on the Internet. Whether it is because they are shy, introverted, or whatever, many people enjoy talking to people they don't know online.

Why am I here? I don't have any friends. I don't hang out with people or talk to them outside of places where I have to come in contact with them. I have always used the Internet to fulfill my social needs. To say the Internet is only for N's is insulting.

I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, but if a person truly is a sensate, they have very little chance of wanting to participate in something like this, and it doesn't really matter how many of them there are, virtually none of them will. Do fish like breathing air? Even there being billions of fish, we still don't see the occasional fish chilling on land. Not a perfect analogy, but maybe you see my point.
    You're right, I don't have a good response to that. But it is not a good analogy. Although there are many fish, they are not simply disinterested in breathing air, they cannot. Anyone can entertain the idea of MBTI, if even for a little while.

You're not going to like my hypothesis, but here's why I think there are so many N's online and communities dedicated to N's: Somehow, someone stumbles across an MBTI test. They take it, and end up as an N the first time. They read about it and find out that N's are rare in this world. They find out that S's are often "stupid" and N's are the "more intelligent" ones. It makes them feel special. It makes them feel like someone finally understands them. It makes them feel superior. So they learn more about MBTI and only use it to confirm that they really are an N type, instead of examining that they may not be.

On this forum, I've only seen people realize that they may be in fact S's instead of N's. I've never seen an S on this forum actually find out that they were an N.

MBTI
    INTP

.insulting.
    Well, then I can't discuss this with you. The basic facts of MBTI are what they are, if you can't accept them without getting insulted, well, I'm not the guy to try to make you feel like everyone is everything. I've already granted the fact that there are exceptions to all rules. If you happen to be one of those exceptions, congratulations.

The MBTI is a theoretical construct. Fact of facts is, S types do not prefer to deal in theory, at least nowhere near to the extent Ns do. Similarly, N types tend not to enjoy the equally important tasks that are more real-world in nature. Society values both types of intelligence, and lacking one or the other is frowned upon, but the thing is, everyone does have their strengths, and as I said above, not everyone can be everything.

I freely admit that I am awful at almost all sensate oriented tasks, and I would rather not be. That's the price of being an intuitive, you know? If some S wants to come in here and say intuitives don't tend to be good at basic maintenance, mechanics, construction, athletics, style and decor, etc., I can think of plenty of exceptions to those rules, but I'm not about to get offended, because I know it is generally true. That's how this system works. You have to use some generalities and remember there are exceptions.

your resident asshole

Well, then I can't discuss this with you. The basic facts of MBTI are what they are, if you can't accept them without getting insulted, well, I'm not the guy to try to make you feel like everyone is everything. I've already granted the fact that there are exceptions to all rules. If you happen to be one of those exceptions, congratulations.
    You're misinterpreting these things you call "facts." The Internet is a place filled with introverts, not intuitives. Besides, one could argue that this is entirely dependent on which Internet community you visit. Some are much more suited for extraverts, Te-users, etc.

MBTI
    INTP

You're misinterpreting these things you call "facts." The Internet is a place filled with introverts, not intuitives. Besides, one could argue that this is entirely dependent on which Internet community you visit. Some are much more suited for extraverts, Te-users, etc.
    I mean yeah I agree with that part because I really only meant to refer to this particular community, because it is theoretically based.

your resident asshole

I mean yeah I agree with that part because I really only meant to refer to this particular community, because it is theoretically based.
    Okay, I'll give you that one. I misinterpreted you.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I've never seen an S on this forum actually find out that they were an N.
    Ahem.

There do exist people who go from S to N. The problem is, people use your same logic of --

They read about it and find out that N's are rare in this world. They find out that S's are often "stupid" and N's are the "more intelligent" ones. It makes them feel special. It makes them feel like someone finally understands them. It makes them feel superior.
    -- and these S to N people get thoroughly discredited from the N-club, which doesn't want to be sullied by supposed posers. They get eye-rolls and they get ignored.

There's no winning either way. Either you're an N because you're a delusional S playing dress-up or you're an S who wants to be one of the cool kids and tries to wiggle into that magical place where all the sparkly people are rumored to exist.

It's as though large number of intuitives have suspiciously high opinions of themselves.

It's really no one's business what type another person is. It's not your or anyone's place to be bothered by their claim of N vs S or tell them "pfft you're not an N" when their type is mentioned or make unsolicited comments on their type at all. If a person's claim of being an intuitive bothers you, maybe you ought to take some time to meditate on why the personal choices of another person that don't affect you gives you a scrunchy face.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Sinmara View Post
    Ahem.
    Why hello there! Sweet avatar.

There do exist people who go from S to N. The problem is, people use your same logic of --

-- and these S to N people get thoroughly discredited from the N-club, which doesn't want to be sullied by supposed posers. They get eye-rolls and they get ignored.

There's no winning either way. Either you're an N because you're an S wearing a unicorn's skin or you're an S who wants to be one of the cool kids and tries to wiggle into that magical place where all the sparkly people are rumored to exist.
    Yes, of course. It's a double-edged sword. And I am guilty of my faulty thinking. I suppose I was just trying to make sense of my observations, but it isn't totally fair considering I have much less sensors to survey here.

It seems large number of intuitives have suspiciously high opinions of themselves.
    There are a number of reasons for this. On the most basic level, people tend to fall into us-vs.-them tendencies. It's easy to bond when you have a common thing/person/whatever to blame or complain about. On this forum, it tends to be sensors. Yes, it's irritating sometimes. But if it were not sensors, it would just be something else. Statistically speaking, I'd probably be a part of it too.

It's really no one's business what type another person is. It's not your or anyone's place to be bothered by their claim of N vs S or tell them "pfft you're not an N" when their type is mentioned or make unsolicited comments on their type at all. If a person's claim of being an intuitive bothers you, maybe you ought to take some time to meditate on why the personal choices of another person that don't affect you makes you get a scrunchy face.
    MBTI doesn't interest me much anymore, so I really could care less. I just find it odd that considering the supposed percentage of people who are N's, the population of sensors here is so low.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Why hello there! Sweet avatar.
    Thank you. I like to think that it represents my Ni. And my resting bitchface.

MBTI doesn't interest me much anymore, so I really could care less.
    Well, you chose to take time out of your day to be all about it on the internet, so you must care a little.

I just find it odd that considering the supposed percentage of people who are N's, the population of sensors here is so low.
    They're all out having fun and seeing their friends and bicycling and going to concerts and rock climbing and getting drunk and cooking and running businesses and making their family their life and being involved in their community and all that crap.

That leaves us internet trolls to stare at the comforting glow of our computers with pupils dilated not from the darkness in which dwell but from isolated, over-thinky, nerdy joy.

It makes sense that there's a ton of Ns in this place vs the rest of the world. Like attracts like. Ns travel in packs. This is just one huge internet pack.

We are...a wolf pack.

Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.